Gibson Brands Forums

A hard dose of reality

Enmitygauged

A few weeks ago I sold off my Tele it wasnt really a hard choice as I literally never played it and it didnt suit my sound. But yesterday I sold my Trad LP. That was a bit more gut wrenching. I am going through sellers remorse. I didnt need to sell it but I kinda looked around the house at 12 guitars in the house and 14 in the garage and thought what the hell am I doing. I bought the LP Junior special Exclusive as it really suited the sound I am going for. But having the Trad and the Standard. hmm a bit too much of the same thing really. So I sit here a few guitars down a guitar up and secretly look forward to the next guitar that sings to me. I seriously bought the Trad for its top I had serious G.A.S. that day -_-

" Friends don't let friends sell guitar. "

Interesting....I don't view 26 guitars as being too many at all.....I am aware that you can afford your gas...Hmmm.......

I own a variety of Les Pauls....Most have different set ups, as far as pickups go, etc etc....Same with my Teles,

and Strats....I view them all as having different feel and tone....Matter of fact, I'm not even in the know of my

guitar count.....I like it that way, so much so that a MIA Strat and a MIA S.G. are on it's way home to me......

And I can't afford my GAS, as I'm on a limited disabled income..........But, you gotta do what you gotta do....

I guess.......[confused] :unsure: :-k :-k :-k .........

" Friends don't let friends sell guitar. "

Interesting....I don't view 26 guitars as being too many at all.....I am aware that you can afford your gas...Hmmm.......

I own a variety of Les Pauls....Most have different set ups, as far as pickups go, etc etc....Same with my Teles,

and Strats....I view them all as having different feel and tone....Matter of fact, I'm not even in the know of my

guitar count.....I like it that way, so much so that a MIA Strat and a MIA S.G. are on it's way home to me......

And I can't afford my GAS, as I'm on a limited disabled income..........But, you gotta do what you gotta do....

I guess.......[confused] :unsure: :-k :-k :-k .........

I just had a 3000 dollar guitar sitting there doing nothing as my Standard was my main player. it irritated me. basically thats all. I dont like to not use things when I can use the money for something else.

the tele irritated me. the more I changed my style to LP's the less I could get that damn thing to sound the way it used to.

I just had a 3000 dollar guitar sitting there doing nothing as my Standard was my main player. it irritated me. basically thats all. I dont like to not use things when I can use the money for something else.

the tele irritated me. the more I changed my style to LP's the less I could get that damn thing to sound the way it used to.

I do understand Colin.....Some musicians view their guitars as tools of their trade, and keep their stable of guitars to the ones

which are "practical.".....Some musicians keep many guitars......I know and understand both views..................................

Myself, I view them as tools and as things of beauty.....That's a nice way of avoiding calling myself a " Guitar Wh*re "....[blink] ....

I think different guitars suit my different moods. They also better handle different sorts of gigs that have offered themselves up to me over the years. I really regret trading some that I had in my 20s and early 30s.

Our heads change as we grow. My 175 sat in a case for some 25-30 years with flatwounds on it, then one day... I got a wild idea, put 9-42s on it and boy, I can't tell you how glad I am I didn't dump it.

OTOH, I don't really regret dumping the Fender Leslie cab. I do regret the orange Gretsch and the Deluxe Reverb and...

Hey, when you're my age, think of the tales you can tell over a coffee or beer... <grin>

But Damian's right. Each instrument is an individual even if the same model, same color and right next to the other one on the manufacturing line. Different strings alone, even with identical setup, will change how it sounds and how you play it.

So... I dunno. I really don't - other than that comment above: Whatever you do or don't do with the gear, think of the tales you'll have in 30 years.

m

I think different guitars suit my different moods. They also better handle different sorts of gigs that have offered themselves up to me over the years. I really regret trading some that I had in my 20s and early 30s.

Our heads change as we grow. My 175 sat in a case for some 25-30 years with flatwounds on it, then one day... I got a wild idea, put 9-42s on it and boy, I can't tell you how glad I am I didn't dump it.

OTOH, I don't really regret dumping the Fender Leslie cab. I do regret the orange Gretsch and the Deluxe Reverb and...

Hey, when you're my age, think of the tales you can tell over a coffee or beer... <grin>

But Damian's right. Each instrument is an individual even if the same model, same color and right next to the other one on the manufacturing line. Different strings alone, even with identical setup, will change how it sounds and how you play it.

So... I dunno. I really don't - other than that comment above: Whatever you do or don't do with the gear, think of the tales you'll have in 30 years.

m

Hell I can't remember my name if I don't get mail once a week...30 years?

Like the old joke,

"I finally got my sh+t together, now I forgot where I put it.

Signed,

Occupant.

Jeeze Jax...

How we gonna play pitch or pinochle down at the pool hall with the other snoose droolers? <chortle>

Yuh gotta at least remember the cards long enuf to bid... or which song we're pickin'.

Alas, I fear such dens of iniquity for men in the era of diminished physical strength have gone the way of the steam locomotive and the linotype machine; replaced instead with nice ladies who remind you that you can't smoke and for heaven's sake, why didn't you order vegetables 'stedda meat 'n' potatoes? Hell, summa them nice young ladies actually are guys nowadays or vice versa or...

m

Edit: Makes one wonder if anybody'll even care 'cuz by then the broncs that are gonna get rode have been ridden and long forgotten.

I was helped from my large collection by the evil folks who sold out my storage unit from behind my back.

So I had no choice. I am finding that having a few is just as good as having a buttload. And, I also consider those that have a VERY few because they don't have the means.

It is quite liberating in a way.

I have a few that I could sell because I don't use them but they are part of my collection. Some day if I want to open a daveinspain cafe I can hang them on the walls... [thumbup]

I cant remember whos house it was on one of those MTV Shows. But their staircase was lined with Gibson's each Upright was lined by a Gib, My first thought was christ I hope they havent been drilled. [cursing]

It's a bit like Relationships... Always hard parting! [crying] But guitars should be played! So if you're not using it, sell it on to someone who will. Sure, there may be regret later on down the line, but there will be others...

There are enough "collectors" keeping good guitars off the market. Late 50's Les Pauls, or early 60's Strats, sitting in bank vaults somewhere, just gathering dust as "investment objects". Y'know if those guitars are the "Holy Grail" of sound, then there is something inherently wrong that they're not being played!!!

And, who knows? Maybe the kid who buys your old instrument finds "his" perfect guitar, and writes a piece of musical history with it...

Having said that, this is definitely a case of the pot calling the kettle black, 'cos I've probably got a few instruments myself, that I don't "really" need and wouldn't miss that much. :rolleyes:

Seller remorse was very painful experience for me. I sold off some great musical gear about 20 years ago, echoplex, 69 marshall heads, 67 fender strat, 73 les paul custom and some 70s, and 80s stompboxes, mxr phase 100, eh memory man and so on. To this day, I regret selling them. This is why I never sell off any of my musical equipment and I have accumulated a lot over the years, enough to fill a large guest room, my man cave :P :P :P :P :P

I am willing mine to people who don't even know it. I plan on being around for many more years, but I think about the look on a young friend's face when they get my Gretsch 6120 Nashville. Something to be remembered by.

Years ago I had to sell my Les Paul Deluxe to pay for transmission work on my old Chevy. Thinking back, I wish I would have kept the guitar and just taken up walking. ](*,)

tell me about it. I bought a guitar for its top not its sound not its playability purely for that flame top that looked AAAA+ there was no way it was a standard top but meh another one will come along one day that suits me better and gets me playing it. I just got the Jr Special Ex and I am in love with that more than my Standard even after my guitar tech did a full setup I still prefer the sound of those crushing P90's my 335 is sounding like heaven after its appointment with the tech. Couldnt be happier.

I won't even go there, about regrets, on selling gutiars! I have

(4) that I can think of, that I kick myself, for selling ('68 LP

Custom, '68 Rickenbacker 360-12, '68 SG Standard, and '68 ES 355TDC).

I swore later, that I'd never do that, again. I haven't. I HAVE

traded, one's that I don't play, or just lost interest in, for whatever

reason, for one's that I DO play, now and then, but even that is pretty

rare. And, Yes...I do get tempted, to sell off, to reduce the number's,

at times. But, when I look at them, to see which one's I can part with,

I get over the notion, in a hurry. (Smile)

One (odd?) thing, I've noticed recently, is whenever I go into my dealer,

or GC, Sam Ash, etc., I seem to be really glad, I have what I have already,

and don't really feel the need, for anything more, or different. The only

real exception(s) to that, are my (2) "bucket list" guitars. But, even if I

don't manage to get them, I'm totally ok, with what I have now! So, going

to a guitar store, just to look, seems to cure my GAS, rather then cause me

to buy another one.

CB

Relax. You got 20+ gits. Don't sweat over selling a couple you don't play. My little brother was on the road for 5 months with 2 Fenders. One of em was mine, and he broke it. Oh well, he bought me a new one. If you need 20+ gits to keep you happy, your a hoarder.

A few weeks ago I sold off my Tele it wasnt really a hard choice as I literally never played it and it didnt suit my sound. But yesterday I sold my Trad LP. That was a bit more gut wrenching. I am going through sellers remorse. I didnt need to sell it but I kinda looked around the house at 12 guitars in the house and 14 in the garage and thought what the hell am I doing. I bought the LP Junior special Exclusive as it really suited the sound I am going for. But having the Trad and the Standard. hmm a bit too much of the same thing really. So I sit here a few guitars down a guitar up and secretly look forward to the next guitar that sings to me. I seriously bought the Trad for its top I had serious G.A.S. that day -_-

Don't feel too bad. I have a friend who sold a 1958 and a 1960 Les Paul Standard in the late 70s and ended up with a 1956 Les Paul Special and enough money to buy two VCRs.

It's a bit like Relationships... Always hard parting! [crying] But guitars should be played! So if you're not using it, sell it on to someone who will. Sure, there may be regret later on down the line, but there will be others...

There are enough "collectors" keeping good guitars off the market. Late 50's Les Pauls, or early 60's Strats, sitting in bank vaults somewhere, just gathering dust as "investment objects". Y'know if those guitars are the "Holy Grail" of sound, then there is something inherently wrong that they're not being played!!!

And, who knows? Maybe the kid who buys your old instrument finds "his" perfect guitar, and writes a piece of musical history with it...

Having said that, this is definitely a case of the pot calling the kettle black, 'cos I've probably got a few instruments myself, that I don't "really" need and wouldn't miss that much. :rolleyes:

I have 4 guitars and still want more... but also temper this with the realization that there seems to be one guitar at any given time that is not getting played for a few months. I make a point though to take the guitars out and use them if they go more than 3 months without use, but mainly base what guitar I use on my mood.

I initially bought my Les Paul as more of a collector's item, but it's too nice sounding to let it sit in the case. Even if only for a few minutes at a time I make sure it gets taken out periodically and played. Yes, it could decrease it's value; but being a variation that was limited to only 1000 and seeing the prices that Les Pauls of the 70's and back are fetching in what I call horrible condition, I'm not worried anymore since my old bassist pointed out that I baby my instruments regardless of whether it is an expensive high end guitar or a cheap pawnshop guitar.

Archived