Gibson Brands Forums

'57 Classics

TarHeelKid

I posted this on the intro page as well, so my apologies for the double question(I just hit 10 posts). I have played many Gibson's with different pickups, but just ordered my first with '57 classics(on a 50th Anni SG 24-fret). What do you guys, who own guitars with these pick-ups, think of them? I can't wait until she gets here, I must add!

Hey Tarheel, Can grats on the new SG. Glad to hear it. As for the '57 classics, imho That is the best pick-up for SG bodys. I have a 2007 SG Standard that I put 57s in myself and the sound is beautiful. Try putting differnt caps in it. I have russian pio K40y .047 in the bridge and a .022 in the neck. But even with the stock wiring the 57s sound the best.

Outlaw

I have that guitar you ordered, great pickups with balanced output.

Some don't like them because they sound compressed to them,

I personally love them because they cover a lot of the classic overdriven rock sounds I like.

I love my SG too, great guitar. I hope you get one without defects, there is a lot of that on this production.

Hey Tarheel, Can grats on the new SG. Glad to hear it. As for the '57 classics, imho That is the best pick-up for SG bodys. I have a 2007 SG Standard that I put 57s in myself and the sound is beautiful. Try putting differnt caps in it. I have russian pio K40y .047 in the bridge and a .022 in the neck. But even with the stock wiring the 57s sound the best.

Outlaw

Yep and I did the same with the caps, great improvement.

I just got a Les Paul Classic Custom (Gold-Top) that comes with '57 & '57+,

and I had recently changed my Classic (Standard) to '57's, from the Hot Ceramic

pickups, it came with. The difference was amazing! Finally, got back, the true

"Les Paul" tone, I remembered, from the '60's. Personally, I LOVE them!

CB

Great stuff fellas, and thanks for the love. It was a discounted dent n' scratch from AMS. They assured me it was a minor cosmetic flaw, but I will have to see. I was unaware of the flaws with this issue. I must say, I am getting more and more excited over the pickup reviews.

If you like the PAF tone, you love the 57/+ combo. Gibson engineered them to reproduce a slightly warmer PAF tone. I've got a 359 with them - love the sound. I've played a couple SGs with the 57/+ combo and I also like the way they sound in that setup. Enjoy. . B)

Played PAFs in my lucky youth, put 57 classics in my humbucker'd gigging guitars since they came out. Never even plugged my current les paul in because I had a pair at home to put in it. I've tried them all from all the makers, they work best for me. Slightly underwound, which is what makes them sound so delicious, they don't hit the amp too hard and make it all scritchy and hissy.

I have onea them SGs, it's a beauty, I love it.

rct

The tone is rich, fullbodied like a good cup of coffee.

That's one of the best descriptions I have heard. Hands down 57s are my favorite humbucker. The cleans with those are so sweet. Had a pair in my old Sheraton and they turned that guitar from OK to tonal nirvana.

Archived