Gibson Brands Forums

Penn State

cookieman15061

Anyone that follows college football in general and Penn State in particular has to be shocked at the recent events coming out of Happy Valley.

Looks like the accusations are true as more victims come forward. Paterno is surely done and his great years of running a highly respected program are tarnished forever.sad.gif

Joe Pat passed the allegations up the chain. He did what he was supposed to do. The failure is on the part of the uppers of the athletic department. I doubt this will take away from everything Pat has accomplished in his 347 years as Penn State's head coach. If he resigns, it will because he finally did what he should have done long ago, not over this. What are kids doing on Penn State's campus anyway???

Yea, hearing about the allegations was shocking.

I googled and found out that (what I read) an undergraduate had seen Sadowski doing a 10 year old, then went to Paterno's house and told him about it. Paterno then told his next up what he had been told.

Maybe he knows more. Maybe Paterno did cover something up. Maybe he is guilty, which to me, would be something to be guilty of, But so far, that is all I have been able to find out about what he knew.

Sinse when did someone you don't really know telling you something translate into having knowledge of a terrible act?

I find this all very disturbing, but some elements smell fishy. Do you really think an assistant coach would engage in this horrible act in the Nittany Lions locker room? Knowing anyone could walk in at any time (apparently, somebody did walk in)? If this really happened, would the athletic program risk a cover up for an employee that would be stupid enough to molest a minor in the locker room shower?

As far as Joe Pat is concerned, he has just run out of friends. This hit the fan at a time when everyone was trying to figure out how to get rid of the old b@stard anyway. I heard an interview with Paterno that was broadcasted by an affiliate station that was replayed on Colin Cowherd's ESPN radio show early this year. It portrayed him as a borderline senile, frail, confused, and dementia stricken senior that should be in assisted living, not coaching an elite Big 10 football program. With Bowden bowing out in 09, Joe is certainly the last of his kind, but the athletic program has to be thinking "what have you done lately". Joe has not won a championship since the 1980s as an independent, and went 15 seasons without winning the conference after claiming the title his first year. He has brought home conference titles in 05 and 08 (which is probably the only reason he was not let go years ago), but Penn State leadership has to be ready for some fresh legs in the coaching department. This is just a convenient way to let the old man go. If this was a young elite level coach, you bet PS would be fighting to save him. This is just what happens when you don't know when to duck out. He should have bounced after the 08 Rose Bowl.

What are kids doing on Penn State's campus anyway???

Almost all higher-educational institutions sponsor or cater to summer programs for elementary and high-school age kids. It's a way to utilize resources and staff as well as to generate revenue during the off months. Not to mention a priviledge for the kids to use pro-level facilities and receive training from world-class instructors. It's not the victim's fault that some pervert coach abused them. They had nothing to do with arranging the programs, paying the fees, or ending up alone in a shower with a child molester. That's all on PSU and the jacka$$es that oversaw the program and then tried to cover it up.

As a Pennsylvanian that has been to the main and satellite campuses many times I am sickened by all this. I was hoping to send both my kids to PSU, but that's off the table now unless they close the football program down permanently: http://www.washingto...oiL0M_blog.html

In any case, I hope the string they ba$tards up. I do agree that Joe Pat should resign - It's long overdue anyway. He should have called the police straight away.

PS, I have noticed that the PSU stickers on every other car around here seem to have disappeared overnight....

PennState.jpg

PennStateCartoon.jpg

I never implied that it was the victim's fault. I was simply wondering what a kid was doing in the Penn State locker room. I attended a Big 12 school with an elite football program, and even employees of the Athletic department had to sign waivers just to walk through the weight room. Ive seen all kinds of scandals involving improper benefits, police corruption, and domestic violence cover ups, but I have never seen a kid within 10,000 feet of the Cornhusker locker room. Basketball camps and track meets? Sure. But I can promise you that Penn State does not turn its multimillion dollar work out facility into a McDonald's play land to generate a couple of bucks in the summer. I WORKED for an athletic department, and I think I was in the locker room twice. Why? Because players and coaching staff are the only ones allowed in the locker room.

First, I don't believe that a coach of an AQ program would be dumb enough to do something like this at work. Second, I don't believe you can randomly grab a kid from basketball camp and take them back to the locker room for a shower, and third, I don't believe anyone would consciously cover up a credible allegation like this and risk the kind of mayhem that has ensued for a coach that has displayed very questionable judgement.

Everyone grabbed their torches and nooses when the story broke, but no one stopped to think.....does this story even sound plausible? or even possible?

First, I don't believe that a coach of an AQ program would be dumb enough to do something like this at work.

That's what people thought about Catholic priests. It's also why the abuse went on for decades. In Ireland, it permeated the Catholic-run entire K-12 system for 50 years. http://www.belfastte...l-14312313.html

Second, I don't believe you can randomly grab a kid from basketball camp and take them back to the locker room for a shower,

You can if you have worked there for 30+ years and have unquestionable authority - just like Priests.

and third, I don't believe anyone would consciously cover up a credible allegation like this and risk the kind of mayhem that has ensued for a coach that has displayed very questionable judgement.

I don't think JP thought he was actively participating in a coverup, he thought that reporting it to his superiors was enough. Turns out, he was wrong.

Everyone grabbed their torches and nooses when the story broke, but no one stopped to think.....does this story even sound plausible? or even possible?

Some people would like to try the Pope for War Crimes because the abuse went on for so long and was essentially santcioned by the Mother Church. If your child was abused by a Priest, a coach, a teacher, or anyone else assumed to have unimpeachable moral authority, you'd grab a pitchfork and a torch too.

BTW, Sandusky's facing charges of molesting 8 boys. Is it plausible that 8 different kids would conspire to make up similar storys? And why? How many more will come forward in the next few months? I think it will be dozens, if not hundreds. http://www.nytimes.c...chsexabusecases

The trouble with the court of public opinion is that the verdict comes in first, then the trial. Maybe all of the alligations are true, maybe not, but either way my heart goes out to the victims, whoever they are. I also feel for the students and the university who are caught in the crossfire of this terrible ordeal.

I never implied that it was the victim's fault. I was simply wondering what a kid was doing in the Penn State locker room. I attended a Big 12 school with an elite football program, and even employees of the Athletic department had to sign waivers just to walk through the weight room. Ive seen all kinds of scandals involving improper benefits, police corruption, and domestic violence cover ups, but I have never seen a kid within 10,000 feet of the Cornhusker locker room. Basketball camps and track meets? Sure. But I can promise you that Penn State does not turn its multimillion dollar work out facility into a McDonald's play land to generate a couple of bucks in the summer. I WORKED for an athletic department, and I think I was in the locker room twice. Why? Because players and coaching staff are the only ones allowed in the locker room.

First, I don't believe that a coach of an AQ program would be dumb enough to do something like this at work. Second, I don't believe you can randomly grab a kid from basketball camp and take them back to the locker room for a shower, and third, I don't believe anyone would consciously cover up a credible allegation like this and risk the kind of mayhem that has ensued for a coach that has displayed very questionable judgement.

okay, i guess you just need to read this: http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2011/1107/espn_e_Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf

and there are kids and adults (who were victimized as kids) coming outta the woodwork each day as word gets out....

There is a local sports announcer and "voice of The Ravens" named Gerry Sandusky. Pronounced the same way as Jerry Sandusky. Even though local news has repeated clarified that the Jerry Sandusky who is accused of child molestation at Penn State is not the same as our Gerry Sandusky (and there is no relation), some people still don't realize they aren't the same person. #-o

Wow. I have to admit that when I first heard the facts of the case, I flat out didn't believe it. It sounded more like the back of a bad novel written by a crappy author than an actual chain of events. I have watched this story develop over the past 12 hours, and it's apparent that there is truth to these allegations. I must apologize if I sounded insensitive, and my heart goes out to the innocent victims in this case. But in my defense, really? I mean.....really? Penn State? One of the most elite NCAA football programs in the country.......really?

Archived