Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Strat versus Gibson les Paul

swampash

I often wonder how the Strat and the Les Paul both got to a point where they were compared to each other or were considered rivals. Let's just take the normal configuration only in terms of one having single coils only and the other humbuckers.

One is a thinner sounding Guitar and the other is a warmer thicker sounding Guitar. The Gibson is a solid body archtop, the Fender is not. They are both so different in so many ways.

Is it because they both came out within a couple of years of each other and were among the first of the truly accepted solid bodies? Why isn't the Tele a rival for the Les Paul and not the Strat as it was the Tele that made Gibson step up production of their first solid body Guitar in 1952, two years before the Strat. Having a fatter sound, should the Tele not be in comptetition with the Gibson?

This theory of competition between the Strat and the Les Paul has always confounded me.

Maybe the biggest reason is the famous Guitarists down the years who switched from one to the other. Clapton, Townsend and Beck moved from Gibsons to Fenders Strats while Jimmy Page moved to Gibsons after playing Teles and even Strats.

These are just my personal thoughts on this and this could prove to be a devisive subject for some. I'm hoping for some calm and measured responses.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there is a competition. It is in the minds of people (usually) trying to sell something.

I have owned and gigged a strat and a les paul, at the same time, for most of my life. And a tele. And bunches of others.

"competition" between the two is best left to those that don't really know all that much about guitars and how to use them.

rct

Yea, it's a tough one to compare the two guitars. Both have their places in the history of rock and roll. A non guitar playing friend of mine asked me this same question the other day at a show. I told him something like this: "Think of writing a song like painting a sonic picture, and the guitars are the paint to make the picture. They're two different types of paint, but both can make a pretty cool picture in the hands of the artist." Now that I read it, that was a really cheesy thing to say. Man, I'm a dork.

Single coils v. humbuckers. A better question might be why would there be so much division between Strat and Tele users. I own a Strat, but not a Tele. I like the Tele tone better, but have no desire to own one. Image I imagine.

Yea, it's a tough one to compare the two guitars. Both have their places in the history of rock and roll. A non guitar playing friend of mine asked me this same question the other day at a show. I told him something like this: "Think of writing a song like painting a sonic picture, and the guitars are the paint to make the picture. They're two different types of paint, but both can make a pretty cool picture in the hands of the artist." Now that I read it, that was a really cheesy thing to say. Man, I'm a dork.

[/quote

+1 Different guitars to create different tones

They are only compared because they are the two most popular body styles. The Stratocaster is a far better seller than the Tele, even though it may be a more comparable body style to the single cut away LP. Less experienced players often compare the two, but will eventually learn that there is no comparing.

Jimmy Page used a Telecaster, when you "thought" it was a Les Paul!

(Led Zeppelin 1, and most of LZ 2) So, in some ways, that IS

a more valid comparison, than LP to Strat, all things being equal.

But, I love them all, plus other's, for just what they do best.

Plus, using the right amp and/or amp settings (EQ), for the sound you want (to me) is the more critical factor.

CB

My thought - Yet another topic on this subject, comparing apples to oranges. . B)

[flapper]

I am afraid I gave you a minus one for using the term "apples and oranges" ...

How I hate that over used and completely inaccurate saying!

Apples and oranges are both fruits, both have vitamin c, both are approximately the same size, both have skins etc. i.e they are alike! The same man who invented "apples and oranges" also said he "could care less" when I mentioned this - and later that day observed an irony, just because it rained after the weather forecast was on tv !

Please join me in the revolution by replacing this with '"they are like apples and dinosaurs" to express the diversity of two things!

Matt

McDonald's fries vs. Wendy's fries, Coke vs. Pepsi, Wolverine vs. Batman...

People like to compare things. It's just part of human nature.

.. and yea, Wolverine would tear Batman a new one.

Wendy's new fries

Pepsi

The third one answers itself.

Guest farnsbarns

[flapper]

Apples and oranges are both fruits, both have vitamin c, both are approximately the same size, both have skins etc. i.e they are alike! The same man who invented "apples and oranges" also said he "could care less" when I mentioned this - and later that day observed an irony, just because it rained after the weather forecast was on tv !

Please join me in the revolution by replacing this with '"they are like apples and dinosaurs" to express the diversity of two things!

Matt

I seem to remember you saying this about a year ago. (sorry, I have an irritatingly good memory). I think open debate on this matter is important...

I believe the expression should be used when comparing things like two very different guitars as they are essentially the same thing (Body, neck, 6 strings, frets, tuners, nut, bridge, pickups, knobs and a switch) but still not quite comparable .

If we say apples and dinosaurs what expression will we use when a comparison between to completely different things like, well, um, like apples and dinosaurs is made.

(psst... I'm getting the hang of this forum lark, I think you're supposed to insult me now, then I'll insult your entire demographic with some outrageous generalization and then we can both bring the row up again in any thread we see fit for months to come)

[smile]

Every guitar player should own AT LEAST one of each!

I disagree, heartily. I would never offend my ears, my bandmates' ears, or those of my listening audience ever again by playing a Strat. Would you serve a pasture raised rack of lamb cooked to medium rare perfection with a glass of vinegar?

So, yeah, not sure how can compare a strat to a Les Paul.

My view (opinion) on the comparison of Fender to Gibson relates to the "Tone" we as "players" "musicians" "hacks" etc. try to achive at any given moment.

As an example ... when I hear a song being played and I hear the guitarist play and it is something I want to emulate, I want to know "How did he do That? On What? With What etc. So the first comparison is in my own mind. I formulate an opinion as to could I do that on my LP or my Tele. Various comments from the "Lounge" I think indicate great artists playing on various brands achieve that "tone" we so admire. Ergo the reason (I think) for Artist inspired replicas of their Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, ect. We BUY them and then argue, compare, etc. as to which is superior to the other. We are not unlike any other enthusiasts for a "Product" i.e. Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet, Audi. BMW etc.

Perhaps another point of view would come from the Collectors or those involved in buying and selling Guitars "Vintage" or "Otherwise" They no doubt have and drive a different point of view perhaps because of viewing the as a piece of art, memorbilia, investment, or just "braggin rights". The debate will go on even within the brands themselves as to which model is best. It is enjoyable to listen and learn from others opinions and passion.

Comparing original-2688-1831-old-speckled-hen.jpg to budweiser.jpg

rct

I will have the Hen please. ps.. have you tried "Old Crafty Hen" or "Hen's Tooth" ...Tooth is especially delicious - a bit stronger and bottle conditioned (i.e. active yeast in the bottle). Buy it if you see it..

[flapper]

Matt

Not to state the obvious, but you've completely over looked something - read up on wikipedia on what a citrus fruit is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus#List_of_citrus_fruits

Beyond that, "comparing apples and oranges" is a well accepted idiom. In case this is way over your head, read up on it here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_and_oranges

And I quote: "The idiom, comparing apples and oranges, refers to the apparent differences between items which are popularly thought to be incomparable or incommensurable, such as apples and oranges." [flapper]

We can all depend Wikipedia - the great arbiter of knowledge. . B)

I will have the Hen please. ps.. have you tried "Old Crafty Hen" or "Hen's Tooth" ...Tooth is especially delicious - a bit stronger and bottle conditioned (i.e. active yeast in the bottle). Buy it if you see it..

I'll look for them! Hen's Tooth sounds familiar. Big store, singles from all over the world, right between a Sam Ash and Guitar Center. The Speckled was outstanding. I also picked up a Scottish, but can't remember which. Always on the lookout for Tenants XX which I had in my youth but doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Also currently enjoying from the last stop:

hendricks-gin.jpg.crop_display.jpg

rct

Archived