Gibson Brands Forums

Bands you don't like but everyone likes...

Thundergod

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have to say... The Rolling Stones.

To be fair, I have recently discovered a few songs by the stones that I like. It still doesn't change my mind.

I forgot to mention Queen.

I was going to post those as a "my friend says he doesn't care about _____" post, as one of my best friends doesn't care about them and they are 2 of my favorite bands, he listens to them when he visits me and he always says he doesn't get it. Those are the only 2 bands we don't agree on.

Ok so I don't care about most "classic" bands that one as a guitarist is supposed to care about.

My list:

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Pink Floyd

The Who

Jimmy Hendrix

Anyway, are there any famous bands you "should" care about but don't?

is jimi hendrix a band? :unsure:, anyways the 5 you mention are the 5 i was gonna say, great minds think alike eh? :)

John Mayer

Red Hot Chili Peppers (especially with their latest album)

Bon Jovi

SRV

Gary Moore (the fanboyism that gets displayed here mainly influenced my dislike, I can only take so many threads about him before it turns me away)

Cheap Trick

Nickelback

80's hair bands (Poison, Winger, etc. *vomit*)

GNR

Blur

Creed

The Offspring

Live

Off the top of my head, not to say I dislike the bands entirely. Some have good musicians and all but their catalog of work is not to my taste.

Led Zepplin, but only half.

I still stand by my statement that plant and page were no talent hacks backed by an amazing rhythm section.

Pretty much anything played in mainstream rotation since 1992.

The grateful dread.... oof.. freakin' hippies.

I am sure there are more, but that's top of the list for me.

Basically any band post 1990 (with a select few that I actually like: The Foo Fighters, Disturbed, The Black Keys, The Sheepdogs, Graveyard)

Same thing with the 80's. Can't stand most hair bands. But there are a few that I like.

Famous classic rock bands that I can't stand:

The Rolling Stones

The Doors

Well personal taste is just that. There are tons of bands that don't move me but I can appreciate there place in music history or there popularity.

For instance I am and have been, since a wee lad of four, a huge Beatles fan. No surprise right but aside from a handful of songs the Stones did nothing for me.

Couldn't stand Mick's singing, hated the guitar tone on Satisfaction and never bought an album of theirs but I understood their popularity and respected that they worked their collective arses off to become successful. Most of all I love Richards gift for writing great rhythm hooks that could weave in and out of the song.

Recently gained whole lot more repect for them after reading Keef's autobio.

Except for some music that's just too full of hate or attempts to represent something demonic I don't dislike any band but that's just me.

It's like hearing a song on the radio constantly for 6 months, eventually you get sick of it. Ya dig?

Not for all. I've listened to Hendrix for years and never get sick listening to his playing and his music. Listening to today's shredders is a diffferent story for me. I could only listen to that for 5 minutes TOPS, then it gets old.

Basically any band post 1990 (with a select few that I actually like: The Foo Fighters, Disturbed, The Black Keys, The Sheepdogs, Graveyard)

Same thing with the 80's. Can't stand most hair bands. But there are a few that I like.

I may be misinterpreting your post, but there was much more to the 80s than hair bands. Besides, being the dad-rocker that you are, I'd think that you would love Van Halen!

Except for some music that's just too full of hate or attempts to represent something demonic I don't dislike any band but that's just me.

Oh, you're one of those guys. [rolleyes] Just out of curiosity, what is it about hateful or demonic sentiments that turns you off from certain styles of music? As someone who seeks out music that is hateful, demonic or misanthropic, I see it as an interesting point of view that contrasts with the vast majority of popular music, and although I'm not exactly a hateful person, and I don't worship demons (although I do worship dem00n,) I find that these themes generally tend to do more for me emotionally and intellectually than more accessible or "wholesome" themes.

Archived