Gibson Brands Forums

Bands you don't like but everyone likes...

Thundergod

Why does everyone say Nickelback? No one likes them. Everyone says they are big, but no one has ever actually met a Nicelback fan.

My band I don't like but everyone does:

RUSH

Now that you mention it that does seem to be the case. It's seems to be mostly women.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that you mention it that does seem to be the case. It's seems to be mostly women.

My old drivers ed teacher likes nickleback and he listns to a lot of the classics, Led Zep, Beatles, Rush, Stones. Funny eh? A lot of new yorkers like them...its weird.

Oh, you're one of those guys. [rolleyes] Just out of curiosity, what is it about hateful or demonic sentiments that turns you off from certain styles of music? As someone who seeks out music that is hateful, demonic or misanthropic, I see it as an interesting point of view that contrasts with the vast majority of popular music, and although I'm not exactly a hateful person, and I don't worship demons (although I do worship dem00n,) I find that these themes generally tend to do more for me emotionally and intellectually than more accessible or "wholesome" themes.

Sorry pup, I won't be baited into that game on here. You wanna hear my point of view we can exchange emails off the forum.

Maybe you'd like to explain the "you're one of those guys." remark.

Not for all. I've listened to Hendrix for years and never get sick listening to his playing and his music. Listening to today's shredders is a diffferent story for me. I could only listen to that for 5 minutes TOPS, then it gets old.

Trust me it was only to make a point, I have bands I listen to constantly from years ago - much like you with Hendrix.

I may be misinterpreting your post, but there was much more to the 80s than hair bands. Besides, being the dad-rocker that you are, I'd think that you would love Van Halen!

Van Halen started in the 70's therefore I consider them to be a 70's band. And yes, I do enjoy Van Halen very much so.

Sorry pup, I won't be baited into that game on here. You wanna hear my point of view we can exchange emails off the forum.

Maybe you'd like to explain the "you're one of those guys." remark.

No game. I was just curious because nobody who's ever said that to me has given me a straight answer. By "one of those guys," I mean exactly that--one of those guys who doesn't like themes that appear "hateful" or "demonic" in their music. But if we take the music as art and nothing else, then what exactly is so wrong about those themes? I consider songs about them to be just as interesting, if not more interesting, than songs about love, life, and so on, and if it's strictly a matter of taste, then I can understand it perfectly. It was just out of curiosity, as to why those themes in particular seem to repulse so many, whereas songs written about sex, drugs, alcohol, and excess (and let's not lie--a massive volume of music written since the 1960s and well into today involves those themes rather explicitly) seem completely acceptable? I'm not trying to inspire any anger in you or to insult your personal beliefs, I'm just asking a simple question of aesthetics. If this isn't the proper place to discuss it then we can take it elsewhere.

Well at least everyone on a guitar forum: Any band that has a guitarist as the lead attraction - apologies to anyone offended - I'd rather hear John Lennon or Keith Richards and sing along until my voice is hoarse than to hear the shredders out there (Malmsteen, Johnson, DiMeola,Vai......etc.) -except SRV and Jimi, Love them God rest.

Strange post and even stranger answers, I don't have a issue with people saying they don't like (name any band) it's your opinion so you decide what you want to listen too. Although for those that said they don't like the Allman Brothers? Hopefully your taking about after Duane died because if you don't like Duane Allman playing guitar than your in the wrong forum and your playing the wrong instrument. Same goes for those than slam SRV or Hendrix. You have that right but it instant;y proves that your not a rock guitarist.

Same goes for Queen and/or Jerry Garcia , Joe Cocker while it's true there music is very stylized and if you said you didn't like it I really hope your under 30 because you missed rock and roll. Maybe you had to be there to understand it but queen was part of rock in a way that can't really be denied.

Strange post and even stranger answers, I don't have a issue with people saying they don't like (name any band) it's your opinion so you decide what you want to listen too. Although for those that said they don't like the Allman Brothers? Hopefully your taking about after Duane died because if you don't like Duane Allman playing guitar than your in the wrong forum and your playing the wrong instrument. Same goes for those than slam SRV or Hendrix. You have that right but it instant;y proves that your not a rock guitarist.

Same goes for Queen and/or Jerry Garcia , Joe Cocker while it's true there music is very stylized and if you said you didn't like it I really hope your under 30 because you missed rock and roll. Maybe you had to be there to understand it but queen was part of rock in a way that can't really be denied.

How very awesome..............This saves me from posting on this thread......................[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .............

Couldn't agree more! [thumbup] [thumbup]

No game. I was just curious because nobody who's ever said that to me has given me a straight answer. By "one of those guys," I mean exactly that--one of those guys who doesn't like themes that appear "hateful" or "demonic" in their music. But if we take the music as art and nothing else, then what exactly is so wrong about those themes? I consider songs about them to be just as interesting, if not more interesting, than songs about love, life, and so on, and if it's strictly a matter of taste, then I can understand it perfectly. It was just out of curiosity, as to why those themes in particular seem to repulse so many, whereas songs written about sex, drugs, alcohol, and excess (and let's not lie--a massive volume of music written since the 1960s and well into today involves those themes rather explicitly) seem completely acceptable? I'm not trying to inspire any anger in you or to insult your personal beliefs, I'm just asking a simple question of aesthetics. If this isn't the proper place to discuss it then we can take it elsewhere.

Hahaha, well clearly it's a matter of the soul.

I'm neither angered that you asked or insulted. You and I both been on here long enough to know where this discussion will end up.

If you feel the need to take a stand because of my comment so be it.

My initial post was not directed at you and yes it's a matter of taste but then isn't all "art"

Retro..I disagree 100%. There is a big difference between understanding and appreciating TALENT and wanting to sit down and listen to the music.

I recognize the talent in all of those players you mentioned, but would never put on an Allman Brothers or an SRV album...i get no satisfaction from it, that's all there is to it.

But to say if you don't like that stuff, you're not a rock guitarist is absurd. If you play the guitar and you play what is considered to be rock music, it doesn't matter what you choose to listen to.

Even 80's hair metal; which is my least favourite genre of music, I doubt I could find a band that there wasn't at least something positive about their music - there is always something good to take from an experience - If it's not to your taste, you may just have to look a little harder! :)

There are a few artists that leave me cold - I.e Paul Gilbert, but so many other people love his music and by all accounts it leaves them feeling warm and inspired! so I

recognise it just isn't to my taste.

Matt

I really don't understand your reasoning. Because someone doesn't like any other band you've mention doesn't keep the person off the rock guitarist list. It's kind of like saying "if you do not like pork chops it instantly proves you're vegetarian. That statement only makes sense if your intention was to stir the pot a bit. [tongue]

FYI, I find everybody you mentioned very talented and I wish I had 1/4 their skill.

There aren't bands that I don't like, there are only bands that I can't seem to get into because of their style.

Sometimes it's just timing, if I had discovered Rory Gallagher in the 80's I would not have cared. I found his music at the right time and place.

The thing with music is like everything else: timing is everything.

My old drivers ed teacher likes nickleback and he listns to a lot of the classics, Led Zep, Beatles, Rush, Stones. Funny eh? A lot of new yorkers like them...its weird.

I'll never get it. They sound like Three Door Down with a Kurt Cobain impersonator singing. But their songs have strong grooves, catchy lyrics you can sing along with, and subject matter that most people can relate to. Like beating a guy up for hitting on your girlfriend, everyone feels like a biker when they hear "Next Contestant".

I just can't get past Kroeger's voice, or Cobaine's for that matter. It's that "I have no voice but sing anyway" sound that gets me.

Nickelback, Three Doors Down, Linkin Park, Nirvana, Pearl Jam ( unless its Ten ), Soundgarden, Slade, Radiohead, John Mayer, Wilco, Poison, Def Leppard ( unless its pre Hysteria ), Kenny Wayne Shepherd ( I like his first album, but Noah Hunt ruined it for me plus KWS is really an SRV clone. Although his new album is pretty good. Startin' to move away from SRV ), Styx ( they have a couple of good tunes but they annoy me ), Journey, Foreigner, Michael Jackson, Creed, Alter Bridge ( Mark Tremonti's solos don't do anything for me. But I love Myles's voice and his bluesy guitar skills ), among others. Any band that plays a PRS Singlecut into a Rectifier and that wears their pants as low as Cheech's car probably sucks.

Thanks for reminding me that I REALLY dislike SRV.

Sorry. I know I'm supposed to worship him but he just does nothing for me. For that matter, the "three kings" of blues (Freddie, Albert and B.B.) likewise do nothing for me. When I want blues I listen to John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James, etc. Anything raw. I also like when blues is more than just a showcase for a guitarist's ability to play rehashed pentatonic licks. I love hearing pianos and horns in blues. I also love the creative playing of guys like Hubert Sumlin, and the raw, driving energy of John Lee Hooker's rhythm style.

Archived