Gibson Brands Forums

Whitesnake

FirstMeasure

I got about a minute and a half in before I had to turn it off. When you mix that style of music with current OVER COMPRESSED mastering, my ears start to feel like a punching bag.

Guess if eighties hair metal comes back they'll be sitting on a fresh harvest.

Good to see them guys again. I watched a couple years old show of theirs on the cable couple weeks ago. The guy can still do it, and I think he never got his props.

rct

It's a great lineup, too. Reb Beach and Doug Aldrich make a pretty good team on the strings.

Sounding good as always. I wish they would bring back that rough edge they had on "Slide It In" but this ain't bad at all.

Oh... and not for nuthin but would claiming you can accurately judge the compression of a recording based on the sound quality of a YouTube video count as cork sniffing? [biggrin]

Did nothing for me at first, the music and lyrics seemed very cliche... I let it play through though and towards the end it started to cook... Good pumping tune but I heard lines in it from at least 4 different songs... Who ever writes the lyrics needs to be a little more original...

I love WS and that sounds awesome. Ive gotta listen to the whole album

[thumbup]

Sounding good as always. I wish they would bring back that rough edge they had on "Slide It In" but this ain't bad at all.

Oh... and not for nuthin but would claiming you can accurately judge the compression of a recording based on the sound quality of a YouTube video count as cork sniffing? [biggrin]

I think it could slide right into that category. [flapper]

Did nothing for me at first, the music and lyrics seemed very cliche... I let it play through though and towards the end it started to cook... Good pumping tune but I heard lines in it from at least 4 different songs... Who ever writes the lyrics needs to be a little more original...

That's kind of Dave's style to write about love and sex, and it is the single, so Cliche's will abound. I'd like to hear the non singles from the album.

Flame all you want, but my ears can feel when something SOUNDS LIKE THIS even if it takes a fidelity hit due to the sample rate. If ear fatigue is your thing, more power to you.

Pretty good tune actually they sounded like they did back in the Vandenberg day.To bad the video went by and there was no Tawney Kitten rolling around on a Jag hood.what I do miss with the Snake is the guitar playing of John Sykes,totally under rated as an axe God and one of my top three favorites.Didnt he do a lot of the writing, all the guitar playing/recordings on the album that made them big and get noticed,the one with "Still of the night" on it,then he left and Whitesnake did the video with Adrian Vandenberg and Vivian Campbell.

youtube isn't much worse than standard mp3 compression. how do most people listen to their music? so I say yes, you can tell.

If by cork sniffing, you mean being correct, then yes, it counts as cork sniffing

i love the fact that no matter what decade they release songs they always sound the "whitesnake" way...i went to their "farewell" gig back in the 90's [unsure]

great band! [thumbup]

Whitesnake and AC/DC know a good thing when they hear it. No use pretending your Prince when you're a Rock and Roll Juggernaut.

I find it interesting that a band that's never quit had a farewell tour. Maybe it was just a farewell to his big hair.

Whitesnake and AC/DC know a good thing when they hear it. No use pretending your Prince when you're a Rock and Roll Juggernaut.

I find it interesting that a band that's never quit had a farewell tour. Maybe it was just a farewell to his big hair.

na, cause he kept his hair :)...serious, they did a farewell gig and my cousin and me went to se it.

bought a CD last month "naked in tokyo" acoustic set with just coverdale and vandenburg performing...fantastic [thumbup]

Yes, prince is an amazing guitarist and performer and songwriter. But he's the type of artist that reinvents himself every couple albums, that's what I was referring to. Not a dig against Prince, just a comment on the different approaches to music. Like Queensryche and Dio both took a more Prince-like approach in the 90's.

na, cause he kept his hair :)...serious, they did a farewell gig and my cousin and me went to se it.

bought a CD last month "naked in tokyo" acoustic set with just coverdale and vandenburg performing...fantastic [thumbup]

I've heard some of that CD, it's awesome. I love it when loud rockers get acoustic and do it well.

If I remember correctly just before Purple Rain there was comparisons between him and Hendrix. Athough being fair I have heard that about every 5 years when a new guitar player is on the scene or just taken serious. IMO there will never be another Hendrix, Page or even EVH but thats just me.

i agree jocko, on a side note...ever wondered why we don't hear of prince in between his record releases?...he's playing his guitar socks off! [thumbup]

Archived