Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilts

brannon67

I don't own any but would love either of yours! which do you prefer? I have never owned a Rosewood guitar - always went for teh usual Spruce and Hog...is the sound a bit "darker"?

My local shop is knocking them out for £300 so I really should get one at that price for an all-solid!

How Many Masterbilts do you guys own, and what models? Mine AJ500R and AJ500M both with LR Baggs Elements in them. These two are my main gigging/coffee house guitars.

I have the DR-500MCE in natural finish. I had a local luthier work on it. He installed a compensated bridge and new Tusc bridge pins in addition to polishing the frets and doing a neck adjustment. I just last week put a new set of Martin SP light gauge strings on it and the sound as well as the playability has improved dramatically. I'm so pleased with these strings I'll probably always use them.

Here it is in action. I multi-tracked it to simulate a twelve string.

Walk Right In

I have a DR-500P--maple back, sides and neck. It's the only one I've seen at our local Gibson dealer, or anywhere else for that matter. It's loud, bright, beautiful and has satisfied my J200 craving...for now.

Used to have a sunburst EF-500R but sold it to finance my J-45. No regrets. Nice guitar but the neck was huge.

Tom

Was considering the DR-500P.Almost pulled the trigger a couple of times. Now it might be too late. Anywhoo,im happy with EJ-200. I would like to hear one first hand though.

Got to play the DR500P a few times. Was impressed with how rich the sound was for a maple-bodied guitar, along with it being as bright as you'd expect. Your EJ200 should consider itself lucky!

• 6 months later...

Will there be any difference in sound from a AJ-500RVS (unplugged) and a AJ500R ? I have my eye on one but I don't care about ever plugging it in...just wondered what the difference might be if any.

Thanks for your time.

Will there be any difference in sound from a AJ-500RVS (unplugged) and a AJ500R ? I have my eye on one but I don't care about ever plugging it in...just wondered what the difference might be if any.

Thanks for your time.

Rayban, no I don't think you'll find any noticeable difference in sound, they are both the same guitar, just differing colors. I play my AJ-500R a lot unplugged. You will be delighted with what you hear if you decide to get it. Good luck! Go for it. Masterbilts are now out of production, and may never come back. In which case you will be getting the best deal and price in a solid wood guitar, that can be had, probably on any guitar in the world. People have scrambled for the Rosewood model and they are mostly gone. The AJ-500M (mahogany) is out of production also but still available at MF and GC. It is every bit as good as the R model, with utterly delicious wood tone, a I love both of mine. Problem is they are both so good I don't know which one to play first!

I had a 500P ($300 off of e-bay, best guitar purchase with the Masterbilt Case) that I loved. Best sounding and playing guitar that I have ever owned.

I would still have it, but the top started to form a crease from the bridge to the lower bout.

Fearing a crack coming, I traded it on a Breedlove. (GC gave me $325. Surprising!)

Not the same sound but a great guitar. (three times as much though)

I keep looking for another 500P, but so far I have only been able to find refurbished (which I would not mind, but $500 for a refurbished model is a little much) or first runs with damage.

My search will go on.

I will find one again one day.

Archived