Gibson Brands Forums

Can I get your opinion on a Telecaster?

Twiz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably going for the 72, but I'm going to take Charlie Brown's advice too and try out a traditional Tele before I decide. An American Standard Telecaster is the same price as a 72, so that's cool. I admit, I'm nervous with single coils, but a friend of mine pointed out that Jimmy Page played a Telecaster on Dazed and Confused. -That's a really heavy sound, so I'm going to give it a shot. [thumbup]

rocked both for a bit, the ri stayed around. the black top, i dont know. something wasnt right about it, and i agree its strange having hbs in a tele, but it adds a little flavour you wouldnt expect.

also. teles have really high out put scs in them. you can get some really heavy tones and some nice distortion from them with out them screaming in your face. use the tone knob on the tele and you can dial the sc plink out and it starts to growl like crazy. all sorts of nasty.

I'm old school I guess but I hate the knobs on both models. Are you going for...mojo...?

Ahhh.....cookie! There's a rather famous precedent for 'witch-hat' knobs on a standard-looking Tele if it's mojo we're after;

McKinley Morganfield Mojo......

muddywaters.jpg

[smile]

P.

I voted Blacktop mainly because I have one. The set up out of the box was fine, no problems and I've had it now for nearly a year and a half. I haven't tried the 72, so maybe I'm underselling it, but I loved the BT. It was my first crossover guitar to electric from acoustic.

Possibly the most uncomfortable guitar in the world, for me anyway.

Next to a strat, yes. The Tele looks killer, but once you strap it on it's like playing a box. There is no arm relief carved in the top.

Tele Deluxe all the way. I have played more than a few originals and they are a sweet guitar. Les Paul heavy.

But if you get a reissue, you should look into getting the Wide Range humbuckers restored to their original specs. There's a cat Curtis Novak that restores reissue WR humbuckers to original specs. Did it for Lee Ranaldo and if it's good enough for him...

Just to 'muddy the waters' a little further...

Squier are currently offering a 'beginners' guitar

Which is a Tele with neck H/B and bridge S/C

For approx 100 of the English £'s

IMO that is incredible...how lucky would a beginner be to start with that guitar?....

V

:-({|=

PS...I played it and it is really good [thumbup]

Deffo the 72 deluxe, i have not played one but heard that keef richards used one on Honky Tonk Woman, which is my favourite song from the stones, im GASsing for a tele but cant find any originals that are low cost, Anyway, thats just my opinion

ROCK ON MAN!

Have you considered a 51 Fender pawn shop..kind of a Strat, tele cross. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pawn51Bld/

Or the other pawn shop series. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pawn723TS/

Even the mustang is cool. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PawnMustLPB/

I'm not a tele fan except like you I dig the body and the neck but I have to have humbuckers.I'm close to buying the 51 pawn shop.

Just to 'muddy the waters' a little further...

Squier are currently offering a 'beginners' guitar

Which is a Tele with neck H/B and bridge S/C

For approx 100 of the English £'s

IMO that is incredible...how lucky would a beginner be to start with that guitar?....

V

:-({|=

PS...I played it and it is really good [thumbup]

LOL!

VG, V.

So you're saying It's Got What it Takes to Get Your Mojo Working?

[smile]

P.

Actually, I just found the one I want on eBay. Check it out. [scared][crying][scared][blink]

I didn't even know THAT guitar existed!

Fender lore had to my knowledge suggested that Harrison was the first to get one, or that it had been made for him. OR, the more likely thought that a few were made and passed out among the "famous". But I didn't know that the KING was among them.

To be honest, even though the letters seem authentic to me, I wonder how true it is that this guitar was MADE for ELVIS specifically. And, the big question would be if he actually played it, liked it, etc.

But, just the fact it was sent to him and played by those who knew him is something right there. As for the other questions it raises as to how much EVLIS had to do with this guitar seems to me to be questions worth finding the answers for. I would be wanting to find the whole story before it is lost permanently.

Fender lore had to my knowledge suggested that Harrison was the first to get one, or that it had been made for him. OR, the more likely thought that a few were made and passed out among the "famous". But I didn't know that the KING was among them.

To be honest, even though the letters seem authentic to me, I wonder how true it is that this guitar was MADE for ELVIS specifically. And, the big question would be if he actually played it, liked it, etc.

But, just the fact it was sent to him and played by those who knew him is something right there. As for the other questions it raises as to how much EVLIS had to do with this guitar seems to me to be questions worth finding the answers for. I would be wanting to find the whole story before it is lost permanently.

It's really cool. I'm an Elvis fan, so I was pretty fascinated reading about it. I don't really recall seeing any photos of him playing a Tele...

I've never ever heard that story and I have tons of info on Harrison's but never a mention of Elvis getting the first.

Fender actually made 2 prototypes, the telecaster for George and a rosewood Strat for Hendrix. Harrison's tele was a priority for the Let it Be film that was about to start so it was finished first. The finished guitar was then flown to London in it's own seat by courier and hand delivered to Apple.

Hendrix never did receive his strat as he died before the guitar could be delivered in August of 1970.

The story is told by fender reps in Andy Babiuk's excellent book "Beatles Gear"

0266200300-9e66bd249b010827e44498a04d086590.jpg

or you can test one of these

Please tell me that this is a computer-generated image because otherwise that is, without a doubt, the most horrendous guitar I've ever seen in my life.

It's difficult to believe a guitar so unbelievably hideous as this was given the 'green light' to be marketed. It's a bastard-child of at least 7 instruments. I pity anyone who finds this even slightly appealing.

IMHO, of course.

[smile]

P.

Archived