Gibson Brands Forums

Can I get your opinion on a Telecaster?

Twiz

I'm probably going for the 72, but I'm going to take Charlie Brown's advice too and try out a traditional Tele before I decide. An American Standard Telecaster is the same price as a 72, so that's cool. I admit, I'm nervous with single coils, but a friend of mine pointed out that Jimmy Page played a Telecaster on Dazed and Confused. -That's a really heavy sound, so I'm going to give it a shot. [thumbup]

I have an American Standard Tele and it brings the heavy with ease.. I don't think it's less suited for heavy toanz than anything else really.. I know you've got that green Muff and a Rat and that Peavy amp and everything. Trust me dude those single could will get as heavy as you want with your rig.

I'd recommend going for the regular standard Tele first, because you'll get some real nice new sounds to play with, but of the two you listed I'd def go for the 72.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's difficult to believe a guitar so unbelievably hideous as this is allowed to be on the market. It's a bastard-child of at least 7 instruments. I pity anyone who finds this even slightly appealing.

IMHO, of course.

[smile]

Pity me enough to buy me one?

That thing has SOUL! To me it has most of the features borrowed from other guitars I find SOULFUL!

I mean, that should buy me a LOT of pity! They can't cost too terribly much can they?

Please tell me that this is a computer-generated image because otherwise that is, without a doubt, the most horrendous guitar I've ever seen in my life.

It's difficult to believe a guitar so unbelievably hideous as this was given the 'green light' to be marketed. It's a bastard-child of at least 7 instruments. I pity anyone who finds this even slightly appealing.

IMHO, of course.

[smile]

P.

Haha I couldn't have said it better myself. That thing is DISGUSTING.

Pity me enough to buy me one?

I'd never do anything which would knowingly harm another sentient being...lol!

The thing is; it almost works. It's just the appalling mish-mash of the 'wrong' set of details from too many guitars which let it down so badly IMO. I know that's partly the idea - a guitar made up of spare parts - but it ends up looking like the proverbial 'Horse designed by a Commitee'. A joke soon becomes merely tiresome.

I don't know if there is a CGI builder program for that one - I can only find a 'regular' Strat builder on the Fender site - but the standard '51 Pawn Shop Strat is actually very nice.

This is the standard offering in butterscotch and I like it very much indeed. I'd like to try out a few small detail tweaks which might make it more to my liking but even although there's almost the same hardware here as on the earlier instrument this one is (again, IMHO) at least cohesive in its appearance.

51PawnShopStrat.jpg

P.

Anyhow, back on topic...

I'm probably going for the 72, but I'm going to take Charlie Brown's advice too and try out a traditional Tele before I decide. An American Standard Telecaster is the same price as a 72, so that's cool. I admit, I'm nervous with single coils, but a friend of mine pointed out that Jimmy Page played a Telecaster on Dazed and Confused. -That's a really heavy sound, so I'm going to give it a shot. [thumbup]

I think that's a very good idea. Page used his Tele for most of the first two albums (and still fairly often after that) and he didn't even get his iconic #1 LP until half-way through recording Led Zeppelin II.

I think I'm right in saying the Tele was the guitar used for the solo on 'Stairway...' so if it's good enough for Page....

[thumbup]

P.

It may be apposite at this juncture

To re-iterate the enjoyable U Tube video by Billy Gibbons' tech

Billy plays many different guitars ie

Esquire, Tele, LP, Gretsch Diddleys etc, Furrys various....

And by suitable amp and EQ tweaks

Are all made to sound the same on stage....

V

:-({|=

I have an American Standard Tele and it brings the heavy with ease.. I don't think it's less suited for heavy toanz than anything else really.. I know you've got that green Muff and a Rat and that Peavy amp and everything. Trust me dude those single could will get as heavy as you want with your rig.

I'd recommend going for the regular standard Tele first, because you'll get some real nice new sounds to play with, but of the two you listed I'd def go for the 72.

Anyhow, back on topic...

I think that's a very good idea. Page used his Tele for most of the first two albums (and still fairly often after that) and he didn't even get his iconic #1 LP until half-way through recording Led Zeppelin II.

I think I'm right in saying the Tele was the guitar used for the solo on 'Stairway...' so if it's good enough for Page....

[thumbup]

P.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try 3 next time I go to the music shop: The 72 Deluxe RI, a MIM Standard Tele, and a US Standard Tele. As long as I can get something with a nice neck in a sunburst I think I'll be happy. I'm getting my Classic 50 retubed, so I'll be playing it mostly through that I think.

Actually I was going to suggest this guitar as well but the Squier version if one can be found.

Oh it works Pippy, I have the Squier '51 version from 5-6 years ago and I have replaced the pickups and modded it to add a tone knob and a Gibson style pickup selector. Great guitar, I will never get rid of it.

The Squier version has this nice chunky profile neck at the cowboy frets, I like the profile so much that I had my R8's neck shaped to a similar profile.

The coil split works like a charm, comfortable body and I added a palm-muting friendly bridge. Great solid guitar.

I am about to paint it white and I am trimming off the upper horn of the pickguard.

DSCN1877.jpg

A brief scan of the posts and it appears some others were thinking like me... I believe you are missing the tone and uniqueness of a telecaster with that pickup configuration.

Regards,

Andy

If you don't have a telecaster why not stick with one that has single pickups instead of the humbuckies?

I like both of mine.

Each has it's own characteristics because of the types of pickups in them.

One has a hot pickup in the bridge while the '62 has the staggered pole pieces.

Snapshot2010-01-2515-33-31.jpg

Oh it works Pippy...

Yes; yours is very nice, Riffster, I agree comlpetely. But it's also very different from the one I said I disliked!

In my post with the butterscotch one I say I like that one, too, very much but mention I'd like to see what it would look like with a few tweaks. The chrome p-up cover on the neck p-up - as yours has - was actually the first thing I'd have tried myself!

It was the execution of the sunburst/f-hole/chrome pup/uncovered pup/etc thing I disliked. Not the '51 Pawn Shop Strat guitar per se.

Hope that clarifies matters!

P.

I appreciate all the input from everyone on my Telecaster quandary. A couple things... I admit, yes, I was/am nervous about going with single coils. I think that's mainly because (with the exception of my first guitar) everything I've played has been with humbuckers. I think I was definitely missing the point of getting a guitar that had a different color of sound altogether. Well, to paraphrase Hank Williams, I saw the light. Hopefully over the next few months I'll be posting a NGD thread with pics of a Telecaster.

If I may ask another question, MIM Tele's... they're an ok starting point right? I guess I'll just have to go play both.

There's a lot of falacy going around about MIM and MIC Fenders and about them being under par,nothing could be further from the truth.I have an '04 MIM Tele with 2 single coils and she has all the spank of an American made one and flawless paint,fit and finish.When put through through my Marshall JCM 800 2204 stack I can get the real razor sharp lead guitar tone that Townshend got in I Can See For Miles-not bad for $350.I can get some real raunchy roots rock tone and weeping blues tones when I put her through my old '69 Bassman with the '68 2-15 cab.

Don't believe all you hear about non-US made guitars.Even though some offshore factories were lax in their quality control back in the '90s and earlier, pressure from parent companies and those who contracted work to them, made sure that they cleaned up their acts immensely.I have several non US made Fenders,Squiers and Epiphones and the overall quality of each and every one of them is at the very least excellent.

If I may ask another question, MIM Tele's... they're an ok starting point right? I guess I'll just have to go play both.

Most of the ones I try have setup issue and other small things like lose pots and such but they're good enough that I can safely say I will never waste my money on an American made Fender again.

My latest Telecaster is a MIM "Classic" 60's. LOVE IT!! Fit, finish, playability and sound!

ALL my other Fender guitars, are "Made In USA!" The MIM is of equal quality, overall.[thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Most of the ones I try have setup issue and other small things like lose pots and such but they're good enough that I can safely say I will never waste my money on an American made Fender again.

There's a lot of falacy going around about MIM and MIC Fenders and about them being under par,nothing could be further from the truth.I have an '04 MIM Tele with 2 single coils and she has all the spank of an American made one and flawless paint,fit and finish.When put through through my Marshall JCM 800 2204 stack I can get the real razor sharp lead guitar tone that Townshend got in I Can See For Miles-not bad for $350.I can get some real raunchy roots rock tone and weeping blues tones when I put her through my old '69 Bassman with the '68 2-15 cab.

Don't believe all you hear about non-US made guitars.Even though some offshore factories were lax in their quality control back in the '90s and earlier, pressure from parent companies and those who contracted work to them, made sure that they cleaned up their acts immensely.I have several non US made Fenders,Squiers and Epiphones and the overall quality of each and every one of them is at the very least excellent.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to go try some out this weekend hopefully. [thumbup]

A word about MEXICAN vs AMERICAN:

There are different product lines for each, but in some cases, they are actually VERY close, using the same exact parts and tooling-just a matter of WHERE they are assembled.

I think the BIGGEST factor regarding Fender guitars lately is the hardware. I think it is wise to look at the bridges closely, because they are not always interchangable. In the case of the Tele, the AS bridge will not interchange with the vintage style bridge because of the strings going through the body being in different locations, and I say this because who knows about the cheaper bridges that are appearing on the cheaper Mexican ones.

Archived