Gibson Brands Forums

Can I get your opinion on a Telecaster?

Twiz

"And now for something completely different..." -At least for me anyway. I'm GASing for a Telecaster. I know I want something with humbuckers, so I've got it narrowed down to these two. I just wanted to see which one you guys liked better. Thanks.

Blacktop Telecaster

Blacktop_Tele.jpg

72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue

72_Deluxe.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blacktop w/ rosewood F/B and traditional headstock.

Thanks man. See, that's the thing I'm hung up on. I really like the 70's headstock on the Deluxe. Now, do I want to pay about $200 extra for that? Haha. That's my struggle at the moment. I played a Blacktop, I really dug it. #-o

Have you tried either of them?

Neither may fit your needs in actually playing them. I think the quality of the Mexican Fenders is fine, but I think the pups generally suck-it is something to think about and plan possibly.

Having said that, the Fender type humbuckers used on the Deluxe and Thinline are a very different sound than the typical Gibson type.

The Blacktop seems to me just way too generic and watered down to me-I don't see the humbuckers really sounding they're best in a Fender type guitar. I imagine that guitar would do everything just not quite as good as anything.

The Deluxe has a 70's vibe to it, but I would be more inclined to look for a Thinline second version.

Of the two you are considering I'd go for the '72 DeLuxe re-issue. The other just looks wrong in so many ways.

But IMHO humbuckers and Telecasters go together like Ice Cream and Tomato Ketchup.

But Hey! If we all loved the same things etc...

[smile]

P.

Both are great guitars! I think it will boil down to which one "YOU" like,

more. Have you tried, either one? Do you have a "regular" (single coil)

Telecaster, already? If not...I'd get one of those, first! Just to have

that "real" Telecaster tone option. But, that's just me. Both are nicely

constructed, and finished, and play well. Of the 2, the '72 has a bit more

control, over tone/volume, as it's set up, like a Gibson, that way. The

Black Top is more the standard Telecaster configuration, with regards to

tone/volume, and selector switch, although it's put in "backwards" from a

standard Tele, which has the selector switch, up front, and not behind the

volume and tone controls. But, any competent luthier/repair person, could

mod that, to 'normal" if you decided you didn't like the current (stock)

arrangement. So...I don't know. It will just depend on what YOU like, or

need, that way, I think.

CB

Of the two you are considering I'd go for the '72 DeLuxe re-issue. The other just looks wrong in so many ways.

I have an original 70's Deluxe and it's a really good guitar (quite heavy). I've never played one of the reissues though. The Seth Lover pickups are very good, but I don't know whether the pickups on the reissues are anything like them. I also don't know if the reissues have the same neck profile which is fatter than a modern telecaster (and I like it).

Have you thought about looking for a used 70's Deluxe? Probably still quite expensive though.

The other one does look all wrong to me though.

Another one to consider would be the teles with a minihumbucker in the neck position and a standard tele bridge pickup. I think they are called Hot Rod telecasters. A lot of people used to mod their teles by adding a humbucker in the neck position. Bernie Leadon used to play a nice tele like that with Eagles.

Wait a minute this coming from a person who lives in a country who put turkey on pizza? Lets not forget Ketchup flavored potato chips. lol

I wish it were so blameless, guitarest.......That's the English.

Although I live in London I'm Scottish. That means I come from a land whose chip-shops cook their pizzas in a deep-fat fryer and I'm being serious.

This is, of course, the same deep-fat fryer used to cook their battered Mars-Bars.

Would it surprise anyone reading the above to discover that the male inhabitants of Glasgow, the largest metropolis in the land, have the shortest life expectancy of anyone in western Europe?

[blush]

P.

If you really want something different the '72 is the way to go, the wide-range humbuckers sound different, the 25.5" scale and the maple board will give you a snappy sound. (and that killer headstock).

The Blacktop will pretty much give you only a different scale length compared to your Gibsons.

I just got back from the music shop. I'm thinking 72 Deluxe reissue. I played 2 Blacktops, and a 72 RI. Both the Blacktops didn't really do it for me. -The setup was terrible, and the pickups sounded ok, but kinda generic. I played all 3 through a Vox AC15. I like the tone I get from the 72's pickups more, and I like the selector switch position better. I think what sold me most is the 72's come in a sunburst, now I gotta wait for one of those to come in stock, and I'll decide between that or black. [thumbup]

Side note, I've been keeping an eye on eBay for a real 72 Deluxe. They're a little more than I want to spend. I'd love one of those though. Thanks for the input everybody!

Okay, here's my thinking...

If you've got an SG or rough equivalent, the traditional tele sounds to me to be the way to go. For sounds.

I don't care for Fender necks. Never have.

OTOH, the idea of a traditional Tele with the controls in traditional positions and a "tele" sound, keep having me wonder where one might find something with more of a Gibson type of neck but a Tele body and single coils - if that makes sense...

I'm probably not helping at all, though... Never used or heard Fender hb pups. I've used a tele in the past a time or two and liked the sound but not the "feel."

m

I own a '72 Deluxe Reissue and have played the blacktop. I don't know if it's just mine, but my '72 Reissue is like butter....one of my favorite guitars to play.....the blacktop I played had a bad setup, but even if that was fixed, it still felt like it lacked some build quality compared to the '72 Reissue. Also, I think the pickups on the '72 Reissue are better......the blacktop pickups were ok, but the '72 Reissue pickups had more sparkle, and much more clarity and versatility. Again, I don't own a blacktop, so I've spent MUCH more time with my '72 RI, so this is stictly my opinion!

Both are great guitars! I think it will boil down to which one "YOU" like,

more. Have you tried, either one? Do you have a "regular" (single coil)

Telecaster, already? If not...I'd get one of those, first! Just to have

that "real" Telecaster tone option. But, that's just me. Both are nicely

constructed, and finished, and play well. Of the 2, the '72 has a bit more

control, over tone/volume, as it's set up, like a Gibson, that way. The

Black Top is more the standard Telecaster configuration, with regards to

tone/volume, and selector switch, although it's put in "backwards" from a

standard Tele, which has the selector switch, up front, and not behind the

volume and tone controls. But, any competent luthier/repair person, could

mod that, to 'normal" if you decided you didn't like the current (stock)

arrangement. So...I don't know. It will just depend on what YOU like, or

need, that way, I think.

CB

I also would sure think about going with a "regular" single coil first. As Charlie says, "just to have the real 'Telecaster tone option". I was in your postion and went original. I've never been sorry and my sound inventory certainly profited from doing so. If your mind is set and you have tried all options, both the guitars you are showing are nice ones. It's what you prefer that matters. Good luck as to choice!

HG

I would definitely go for the 72 reissue as you have much better type of humbuckers and more tonal variation due to having separate tone and volume controls for each pickup.I almost bought a Squier 72 reissue a few months ago for less than $250 but since I'm saving for a Rickenbacker I had to pass on it.

Archived