Gibson Brands Forums

Letting others play your guitars

davidl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I often let others play my guitars in my presence. They always use more caution and care than I would and I am very careful. My guitars are all beat, so what would a pick scratch really amount to?

However, no belt buckles allowed! :)

Anyone who comes over, and is interested enough to ask, is welcome to play any instrument I have out.... which is pretty much all of them [biggrin] . If they don't know how, I am most happy to provide some basic instruction.

"No, no... your fingers go between the little metal thingies..."

I don't recall anyone ever just picking it up and playing one, but I'm sure if it happened I'd be ok with it as long as they were relatively careful.

I have traded guitars with someone before, but did not find the experience to be pleasant on the whole, and would not loan an instrument now to anyone I can think of.

I thought the answer was simple until I read all the posts....and I have to admit, it's a complicated question.

I would let others play my Dove and Jubilee, and any of my electrics. I'd presume they'd treat them like their own.

Drunk? No.

Don't really play? With supervision.

At the SANJAM last year, my P-Bass stayed on the stage for whoever wanted to play it.

My DIF or 'Bird? ONLY with close supervision and people I trust.... generally no, (but then, I don't even bring them out of the house!)

For the most part yes, but only because if I'm showing them to you than I already feel I trust you with them. As for playing out around and people asking it's a strict no, very few people I know are an exception to that rule. I used to loan one guy my cords until he left them at the show he played and someone else claimed them. Since then I go with the rule "if you don't have enough money to buy it, you won't have enough money to fix/replace it if something happens". It doesn't always make you Mr. Popular but hey the leeches keep their distance then.

The other side of this is I don't like/enjoy playing other peoples guitars - always feels uncomfortable.

The only other person that plays my guitars is my son and I don't like that much but only because he is way better than I will ever be!

I'm quite the opposite, I love trying out other people guitars. It's always good to walk a mile in another mans shoes, as it were.

However, I don't often ask to play other people's guitars, but when it's offered I jump at the opportunity. Specially if it's an invitation to sit in with gigging band. No mater how much my own band has been playing, I always get a charge out of "Sitting In".

Yea, but I lay down rules.

Don't mess with my tuning.

Don't break my strings.

Don't mess with my amp settings. (unless switching channels or removing effects)

that'll teach the drummers a lesson, but Buxom i'd be delighted to jam with you if i see you, just dont mess with my amp settings!

Interesting responses - I rarely let people just walk up and pick up a guitar at a gig unless I know them. As far as at home or in my studio it's no problem if I trust you enough to let you into my homes you can play whatever you want. Same goes for Piano's, Drums Mandolins or anything else.

Just don't try to touch a harmonica, I don't trade spit with anybody but my wife.

Archived