Gibson Brands Forums

Letting others play your guitars

davidl

I generally don't have a problem letting other folks play my guitars as long as they ask first. With the exception of one buddy who has carte blanche. He knows to wash his hands first and give the guitar a wipe after. I swear this guy sweats acid. I always have one of those pump soap bottles that don't require water.

My daughter had some friends over one time and I heard loud guitar music coming from the building next to the house and went to investigate and some young guy I had never met was wanking away on my R0. I suggested very forcefully that he NEVER touch someone's stuff without permission. My daughter was not in the building at the time or she would have torn him a new one. She's way more agressive and protective than I am.

Dave

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My buddy Shawn was visiting from South Korea about two weeks ago and I was begging him to play some of my guitars. My Tele, my Les Paul, my Chet Atkins. Oh no thanks.... I'd be too nervous about scratching them. I finally got him to pick up my Alvarez 12 string and play a little because it's already beat to hell.

Strange... [unsure]

Now... if some kid were banging away on my Chet without my permission there would be blood. [cursing]

My buddy Shawn was visiting from South Korea about two weeks ago and I was begging him to play some of my guitars. My Tele, my Les Paul, my Chet Atkins. Oh no thanks.... I'd be too nervous about scratching them. I finally got him to pick up my Alvarez 12 string and play a little because it's already beat to hell.

Strange... [unsure]

Now... if some kid were banging away on my Chet without my permission there would be blood. [cursing]

david, you call 911 while Mr. Searcy and I have a talk to this young feller out behind the milkhouse!

:angry:

J/W

Hi David, I agree with you! I don't want just anyone picking up my guitar. They need to ask first. I have run into that situation on shows, where a player wants to come up and do a couple of songs and use my guitar. Sometimes you have to size them up first. You are the one who paid the bucks for the guitar so you have the right to choose.

My general rule of thumb is if they don't look like they can pay for a new one for me,they don't touch it.Really though I can count on one hand the number of people I've let touch my guitars in the past 25 years.I attribute my fanatical care for my guitars to their being in mint or near mint condition-even the 40+ ones.

Yes.

They're all fairly solidly-made instruments (no pun intended) and I don't have any idiots for friends.

Pretty much anyone who comes here has enough sense to treat my guitars well. I'll put out the LPs, the Strat, the Tele and the acoustics so they know there's no problem trying things out.

When I used to go to RogerGLewis' place in the country I used to take a couple of Les Pauls (the R0 and a Classic) and leave them lying about in the music room so folks could have a try if they wished.

When I've gone to the 'open mic' night at the local I've taken my R0 and I'll happily swap-over guitars with the other players after-hours. It's interesting to see what they have and how they set up their own instruments. In that fashion I've had a go of some lovely guitars I'd otherwise never have had the opportunity to play.

I'm now most careful with my old 1940's G-J box - it's possibly the most fragile of the crop - but I'm more than happy for folks to give it a go. In fact we had some locksmiths around last week fitting some hardware and when the apprentice saw the G-J he almost wet himself. He said "WOW! Can I have a go?" He picked it up and played the most marvellous 'Gypsy Kings' type stuff! I'm hoping to get him around for a jam sometime to teach me some of that style of music.

P.

I guess it depends on the situation. If it's at a gig, no, unless I know you. I've played gigs with bands and they had a guitar player break a string, and then get on the mic to ask to borrow a guitar. You don't have a spare set of strings?!? C'mon dude... Generally, at gigs, I'm not a fan of other people playing my stuff other than maybe a speaker cab. I had a beer spilled into an amp head once when my band was backlining the show. That sucked. The guy never even paid me for breaking it.

Now if a friend comes over and we're hanging out, having some beers, and jamming, that's cool. I have enough guitars, amps, and pedals to go around. I've let friends borrow a guitar if they were recording or something. That kinda stuff is ok.

Once when I was in college, my roommate had some out of town friends staying at our apartment. I was at work, and when I came home I found that they had my SG out, and they played it in the living room. It was just leaning up against the wall in the corner of our living room, and my amp was still on, all my pedals were hooked up. They were lucky there wasn't a quadruple homicide when I got home.

I guess it's just a matter of how you feel about personal property, and whether you are of the persuasion that a small scratch or ding ruins the instrument, or (like me) believes these things are inevitable, and you shouldn't sweat them.

I really don't object to anyone who is sober enough to avoid dropping it or knocking the headstock off playing one of my instruments. However, picking up and playing an instrument that belongs to someone you don't know well without asking permission first is just plain bad manners. I have noticed that young musicians seem to be the worst for doing this. When I had a small studio back in the 90's, and there was more than one project going at the same time, I often had to admonish young players not to touch the other band's gear. Older guys never did this. I don't know if it was the teenage lack of impulse control or just a result of the sense of entitlement I picked up from some young players.

On the other hand, I think it's really cheesy to do what a friend of mine recently did, to pull out a new LP in front of a bunch of guitarists and do the "look what I just got, isn't it great" speech, but then act offended when one of them wants to pick it up and play a few chords. Really? you just brought it here so we could admire it from afar?

Rule number one of borrowing someone's guitar (or other tools)

1: Never borrow without asking

Rule number two of borrowing someone's guitar (or other tools)

2: Don't ask

As players, however, be aware of lookers on who look like they

would like to take a lick or two. You can assess their ability

to be responsible and how much guitar you have at risk. Take

the opportunity to teach them proper etiquette and handling I'm

talking, usually, young kids or other guitar pickers. You

can offer to let them play a tune or two .... or not.

I usually don't have much guitar at risk, and offer to let young

kids touch, hold and feel.... after washing hands of course.

Teenagers? "Get your own."

I don't mind people I know well, trust, and who have the appropriate respect, for

other people's property (in general, and guitars in particular), playing my guitars.

What I DO mind, and rail against, are those folks, that come to "jams" or "open mic"

nights, who have their own equipment, but never bring it...feeling "entitled" to use

anyone/everyone else's gear they want, at the jam! Those people simply amaze me,

with that attitude! [cursing]

CB

Wow... some of you guys are strict. Last Summer I have about 15 guitars players here and about 40 guitars and about 15 amps of every price range and make imaginable. We spent 3 days jamming and passing guitars around. I sent one guy home with my hand made EllieCaster to jam on for a year or so and one guy who couldn't be here mailed his Parker Fly to the event so others could play it. It's still here.

The only rule was you couldn't use mosquito repellant if you want to play a guitar and a good time was had by all.

I'm very laid back about anyone touching my guitars. It is nice when someone asks first, but I've honestly never had a complete stranger just come up a grab my guitar. Unless someone is an obvious screwball, most anyone is welcome to play my guitar.

Whevnever my sons have their friends over I'm always pulling out my Les Paul to show them, ask if they like my guitar and do they want to play it. My family just rolls their eyes in embarrassment. :rolleyes:

my friends who are also musicians can play my less expensive guitars like my SG or my Gretsch. My close friends or former bandmates that I still hang out with could play my my Les Paul or my Strat if they wanted, but they are usually too scared to damage them.

My old bassist could handle any guitar he wanted without having to ask. We lived together for a few years and I know he is trustworthy. I remember once I was at work and he had a friend over who brought another friend I didn't know. The stranger picked up my #1 guitar at the time and started messing around on it. When my bassist came into the room and realized what was going on he told the guy I was expected home at any minute and if he valued his life he'd put my guitar back where he found it. He told the guy "I have special privilage to handle those guitars whenever I want and I wouldn't touch that guitar without asking first. If my roommate comes home to find you holding one if his guitars without his permission - especially that one - he's likely to rip off your arms and beat you with the bloody stumps. He's a nice guy, but very protective of his instruments."

Needless to say the guitar got placed back in it's case and the guy left before I came home.

my friends who are also musicians can play my less expensive guitars like my SG or my Gretsch. My close friends or former bandmates that I still hang out with could play my my Les Paul or my Strat if they wanted, but they are usually too scared to damage them.

My old bassist could handle any guitar he wanted without having to ask. We lived together for a few years and I know he is trustworthy. I remember once I was at work and he had a friend over who brought another friend I didn't know. The stranger picked up my #1 guitar at the time and started messing around on it. When my bassist came into the room and realized what was going on he told the guy I was expected home at any minute and if he valued his life he'd put my guitar back where he found it. He told the guy "I have special privilage to handle those guitars whenever I want and I wouldn't touch that guitar without asking first. If my roommate comes home to find you holding one if his guitars without his permission - especially that one - he's likely to rip off your arms and beat you with the bloody stumps. He's a nice guy, but very protective of his instruments."

Needless to say the guitar got placed back in it's case and the guy left before I came home.

LOL!!!!! [biggrin][lol]=D>

CB

Archived