Gibson Brands Forums

Murder, I say! It's murder!

Buc McMaster

I have no idea from whence the inspiration for this lyric came. Just one of those things for which I relied on imagination and imagination alone ( I swear it's not a true story to my knowledge!) With the band it was a very swampy sounding rave up with the rhythm guitar and bass throbbing while the solo guitar ripped nasty fills and riffs in the vocal spaces. It's quite a bit different on acoustic guitar. Krassi did a version of this lyric sometime last year that was much more involved than my simple guitar line here.........I like them both!

I see a bit of camera shake here.........got the house rockin'! This should be played LOUD! One hour old set of Pearse PB New Medium gauge (I might like these), a Red Bear pick and lots of palm muting and string pulls gets a pretty spanky, growly tone from the guitar. My old Gretsch 6119 sounded even spanky-er through the Carr Rambler 2X10 - wow I loved that tone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PRlG7Bf2SQ&list=UU3tT5jzCvMj17IIpw3oVL9w&index=1&feature=plcp

Tom E Lee/Copyright MBB 2006

Late at night on a two lane road outta Nowheresville

The headlights cuttin' the dark like a knife as we topped the hill

There in the dirt with a hole in his shirt lay our best friend Bill

Slammin' the brakes made the tires scream and we saw him run

A shadowy man runnin' fast over land escapin' what he'd done

Tom E Lee reached under the seat and wrapped his hand around a gun

Blood on his shirt and that look on his face 'twas a fatal attack

Breathin' his last he said "tell her I love her" and his eyes rolled back

Tom E's eyes got as dark as the sky and he vanished into the black

Out in the dark there were boots runnin' rocks and muffled shouts

Deep dark boomin' and flashes of light as the shots rang out

Again and again and as the silence crept in it didn't leave no doubt

Stumblin' out on the edge of the road in the glare of the lights

Tumblin' into the driver's seat and he wound it up tight

Smokin' the tires with the headers on fire Tom E vanished into the night

Break of dawn on a two lane road through the desert sand

"That '37 Chevy was a burned out hulk" said the policeman

It's a mystery to me you know we never did see Tom E Lee again

Did you consider a bridge or a hook of some sort?

Thank you, sir! No, I did not think this rather lengthy story song need a repetitive bridge/chorus thing in it. And, to my way of thinking, this kind of song does well without a hook.........it's just a rhyming story set to music.

Thanks to all for the love!

Buc,

I admit: If I have ever heared this I never would start making my version. This one is just perfect!

On the other hand I am really proud with my "Helldorado" and "The balad of Tomie Lee" versions - these are my very american songs. Some day I'll record them into a studio and will post them here.msp_biggrin.gif

Freakin' awesome.

Thanks, Guth! I appreciate everyone's encouraging comments! Next month I'm taking a couple tunes to the studio with some friends to get a proper recording. It will be a live session, no dubbing and we hope to catch it on video.

And, as a side note, the Pearse New Mediums are not quite right on the Hummingbird. The .055 low E does not intonate right on this guitar, but the slightly heavier B and high E are great. So for now it's wearing a crossbred set: lights with the .013 and .017 on the high side....perfect!

Thanks, Guth! I appreciate everyone's encouraging comments! Next month I'm taking a couple tunes to the studio with some friends to get a proper recording. It will be a live session, no dubbing and we hope to catch it on video.

And, as a side note, the Pearse New Mediums are not quite right on the Hummingbird. The .055 low E does not intonate right on this guitar, but the slightly heavier B and high E are great. So for now it's wearing a crossbred set: lights with the .013 and .017 on the high side....perfect!

thats like the opposite of their bluegrass gauge sets of strings

why would one string not intonate ?? or is that a hard one to explain

why would one string not intonate ?? or is that a hard one to explain

Up around the 7th fret the .055 began to go sharp. It's just a gauge v. diameter v. string length thing........just not right on this particular guitar. The heavy string also seemed to choke the top a bit, robbing it of much of it's warmth and sustain. The .053 in the lights set is just the right low E for this guitar.

Up around the 7th fret the .055 began to go sharp. It's just a gauge v. diameter v. string length thing........just not right on this particular guitar. The heavy string also seemed to choke the top a bit, robbing it of much of it's warmth and sustain. The .053 in the lights set is just the right low E for this guitar.

That's an interesting problem. The light/medium hybrid string sets I've seen have medium lows and light highs. Just shows how different each guitar responds to strings, and maybe how different our ears are when it comes to what sounds "best".

Archived