Gibson Brands Forums

james hetfield and kirk hammet...

S t e v e

imo, i've loved metallica for as long as i've played guitar and i gotta say...they are fcuking awesome! them two (james and kirk) together are like bacon n egg, beans on toast, cheese n coleslaw, steak n chips, ect ect...check out the new "beyond magnetic" EP [drool]

Saw them at Donington in '85, then on Master of Puppets tour, then on Death Magntic tour.....excellent every time. However, that thing with Lou Reed is, in my opinion, unlistenable dross. (Nothing against Lou Reed - he has made some genius music over the years). I will give the new EP a try though...

I tried to PM Steve when beyond Magnetic came out on iTunes mid-December but your inbox was full.

I have always been a big fan of Hetfield but to me Hammet is just OK, not bad but never considered him a great player. They do compliment each other well though.

I have never been big on lead players for Thrash Metal bands though, not enough melody for me generally speaking, if I was to pick my favorite Thrash Metal lead player it would be Alex Skolnick.

find me a better rhythm/lead team...

I'll keep it Thrash & Metal:

Gary Holt / Rick Hunolt

Dan Spitz / Scott Ian

Alex Sckolnic / Eric Peterson

Kerry King / Jeff Hannamen

Mark Morton / Willie Adler

I can go on almost forever........

I think James is the better of the two, even when playing leads.

Kirk Hammet seemed to have peaked solo wise on Ride The Lightning and has progressively gotten WORSE at guitar over the years, IMO.

I love Metallica...my favorite band of all time. Not saying I listen to just them. I love have Metallica have evolved through out the years and adapted so well to the fans base. IMO Metallica are the Beatles........Hetfield and Hammet are a good combo however Hammet isn't as good as Hetfield. I think Hetfield takes the whole frontman to a whole new level with his writing,playing and audience based persona....

Best duo ever..that's easy...STEVE and SCOTT ...true story.

Archived