Guild X-700 (natural) – Blondie

Jackson PC1 (blue burst) – Bomber

Epi LP Ultra II (trans black burst) – Blackie

Fender Strat (amber) – Stevie

Fender Tele (natural) – Bruce

Yamaha G-55A (natural) – Yammer

Pippy - Djangly sure is a beauty. . B)

HA!

Anybody that's played a 360/12 knows exactly where that comes from. . B)

At least it's fairly easy to sort out which string you are actually tuning with the Ric 12. With my ES 335-12, I have to count up the tuners to find the right one. And I've only got 10 fingers......

I sometimes call my '48 J-45 "Jackson", because I bought her for $50 in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1966.

My cherry '59 Historic ES 335 is called "The Unicorn", because Gibson theoretically did not build any cherry ES 335's in 1959.

No names for my other guitars, although I sometimes think of my '68 ES 335-12 as "The Chestnut Mare" after the wonderful McGuinn riff on the Ric 12 in that particular Byrds' tune. Suppose I could have called her "Eight Miles High" or "It Won't Be Wrong", but those don't really sound like proper names for a lady.

Given the difficulty you have with knowing which string you're tuning on the 335-12, how about 'Turn, Turn, Turn'?

I sometimes call my '48 J-45 "Jackson", because I bought her for $50 in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1966.

My cherry '59 Historic ES 335 is called "The Unicorn", because Gibson theoretically did not build any cherry ES 335's in 1959.

No names for my other guitars, although I sometimes think of my '68 ES 335-12 as "The Chestnut Mare" after the wonderful McGuinn riff on the Ric 12 in that particular Byrds' tune. Suppose I could have called her "Eight Miles High" or "It Won't Be Wrong", but those don't really sound like proper names for a lady.

Cool, I live in Madison, thats 8 miles outside of Jackson, MS. I work in Jackson. Where did you buy your J45 in Jackson? (If you dont mind me asking)

I toy with naming the Woody after a Southern Belle, for s/he is a beautiful SJ, but I figure that Scarlett is more fitting for my red Howard Roberts. I also have a problem with the fact that both of the models are signature jobs named after men. They're really very curvy, feminine guitars, but whenever I have something to say about them, and get on to explaining what they are, then the model name becomes a necessary piece of data, and we're back into Howard and Woody (and all those jokes relating to the latter). This is less of a problem with a Les Paul, I think, because there are so many of them. I once thought about naming them after favourite singers with appropriate hair colour and voice, but Janis was a bit more of a constant screamer than the Howard. And while I admire her slide playing and admit she can sing, Bonnie is not really a favourite singer of mine, despite the top name. Besides I'd never play bottleneck on the Howard. Nina might do nicely for the Woody though.

Never did it – I'm not sure why. Have begun a little in recent times : Butter - Juice - Black Honey. Not a big thing here though.

Glad you mention the magnificent Chestnut Mare Nick. There's a live in tv-studio version on the Tube. Early 70's Germany or something, maybe you've seen it.

A pretty hard tune to get right – the late incarnation of The B. handles it fine+.

Cool, I live in Madison, thats 8 miles outside of Jackson, MS. I work in Jackson. Where did you buy your J45 in Jackson? (If you dont mind me asking)

Bought her, very used, from a music store downtown. That was more than 45 years ago, so I don't remember the name of the store, but it was the only big store in town that sold guitars back then.

I spent one year in college in Clinton (1966-1967) after getting booted out of Brown University for spending to much time drinking and playing guitar, and not enough time going to class. That one year at MC was enough to make me want to study more, just to get out of Clinton.

Most of my family is/was from the Laurel area and other parts of SE Mississippi, having migrated there from Georgia before the war (the Blue and Gray one). Family moved to Georgia from NC after the War of Independence, when my ancestor was paid off after that war with a land grant in Georgia in lieu of back pay for his service against the British.

(I have a sister who is a genealogist.)

Bought her, very used, from a music store downtown. That was more than 45 years ago, so I don't remember the name of the store, but it was the only big store in town that sold guitars back then.

I spent one year in college in Clinton (1966-1967) after getting booted out of Brown University for spending to much time drinking and playing guitar, and not enough time going to class. That one year at MC was enough to make me want to study more, just to get out of Clinton.

Most of my family is/was from the Laurel area and other parts of SE Mississippi, having migrated there from Georgia before the war (the Blue and Gray one). Family moved to Georgia from NC after the War of Independence, when my ancestor was paid off after that war with a land grant in Georgia in lieu of back pay for his service against the British.

(I have a sister who is a genealogist.)

Cool, I was born in Laurel, My grandparents(mothers parents) were from a small town named helidelberg, about 20-25 miles outside Laurel.

• 1 year later...

Mine are all named after my daughters and my girlfriend.

Epiphone Sheraton 2, Melody

Gretsch 5120, Tiffany

Epiphone Hummingbird, Ruby

Yamaha APX500, Emily

Epiphone Howard Roberts, Wendy

Squiier Telecaster, Sheena, the punk rocker :)

J-45TV = Mr. Brown

LG-2 = The Nimbus....short for Nimbus 2000. I let my 6 year old name it, hence the Harry Potter reference, but Nimbus also means the aura around a deity on earth....so I think it is fitting given the dark echoing reverbish sustain it produces sometimes. ...it can be mesmerizing.

No names for the others.....

All female names as I believe guitars have a female spirit.

"Epi", my first, is my Epiphone. I know, not real creative but it fits. I've decided it's short for Epaphrodite. It's Greek. Means beautiful is Aphrodite, which she is.

"Stella", an old Haromony Stella. Again not real creative, but descriptive.

"Jean".. it's personal. She's my main player, a Flat top Yamaha. And no she isn't named for an ex girlfriend, or anything like that. Again, it's personal.

"Otilda", I call her "Tilly" for short. She's my Ovation classical. Okay, okay, she's an Applause. I needed and "O" name so I could call her my "O" just to cheese off the Birkenstock wearin' Ovation owners over at the Ovation Fan Club forum. Otilda is the name of a much loved great aunt who made great date cookies.

" ? ", a yet unnamed 'tourist grade' Spanish made classical. The inspiration hasn't hit me yet. She's been in the shop for way, way too long. After she's strung up, maybe something will hit me. Probably a Spanish name.

"Ruby", a metal flake red Squire Stratocaster. From the song "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town," a very soulful angst filled song penned by Mel T-T-T-Tillis, and originally recorded by a not so well known Alabama boy, Johnny Darrell. Until I played her on a regular basis, it was my opinion that solid body guitars had no soul. As such, they didn't deserve a name other than, 'the red Strat'. She proved me wrong. Therefore, she deserved a name. I was pondering a name for her, when the aforementioned song started to play on the electric radio. In case you missed it, she's red, rubies are red. I pondered "Dorothy" of "The Wizard of Oz" for matching Dorothy's glittery ruby red slippers, but "Ruby" stuck.

Last year I was about to name my first Les Paul guitar after a woman thirty years younger than me I was and still am in love with in vain. I hadn't seen her for more than a year that time, and now it's again over a year since... But meanwhile I bought another twenty-one solidbody guitars, seven of them with piezos for acoustic tones. I want to be able to create the sounds I need when playing the dozens of songs I wrote for her. It would be crazy and useless to name these guitars all the same, and absolutely weird to say her name instead of the word guitar #-o

So it turned out to be the way that I began to name my guitars after the particular songs I initially bought them for, followed by the word guitar to separate it from the related song.

By the way, in German every noun has its gender in grammar, and guitars are female here as in many other countries, too.

I am not the sort who names guitars, so my Gibson will likely remain nameless.

But I have this other guitar that is sort of a homemade thing. Inside is a piece of paper that says "Charlotte E #1, built by Joseph R Garside, London Ontario 1932."

So, that guitar is always Charlotte.

My wife likes that name and we considered naming one of our daughters that, but it seemed...untoward somehow.

Archived