Gibson Brands Forums

What was your first car?

dem00n

Oh wow! You guy's have had some very cool car's! I learned to drive on a farm that our next-door neighbors worked at, I was 12 or 13 then, there where all kinds of trucks, tractor's and even and old Willies Jeep (1940's) at Brookberry Farm I drove most every vehicle there. First car I was allowed to drive on my own was a 1970 Plymouth Valiant, think it had a 318 but it may have been a slant 6. My grandma had died a few years before I got my license so it became my car (to drive that is) for a while. My dad had a 1966 bare bone's (no extra's) Mustang with a 200CDI strait 6 and a monojet Holly carb and 3 speed on the console (between the 2 front seats) that he bought brand new in 66' for like $600 (US). All 3 of my older sister's got licks (dent's) on that car, I helped dear old dad re do the top end (valve-train) and he gave me the key's for a while.

We also had a 1970 Chevy Concourse Estate wagon that dad got new in 70' to pull the family camper, it had been special ordered with a towing package that included a 350CID with 325 HP and a modified TF 400 3 speed trany. That old late 50's Layton camper was like towing a 1000 tone ship anchor! When out west to the Rocky Mt's/Grand Canyon a couple of times, I couldn't even begin to count how many trips to Myrtle beach & the NC outer banks we made. Needless to say the wagon had about 200K on it when dad parked the Mustang for good and let me drive the family boat, me and my high school friends would take it to the drive-in packing in as many kids as we could.

The First car that had my name on the title was a 1975 Chevy Camaro LT...It was a nice car but was old and didn't last to long. I got a picture of it around here some where, it was red with Keystone mag's and had a 350CID Me and a friend did rebuild the engine with a L82 cam and I put a 600 Holly and a intake that came off a 69' something. I didn't have money for higher compressor piston's so the stock low compression ones stayed in, it had great top end but not a bit of take-off.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What speakers did you put?

I replaced the driver and passenger door speakers with 6-1/2 inch dual cone Kenwood speakers and I replaced the rear deck speakers with Kenwood 6x9 3-way speakers. It was a real pain to replace the back ones since I had to dismantle the entire rear interior of the car just to remove the rear deck panel so I could get to the speakers.

I replaced the driver and passenger door speakers with 6-1/2 inch Kenwood speakers and I replaced the rear deck speakers with Kenwood 6x9 speakers. It was a real pain to replace the back ones since I had to dismantle the entire rear interior of the car.

Kenwood make some pretty good car speakers, at least you didn't put those bass speakers that every teenager put in their car. [lol]

Kenwood make some pretty good car speakers, at least you didn't put those bass speakers that every teenager put in their car. [lol]

I bought the cheapest ones I could get. I was just looking for some cheap factory replacements. But they do sound really good.

D-poland

Yup, all had the pushbutton I think except the '55 and '61.... Can't really remember much, really... The '59 Plymouth actually was straight stick with a shot tranny so you basically shifted by the revs.

The '55 had the stick on the dashboard.

Seriously, if you knew the tranny, you'd be surprised what you could do with either the two-button or the three-button varieties.

m

D-poland

Yup, all had the pushbutton I think except the '55 and '61.... Can't really remember much, really... The '59 Plymouth actually was straight stick with a shot tranny so you basically shifted by the revs.

The '55 had the stick on the dashboard.

Seriously, if you knew the tranny, you'd be surprised what you could do with either the two-button or the three-button varieties.

m

Sounds like the syncro's were shot in your '59. My uncle taught me to drive a semi in a 1954 White that had a 190 Cummins and a 5X4 tranny with a 2speed brownie. There was no syncro's! You were the syncro, by the time he was done I could drive it with out using the clutch and shift it as smooth as a auto. Served me well when I decided to leave music and lose myself on the four lanes. I had a cab over freight shaker with a 8V92 Detroit with twin turbos & after cooler laying down @ 1800ft lbs of torque @ 1850 rpms had a 13spd roadmaster. I always liked Cats better but the Detroit cost $22,000.00 and the Cat was about $32,000.00, so...Cummins were right in the middle cost wise, but the GM Detroit had a better warrenty, with 3:90 gear ratio that rig could twist the wheels up to over 100mph, not that I would know that....[cool]

First car I owned was right after I got out of the army in 1971. I had a 1949 Buick sedan that I bought from a gas station for $25. Had it for about 3 years, sold it for $100.

mark

Looked like this one, but green:

http://www.americandreamcars.com/1949buicksuper083004.htm

it had a straight 8 engine, and was the only 3 speed stick Buick I have ever seen.

Yeah, I would love to have an old Charger or Coronet again, or a HEMI Cuda! I miss shredding the pavement! I drive a 2005 Ford Escape now, LOL - 4 cyl of ground pounding fury. Yeah - Right. <_<

I hear ya. Now my drive is a 09 Explorer 6 cylinder. The previous car was an 05 Mustang convertible we bought new. Lots of fun but not the best choice for Canadian winters.

Jax...

Yupper on the syncros... but... I didn't mention 'cuz I didn't know whether the younger set would have known what I was talking about.

And yup, if you did it right, it shifted smooth as silk without the clutch. <grin> A different world, eh?

Which reminds me that when I ran a dozer a couple of times at 18, I gained huge respect for catskinners. Then I talked to some older guys who ran the pre-hydraulic ones. Sheesh. Cupla years ago I got to play in a military dozer and what a different world when there's air conditioning and joysticks runnin' the thing. <grin>

Cars are about the same, in ways.

I always teased, btw, that one think I liked and respected about one young lady back in my misspent youth was that she could get a good downshift in the old Healey that was about 80 percent worn on the syncro too.

m

Jax...

I always teased, btw, that one think I liked and respected about one young lady back in my misspent youth was that she could get a good downshift in the old Healey that was about 80 percent worn on the syncro too.

m

Man, the fine art of "dubba clutch'n" is lost to the past. I remember it well with several rides. A Healy prolly needed it from 1st to 2nd when it was losing a syncro. I say again, what a batch of EXCELLENT rides. In fact, I'd love to tool around in that fire truck too! What a beautiful piece of equipment that is. Bet it's fun. Does the pumper work and stuff?

Aster

Man, the fine art of "dubba clutch'n" is lost to the past. I remember it well with several rides. A Healy prolly needed it from 1st to 2nd when it was losing a syncro. I say again, what a batch of EXCELLENT rides. In fact, I'd love to tool around in that fire truck too! What a beautiful piece of equipment that is. Bet it's fun. Does the pumper work and stuff?

Aster

Everything is fully functional on the truck. Its a double clutcher too. It is fun to drive but if you don't handle a clutch well you can easily bust an axel. Specially in reverse.

It is my father in laws pumper and he restored it from a heap of junk. That truck did a cross Canada tour in 2000. Took 4 months at around 30 mph. Quite a feat if anyone is familiar with the Canadian rockies. In actual fact, the steeper hills were in Newfoundland.

Archived