Gibson Brands Forums

Elixir users....

onewilyfool

I used to be an Elixer Nanoweb player - seemed to get 20 hours of really fresh sound, and then they'd kind of lose luster after 40 + hours, usually changed them monthly - after 40 to 60 hours of play time. I seem to get the same sonic timeframe out of the Curt Mangan strings I use, change them about the same interval - 40 hours or so, but at half the cost of the coated Elixers.

I have used polywebs and nano webs for 5 years. I get 3 good months of use from both. I am good about using a rag to wipe them down frequently. Even during the summer when gigging in Florida at an outdoor venue (lot's of sweat) I can get several good weeks from Elixirs. I am a fan.

I use nanoweb on my AJ. They "break in" after about 3 or 4 days. In my experience Exirirs last about twice as long as the non-coated D'Addario strings that I occassionally use. That is to say about 6 - 8 weeks depending on how much I play

Never bonded with coated strings., seems like they struggle in the tone dept when playing finger style. I live in AZ strings last a long time here because of the lack of humidity. The coating probably helps in a humid environment to keep the string from oxidizing.

Elixirs isn't my favorite cup of tea – they somehow alienate me from the guitars.

Said this several times and there's no reason to repeat it – and I've noticed they seem to work for relatively many folks around here.

It would be a bit more interesting to tell there is set on my acoustic baritone guitar. A German made monster I've had for some time. It came with them and I decided to keep them on for the months ahead – maybe over the summer. Not that familiar with this type of instrument, I need to experiment back and forth with tunings, capos and just playing it. For this the long-lived Elixirs will do (though they already begin to unravel). Later when new strings are needed, I'll change to non-coated ones. Have to search the market as I'm a novice behind these fat wires. The comparison will be something. . .

I use elixers on all my electrics and acoustics. They last long, great tone and feel easier and smoother on my fingers.

Some players hate em, I love em.

pretty much my opinion. love them. but just put a set of martin lifespan 80/20 on my seagull sws and they sound much better than the nanowebs.

pretty much my opinion. love them. but just put a set of martin lifespan 80/20 on my seagull sws and they sound much better than the nanowebs.

I tried the Elixirs and did not like the tone at all. I then tried the Martin Lifespan SPs with the Goretech coating and really like them on my AJ. All my other acoustics still have uncoated strings. If you try the Elixirs and don't like them, try the Martins.

• 1 month later...

Couple of questions:

1. How long do you play your strings before they lose that just-out-of-the-box jangly sound???

2. How long do your strings last generally before you have to change them?

Thanks

I use Elixir lights...nanoweb either PB or 80/20 on every guitar I own...Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, RainSongs, and Epiphones, and Guilds. A set never lasts me less than 100 hours..often 150 hours of satisfactory play. Even then when changed, I can almost not tell the difference. Without Elixirs, I would own far less guitars, and in fact only began collecting guitars since Elixir strings came out..before then..ONE ACOUSTIC...because strings go bad too often. Elixir opened up a whole new world of collecting acoustics, because now I can own 50 guitars and know that even if I don't play a given guitar for two years, when I open the case and play, the strings are good....Always... I've have the same set of Elixirs on my RainSong Graphite Jumbo for the last 5 years straight, which was kept at my Fathers house and played at least 12 times a year. I recently changed the strings on it, to new Elixirs...couldn't even tell the difference. Should have kept the 5 year strings on.In my opinion, elixirs not only last 3 to 5 times longer..but they last 10 times longer. Every guitar I own is up and ready to play the minute I open the casr because Elixirs are on ALL OF THEM. And each guitar still sounds uniquely different even with the same strings. No other string is made like Elixir. I used to work in Bell labs...and I analyzed these strings before and after 100 hours of use under a 100,000X microscope, both externally and internally at the string core. After over 100 hours of play the elixir core was virtually pristine..not one skin flake or trace of oil or contamination ..again under the best high power microscopes in the world. All other coated strings tested were filthy at the string core, rusted, packed with debre and stains from skin salts...not elixir. Just look at the Elixir pack and see the picture of that nanoweb coating draped over every winding and sealing the entire string, including the core...Yes, it looks JUST LIKE THAT under high power magnification, and it takes a tough pointed stainless steel tweezers to begin to rip it off, as I tried this. Elixirs are simply the best. The fiber allows sound to escape..other coated strings are sloppily sealed with gumpy plastic coating. Elixir is patented for a reason. By LAW, no other maker may use Elixirs coating or risk major law suit. This means that every other coated string out there is inferior. I did not believe it myself till I saw it with my own eyes under high power research instruments.

As some of the other posters noted: Elixers take a few days to break in. They can sound very bright and a bit edgy. After about 5 days for me anyway, they really open up and produce a nice mellow tone, at least that's my experience. I use them on all my guitars electric and acoustic.

Oh yeah I usually go about 3 months between string changes, if I was gigging I would change them monthly.

I'm generally not a fan of coated strings. Having said that, I use Elixir nanowebs on my ES 335-12. The 12-string doesn't get played much, and changing strings is a royal pain. The Elixirs last much longer than uncoated strings, and I can tolerate the tone of old strings on an amplified electric much more than I can on an acoustic. In fact, the set on there now has been on for more than six months.

I would only use them if I gigged severat times a week. I generally dont like the slipper feel of em, and I also believe unplugged they deliver somewhat of a 'filtered' tone, i dont feel i really hear the true tone of the guitar like i hear it with other strings. But they last me forever, when i was experimenting with them, and tried same set on several guitars the whole period i had them on was almost 6 months and they still sounded decent at the end.

For me right now the best coated strings that seem to have longevity and natural tone are the Martin SP longlife strings.

I use Elixir lights...nanoweb either PB or 80/20 on every guitar I own...Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, RainSongs, and Epiphones, and Guilds. A set never lasts me less than 100 hours..often 150 hours of satisfactory play. Even then when changed, I can almost not tell the difference. Without Elixirs, I would own far less guitars, and in fact only began collecting guitars since Elixir strings came out..before then..ONE ACOUSTIC...because strings go bad too often. Elixir opened up a whole new world of collecting acoustics, because now I can own 50 guitars and know that even if I don't play a given guitar for two years, when I open the case and play, the strings are good....Always... I've have the same set of Elixirs on my RainSong Graphite Jumbo for the last 5 years straight, which was kept at my Fathers house and played at least 12 times a year. I recently changed the strings on it, to new Elixirs...couldn't even tell the difference. Should have kept the 5 year strings on.In my opinion, elixirs not only last 3 to 5 times longer..but they last 10 times longer. Every guitar I own is up and ready to play the minute I open the casr because Elixirs are on ALL OF THEM. And each guitar still sounds uniquely different even with the same strings. No other string is made like Elixir. I used to work in Bell labs...and I analyzed these strings before and after 100 hours of use under a 100,000X microscope, both externally and internally at the string core. After over 100 hours of play the elixir core was virtually pristine..not one skin flake or trace of oil or contamination ..again under the best high power microscopes in the world. All other coated strings tested were filthy at the string core, rusted, packed with debre and stains from skin salts...not elixir. Just look at the Elixir pack and see the picture of that nanoweb coating draped over every winding and sealing the entire string, including the core...Yes, it looks JUST LIKE THAT under high power magnification, and it takes a tough pointed stainless steel tweezers to begin to rip it off, as I tried this. Elixirs are simply the best. The fiber allows sound to escape..other coated strings are sloppily sealed with gumpy plastic coating. Elixir is patented for a reason. By LAW, no other maker may use Elixirs coating or risk major law suit. This means that every other coated string out there is inferior. I did not believe it myself till I saw it with my own eyes under high power research instruments.

i hope they pay you for all that ! money saved on strings buys another guitar!? if only

The idea of owning a guitar and not playing it for 2 years is beyond my comprehension ... whats the point ??

Elixir opened up a whole new world of collecting acoustics, because now I can own 50 guitars and know that even if I don't play a given guitar for two years, when I open the case and play, the strings are good....

Archived