Gibson Brands Forums

Im going to America in the summer

krock

My cousins getting married in June so Im flying from England to the US for about 2 weeks. Luckily Ive only got to be present at the wedding for about 2 days. The wedding is in Ohio, Im hiring a car for the rest of the 2 weeks. What should I be going to see on my first visit of the US?

My cousins getting married in June so Im flying from England to the US for about 2 weeks. Luckily Ive only got to be present at the wedding for about 2 days. The wedding is in Ohio, Im hiring a car for the rest of the 2 weeks. What should I be going to see on my first visit of the US?

What area of Ohio are you headed for? Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

If you can make the drive, I would highly recommend going to NYC. Gotta visit the greatest city in the world. Visit Times Square and walk down 48th Street where all the guitar shops are located. It's about a 12 hour drive from Ohio.

Alternatively, you could make a pilgrimage to Kalamazoo, Michigan and visit the old Gibson factory. I believe Heritage Guitars is still in that building. Enjoy your visit

Hmmm, well, if you're driving, I'd recommend sticking pretty close to your original location. -Probably within a day's drive. You don't want to spend too much time in the car. I'd say that trips to Cleveland, or maybe Chicago, or New York could all be done. Also, and my opinion may be a little biased here, check out Pittsburgh. That's my city. I love it. Hell, I'll buy you a beer (as long as you're 21). One other thing I'd recommend when planning your trip is to look for any state or national parks along your planned route. There are some beautiful sights to be seen.

Check out Niagara Falls right outside of Buffalo, NY. It's a wonder of the world, and you really must see it at least once. If you have the time, it's worth staying over night on the Canadian side in Niagara Falls, Ontario. It's so beautiful at night, and it's really quite spectacular.

Not to mention it's only about a 5 hour drive from where you'll be.

If you have the time, it's worth staying over night on the Canadian side in Niagara Falls, Ontario. It's so beautiful at night, and it's really quite spectacular.

Yes, the Canadian side has a beautiful view. But that's all I've got to say in its favour. Last time I went to the falls, I crossed the border into the US and loved the fact that they have a nice clean park. On the Canadian side, it's a little cheesy and touristy.

Hmmm, well, if you're driving, I'd recommend sticking pretty close to your original location. -Probably within a day's drive. You don't want to spend too much time in the car. I'd say that trips to Cleveland, or maybe Chicago, or New York could all be done. Also, and my opinion may be a little biased here, check out Pittsburgh. That's my city. I love it. Hell, I'll buy you a beer (as long as you're 21). One other thing I'd recommend when planning your trip is to look for any state or national parks along your planned route. There are some beautiful sights to be seen.

Unfortunatly im still only 19, Im going to have to find some places willing to seve under 21's. The one condition I made about going to America was that I could be assured of a good drink.

And thanks for all the suggestions guys, Ill be sure to consider them. I believe I'll be in the Columbus region, so the rock hall of fame is just directly NE. I might check out the area then get a plane to somewhere else and get another car from there im not too sure yet

Unfortunatly im still only 19, Im going to have to find some places willing to seve under 21's. The one condition I made about going to America was that I could be assured of a good drink.

And thanks for all the suggestions guys, Ill be sure to consider them. I believe I'll be in the Columbus region, so the rock hall of fame is just directly NE. I might check out the area then get a plane to somewhere else and get another car from there im not too sure yet

Well... good luck. You could have someone buy for you to drink in your hotel room or something. 21 is the legal drinking age nationwide. Might be able to find a couple dives willing to risk serving underage.

Well... good luck. You could have someone buy for you to drink in your hotel room or something. 21 is the legal drinking age nationwide. Might be able to find a couple dives willing to risk serving underage.

Im going to be the youngest in my party so Ill just have to rely on the others to buy drinks for me.

Two things to consider is how long will you be in the states, and what interest you the most?

From Ohio there are many places that are not to long of a drive, Nashville isn't too far, Chicago is near, Washington DC is close by. If you are into aviation one of the largest air museums in the world is located at Wright Patterson Air Base in Dayton Ohio, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is close by, so you will be in a good spot.

Two things to consider is how long will you be in the states, and what interest you the most?

From Ohio there are many places that are not to long of a drive, Nashville isn't too far, Chicago is near, Washington DC is close by. If you are into aviation one of the largest air museums in the world is located at Wright Patterson Air Base in Dayton Ohio, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is close by, so you will be in a good spot.

Im going to be there for around 2 or 3 weeks.I like aircraft, Ive been to most of the aircraft museums in the South of the UK

You'll be about a 7 hour drive from Washington, DC, kinda far, but if you like aircraft, the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum is pretty amazing. Lots of other intersting sites in DC also.

Krock...

I think basically you've gotten some good advice.

I'd be happy to show you around the geo center of the US but - frankly it'd be too far for a practical car tour for your purposes.

Compared to the UK, the US is far, far more vast to consider quick travel by car from one side to the other and I agree with the guys who suggest day trips. In ways if you set up a circle tour of some sort to incorporate sightseeing along the roadside, it could also be fun, too.

We drive on the opposite side of the road from your habits, though, which can be a problem for some folks in heavy traffic or in rapid response situations.

Frankly when I've been "overseas," I've been more interested in the people than so much time looking at stuff - excluding, of course things like the big statue over Rio, etc.

But for example of all the times I've been in New York, I've never really seen the statue of liberty...

m

One other thing I'd recommend when planning your trip is to look for any state or national parks along your planned route. There are some beautiful sights to be seen.

+1 - Our National and State parks are generally real treasures. I base my travel around them whenever possible. [thumbup]

Krock...

I think basically you've gotten some good advice.

Compared to the UK, the US is far, far more vast to consider quick travel by car from one side to the other and I agree with the guys who suggest day trips. In ways if you set up a circle tour of some sort to incorporate sightseeing along the roadside, it could also be fun, too.

m

Ill definitely put forward to my group that we do just that

+1 - Our National and State parks are generally real treasures. I base my travel around them whenever possible. [thumbup]

Would Monongahela national park be closest to ohio. Its on the way to washington aswell I believe so it might be easier to fit in.

You should go to Memphis man.

I love blues music so yeah it would be great to see what Memphis has to offer

There is so much America has to offer, I just hope I can fit loads of fun things in

as an ex-pat Brit living in Oklahoma, I'd add not to be too discouraged by the distances that people talk about driving here. I know that 100 miles is still considered a fair drive in the UK, whereas I'll drive that to have dinner with someone. It is MUCH MUCH easier to drive long distances here, and much less tiring.

If anyone tries to ID you for alcohol, put on your thickest accent and explain that you only have a passport, and don't have it with you. Better still, if the UK still had the green or pink driver licenses with no photograph that look a bit like a sales receipt, with your date of birth rendered in some sort of code, pull that out.

Another piece of advice, Krock.......

Go with a fairly empty suitcase. You can buy Levis and high quality sweatshirts and T-shirts in the US for a lot cheaper than they are in the UK. University campus shops sell their unique tops too (I'd bet one of the Ivy League Unis might be somewhere en route- an authentic Harvard or Princeton top bought on campus would be very cool.)

I know this won't help you location-wise but my sister and I did a fly drive to the West Coast when I was in my early 20s. However, we did follow a roughly circular route as has been suggested above. I can confirm that, in doing that, you'll get more out of your time there and the distances and driving will be manageable. Incidentally we did LA (Disney, Hollywood, Universal Studios, Sea World) and then drove up the Pacific Coast route up through all the cool little towns like Santa Barbara, San Louis Obispo and then Monterey to finally reach San Fancisco. From there we went to Yosemite National Park, then Las Vegas via the Mohave Desert, The Grand Canyon National Park (and back to Vegas) in a day; and finally back to LA. I think I've got the order right anyway (it was 20 years ago.) BTW, when you first reach your chosen vantage point over the Grand Canyon it truly takes your breath away. The sheer vastness of that canyon is an experience to behold. Another BTW- I got myself a UCLA sweat shirt at the time.

If you like roller coasters and other rides you could go to Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/things-to-do/roller-coasters

Kings Island just north of Cincinnati Ohio.

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/

They are both about a 2 hour drive from Columbus..Opposite directions though.

There is the Columbus Zoo, one of the best zoos thanks to Jack Hanna.

COSI (Center Of Science and Industry) is in Columbus. I haven't been there for many years, but remember it was interesting.

Someone already mentioned the Air force museum in Dayton.

Where are you catching your flight back to the UK? 2 1/2 weeks is a good amount of time but like it has been said you don't want to be driving the whole time so I'd start out and work your way towards the city that your flying out of to go back home. You won't be to far from Chicago so that would be high on the list as I believe there is still a Smithsonian there, DC's is a bit more impressive but the one in Chicago is good to. Mount Rushmore is far freaking out man! And it is a big part of US history but it's a good ways from Ohio. Detroit, Michigan is where we started the modern auto industry, R&R Hall of Fame is a good spot if you like R&R, NYC is cool too, I've been there a few time's but never had more than a day to see it.

Your going to be close to Canada so you might as well go there too, the Up State New York area is very nice in the summer time, lots of stuff there as well. Philadelphia and Baltimore are cool, there is the New England state's to, lots of US history there for ya. Down in Virginia you got Fort James and Jamestown, that was the first permanent English settlement in North America. Then there is the Gibson Guitar factory in Nashville Tennessee, they don't make the acoustics there, just electrics.

Pretty much all along the north/middle east coast of the country has so much early western settler's history you should be able to find something about the Colonial Period in most every state on the coast. We have Kitty Hawk here in North Carolina (outer banks) where the Wright brother's first flew heaver than air airplanes if you like aircraft history. I myself would rather visit Wright Paterson in Ohio as there are a lot more thing's to see there and it's closer to where your going to be.

Not trying to be a drag or scare you or anything but underage drinking is not very popular in the US, lot's of kids do it but the laws have gotten a lot stricter in the past 20 years here. And firearms are very legal in the state's so almost everyone owns them, not everyone is gung-ho but be careful as out in the stick's people like to shoot them...some times sober! We even got place's that will provide them for you to enjoy in safety, of coarse you can't walk out the door with a gun but they have a range set up that is supervised.

Archived