Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibsons have made me claustrophobic?

Vega1

I've been playing my Les Paul and SG almost exclusively for a few months now (and an acoustic once in a while). The other night I got my HM Strat out so it knew I still loved it... and all of a sudden the volume knob is completely in my way. I can still play it, but it feels so cramped trying to avoid the knob now. [confused]

I've played that guitar for over 20 years (and another 1977 Strat I owned til 1999) and never noticed that knob getting in my way. Whats the deal? Did my style change to suit the Gibsons without me noticing?

When I first started playing a stratocaster, that knob was my biggest issue. I was so mad I thought I would never be able to play a strat. Finally, I "learned" how to play one without messing with the volume knob.

Funny about this thread, I grabbed my stratocaster and recorded some blues today. I haven't played it in months, and the action is very high. The knob is not an issue now, but playing 1 is definitely different than playing a Gibson. I'll probably post the video later. it's a different beast, IMHO.

A common complaint of people who make the move from Gibson to Fenders is about the knob placements,especially the volume control.Since the Strats and Teles were mainly designed by country influenced players they specified that the controls be placed relatively close to the strings to facilitate the steel guitar like volume swells prefered by country pickers.Conversly a lot of Fender players find the switch to Gibsons somewhat off-putting as they don't allow for easy volume swells.

My 62 reissue is the total opposite. Frets are farther apart and there is more space between strings. Wild.

The fret spacing isn't the issue for me. The string spacing is and if your 62 RI Fender has more space between the string than my Les Paul or my Chet CG then Fender is doing a really crappy job of copying the vintage specs for their reissues.

The fret spacing isn't the issue for me. The string spacing is and if your 62 RI Fender has more space between the string than my Les Paul or my Chet CG then Fender is doing a really crappy job of copying the vintage specs for their reissues.

I'm not familiar with your LP or CG. What I said was about my Gibsons.

I measured the G and D strings on the third frets om my R0 Gibson and my Strat. They were practially identical in space.

Then I measured the space between the same strings, but on the 12th fret. My Strat's spacing was about a quarter of a cm longer. Evidently not a crappy job by Fender, and not an issue with me. Not all guitars are made eaqual, but I thought guitarists knew that.

I'm not familiar with your LP or CG. What I said was about my Gibsons.

I measured the G and D strings on the third frets om my R0 Gibson and my Strat. They were practially identical in space.

Then I measured the space between the same strings, but on the 12th fret. My Strat's spacing was about a quarter of a cm longer. Evidently not a crappy job by Fender, and not an issue with me. Not all guitars are made eaqual, but I thought guitarists knew that.

Measure E to E at the nut.

I enjoy playing both. When I want swells on my SG, I do the EVH Cathedral thing! I thought about using a volume pedal, but they just don't sound as natural as the volume knob.

The only problem I have with Strats is knocking the switch out of place. And the jacks kind of annoy me.

I tend to knock the switch on Les Pauls. My SG doesn't have that issue.

As much as I love all my Gibson's...I'll never (willingly) sell my Strats, or Telecasters!

In fact, I took one of my Tele's, to our rehearsal, tonight. Sounded awesome, both "clean,"

and overdriven! [thumbup] There's good reason, and room, for both! I switch back and forth,

enough, between (several) brands, that knob placement, scale, and string spacing is not

what I'd call a problem, really...just a minor "adjustment," for me.

CB

As much as I love all my Gibson's...I'll never (willingly) sell my Strats, or Telecasters!

In fact, I took one of my Tele's, to our rehearsal, tonight. Sounded awesome, both "clean,"

and overdriven! [thumbup] There's good reason, and room, for both! I switch back and forth,

enough, between (several) brands, that knob placement, scale, and string spacing is not

CB

This. A different make/model guitar is simply that. Different. You either acclimate to the others, or exclude them. Your choice. And probably why so many love brand X over brand Y, one or the other feels more "natural" or "comfortable" to them. For most, if you spend some time playing them, you will adjust (or in the case of the OP, adjust back).

CB

i'm w/Charlie on this one!

the difference in tones is what just knocks me out!

i'd played for about 30 yrs. before I ever REALLY tried out a Fender (except a Bullet Bass I had in the 80s).

not only are the differences about nil to my style, I actually prefer a curved fb, over a flatter one.

Fender clones are also a WONDERFUL intro to building guitars.

it's really fun to alternate brands for the same song(s), sometimes it'll give them whole new feelings and meanings.

these are just my personal opine's, and we're all entitled to be different!

I have (had more like it) a hard time playing a LP live because I would get in trouble with the controls. With a Strat, I am so used to using the controls I don't realize I am using them. So using the volume controls on an LP gets me in trouble if I hit the switch.

USING the controls on the guitar for me is the best way to adjust the tone, and the sound while playing. With a Strat, there is a master and there isn't major changes selecting pups, but it is all right THERE.

I think for the most part, it is more of a matter of remembering or keeping track of where the guitar is set with an LP, and taking advantage of 'presets' or drastic changes you can do with a flick of the switch. With a Strat, you can fine tune as you go and use where you are as a reference.

But, I think also as much as knob location, the shape of the guitar and the bridge effects the position and the technique used for the right hand. The TOM bridge on a Gibby makes a great anchor to rest your hand, and the strings going over it allows easier picking closer toward the bridge. I think a lot of LP type players get used to that and tend to palm the bridge of a strat the same way when they pick it up, and that puts the pick right on the knob. But I think most Strat players anchor the arm on the guitar more. The strings are closer to the body as well, which allows for resting the hand partially on the body above the strings.

Every time I pick up a different guitar, the guitar seems to tell me what to play by how it sounds and feels. It is as if each instrument has a mind of its own and shares ideas with me through it's tone.

I may be a little crazy sounding but I'll bet others feel this from their different models also or they would only have one guitar. I also have to adjust a little from one make to the next but it is a minor adjustment. All guitars talk to us if we listen.

Never had a problem playing a Strat or an LP, or a PRS or an Eastman or any other electric guitar I own. I just subconciously adjust to the ergonomics of the guitar I am playing. Acoustics too.

I just don't so see this as an issue, speaking for myself

Never had a problem playing a Strat or an LP, or a PRS or an Eastman or any other electric guitar I own. I just subconciously adjust to the ergonomics of the guitar I am playing. Acoustics too.

I just don't so see this as an issue, speaking for myself

I probably would have said that about myself to a couple months ago. Turns out I don't, or maybe I used to and don't anymore. [crying]

Not complaining by the way, its not like I can't or wont play the strat anymore. I just thought it was weird that it never happened to me before.

There is no such thing as one brand being better than the rest.Some people may gravitate to a particular brand because their guitars may have the feel or sound that they are looking for but that doesn`t mean for one minute that the brand they chose is better than the others, although I have seen people with exactly this myopic opinion.As the owner of several brands of excellent guitars I have come to appreciate the unique nuances of each guitar based on its own merits.One guitar may have better ergonomics than another but that other guitar may have a far better suited tone for the type of playing that one does.With all guitars you have to weigh out the pros and cons of it and learn to adapt to it .I`m just as contented playing my old Gretsch as my old Strat but if I want to play "Foxy Lady" I`ll be picking up the Strat while if I want to play "I`m Happy Just To Dance With You" Id be picking up the Gretsch,it all boils down too what you need in a guitar.

I agree with bonzoboy. During a typical Friday night practise and jam session. I probably play 3 different electrics and 3 different acoustics, depending on the song selection.

Example: Hard rock lead, I play a Strat, Tele or a PRS SE SC. Blues: Gibson LP. Country rock "Bird" for picking and Rhythm and a 12 string Martin.. Acoustic lead, A Taylor or Bird Pro.

For inticate finger picking and lots of bar chords and singing, I prefer a PRS hollow body. And the list goes on...... (I am spoiled)

I never even think about knobs and bridges etc..

Archived