Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird Pick Guard Vent

iwalktheline

hello boys, sorry to bring this topic up once again but as some of you might remember about a month or so ago I had sold my 1996 vintage burst hummingbird to get the much more desired cherry burst. the guitar I got was in immaculate condition including the pick guard. So, here we are less than 2 months later and what do we have? The design is already coming off!!! As I recall some had said to me dont worry about the design you have the guitar. Well, I really do understand that but, some like myself were drawn to this particular guitar because of this design as well the sound and overall look. It just really pisses me off that one of the main aspects of this guitar could be made so (hate to say) cheap. Even on some of the newer ones its still an ongoing problem. I just do not understand this. They make an anti scratch one, just put it on all of the newer ones and be done with it. For the money that is spent on this guitar, this should not be an issue now or never should have been an issue. And yes Im the obsessive type that will have to eventually fork over more money to get a new guard. It just bothers the hell out of me, spend that type of money and to have something that should not be an issue become an issue is realy stupid. Again, I realize some dont have an issue with this problem but I for one do. I wish I was able to just turn the other cheek but it just bothers me. Sorry guys, I just had to get that out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the idea behind the "vintage" models is that they have vintage appointments. So a vintage model 'bird would have the pickguard with the design etching on the outside. I had a '77 'bird and it was like that.

However, a modern version of the guitar (at least my J200) has the design on the underside to prevent the design from damage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get a "vintage" model guitar, you'll get vintage details; warts 'n all.

The pickguard & those fret markers are a main feature on that guitar..true.

And its bad enough that the pickguard is as thick as armour on there but you accept it because it makes the guitar look so nice..but if its the way the original 1960/1 was done, it's not really an example of a cost cutting cheapness of that detail.

A thing which may console you is there is a good possibility that this guitar is a better instrument than the production line originals from 1960/1.

I had a conversation about the fancy pickguards with someone at the plant in Bozeman. He showed me several different versions of the guards that Gibson tried. The more resistant the pattern on the guard, the less crisp the drawing seemed, IMO. So there are some trade-offs. If you make it the old (and beautiful) way, it's somewhat fragile and wears off, depending on how you play. This issue has been discussed ever since the inception of this board, back years ago when the board had different bulletin board software. They are frustrated at Gibson too because they've tried many things but the truth is it's hard to make it look the traditional way without the traditional fragility.

Some have tried putting a few coats of clear laquer over the guard.

I think the traditional way is perfect, it looks great, feels great and it comes with that inevitability that it'll fade/wear a little... the newer ones with the design underneath the guard look a bit cheaper (just my opinion).

I can see that some people might want to preserve the design, but I'd go for the old way every time......

I think the traditional way is perfect, it looks great, feels great and it comes with that inevitability that it'll fade/wear a little... the newer ones with the design underneath the guard look a bit cheaper (just my opinion).

I can see that some people might want to preserve the design, but I'd go for the old way every time......

yeah , like a comfy leather armchair or a pair of levis

I quite enjoy the feel of the engraved design on my HB TV on my pinky as I strum away and so on. I sort of accept that it will probably fade over time, but so far after two months and heavy playing its all intact.

Yeah this topic keeps coming up....

I actually like the design on my HB TV wearing away.. I have even made the process quicker in places but using a needle to get some of the paint out

sounds crazy..but it sort of mellows the brightness of the design.... something Eminor 7 was also doing when he painted his a slightly mellower yellow.. I beleive

I like the original guard..and how its made.. I prefer the look to the new one.. tho I havent had much experience with how it "feels "

FYI iwalktheline..

Hogeye posted a while back on how the folks at the plant actually paint the design into the engraving...it really doesnt sound too difficult... the post itself stated it is very easy to do... so if you want your nice colours back..just have a look at the post.

BTW

anyone who owns these guards and state the design is Not wearing off.....

You are not playing them Nearly as much or as Hard as you should...[flapper] hahah jk [thumbup]

I absolutely agree with those who rate the engraved over the embedded. Pardon Standard owners, but it's almost like real opposite artificial. The engraved has a very strong presence and makes you feel in direct contact with Hartford Snyders classic piece of pop-art – not least your fingers sense it with great appetite.

And yes Del Nilp, I added a few cream-coloured lines here and there to diminish the difference between the sharp zinc white and the curry light yellow. 6 places to be precise and it does fine. Easier said than done though. Some lines/grooves are broader than others and though I learned thin-line-painting from working with model-airplane cockpits as a youngster, it would take a pro to do the whole thing* – which hopefully won't be needed.

The beak of the bird is, if not fading, then turning greyish on mine, but I have decided to let time'n'playing take its toll. In the big pictures it will make this Hummingbird cooler and appear even more real.

Still I see the dilemma of the iwalktheline. Two months is nothing compared to the time you'ld wanna enjoy the wildlife scenario. Are you an extraordinary fiery strummer. . . .

* there is something about the decorators painting it all and then wiping or sanding. . . . .

try not to touch the design when you play !!! .

I do that with my Sj 200 and it has remained almost whole except for a very small part of 1 flower

JC

I know I place my little finger on the 'Bird pickguard, and if my PG were painted, (most of it is inlayed), it could wear off some...... and I can't be concerned with where my finger is, when I'm playing.

I have noticed that I place my finger in the exact same spot on my Dove, and there isn't a pickguard there!

Imho, a plain tortoise pickguard is more attractive.

The ultimate solution: Take all that birdy stuff off!

Whoops, , , hold on tight, might be in trouble here. . . .

But yes - a plain tortoise 3 point guard is major.

iwalktheline

If you REALLY want to preserve the design... why not get some of the clear pickgaurd material..as seen on frets.com website trace the HB guard on it and place over the top...

If you look at that site and how he places a guard on a plain blonde Martin or similar..and states it is practically invisible if applied correctly...then this to me is the obvious solution....which I have posted previously.

With the engraving being so fine I don't think it would cause too much of a problem with gaps ect...maybe have to change it once in a while...

just an idea

Another problem, if I remember right, is the original paints were very resistant but had some chemicals which are no longer allowed. Perhaps Hogeye can clarify.

We are asking these decorative pickguards to perform two contradictory functions:

1) sacrifice themselves in order to protect the finish and spruce underneath

2) Portray a pristine drawing

Sort of a 'have your pickguard and beat it too'. Now people are even proposing a clear guard to guard the guard! (and if that clear guard gets foggy, papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring)

Another problem, if I remember right, is the original paints were very resistant but had some chemicals which are no longer allowed. Perhaps Hogeye can clarify.

Hmmmm... interesting. That would explain a lot to me personally. I seem to see 60's and 70's Birds with good design intact... don't know if this is generally the case? The design on my 2011 HB TV started wearing off almost straight away.. I tend to use the guard as a rhythm tool when i play.

I'm sure Gibson must have tried other paints..... and I'm sure there must be a way of making the design more permanent... but it no doubt comes down to cost...

but like I say I like the worn in look so

Something absurd and wrong about a guarded guard.

Gibson ! - Return to the strong over-toxic paint. Make the decorators wear updated masks.

Owners ! - Meanwhile bask that Bird as it was meant for. Be a real meat'n'blood Hummingbird player.

Btw. - have you checked this old one. Almost wood-like and in very good shape. Nice, , , , , but no cheap picnic.

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_3432wt_1270

I get what some of you are saying about not putting too much thought into the design coming off but, its part of the allure to me. It's what kinda brought me too the guitar. Yes, I want the guitar to sound good, and it does but I also want what brought me to the guitar to stay intact. If you dont like the design thats 100% fine but, I enjoy it and would like it to stay apart of the guitar for more that 2 months without fading away. Maybe after a few years yes but 2 months....

I do like the engraved one that is on there now but, when I went through that whole crazy process in November of last year which lasted until mid january I was sent the anti scratch guard. To be honest it didnt bother me that it wasnt as flashy or traditional looking as ones from the past. I just liked the fact the I could strum away and not have to worry about it peeling off. It still looked great in my eyes and I had no worries of it fading.

I get what some of you are saying about not putting too much thought into the design coming off but, its part of the allure to me. It's what kinda brought me too the guitar. Yes, I want the guitar to sound good, and it does but I also want what brought me to the guitar to stay intact. If you dont like the design thats 100% fine but, I enjoy it and would like it to stay apart of the guitar for more that 2 months without fading away. Maybe after a few years yes but 2 months....

I do like the engraved one that is on there now but, when I went through that whole crazy process in November of last year which lasted until mid january I was sent the anti scratch guard. To be honest it didnt bother me that it wasnt as flashy or traditional looking as ones from the past. I just liked the fact the I could strum away and not have to worry about it peeling off. It still looked great in my eyes and I had no worries of it fading.

So are you saying they sent you a free replacement of the enclosed design type?

Sorry, confused here. You had a '96 you got rid of for a cherry burst two months ago and the paint is wearing off? Where does the "enclosed" guard you got for free fit into this? I've got two engraved pick guards (2004 SJ200 & a 2010 H'Bird TV). Both are not enclosed. They have approximately 5% paint loss. How much have you lost? Trying to understand.

free?? no way, you have to pay a small fortune for a gibson pick guard.

People who buy new and complain to Bozeman have been getting one [1] replacement for free under warranty. (I'm not sure whether you automatically get one of the "Let's see you wear this off!" Standard guards, or if you have the option of getting another heat-stamped or engraved one to match what you had to start with, Jeremy Morton would be the guy to check with about this stuff if you're having a problem.) It's not really a defect in materials or workmanship, so it's not actually covered by the warranty, but they want people to be happy.

Buy a used guitar and then abuse its pristine 14-year-old pickguard with your paint-eating fingers and I guess you're on your own.

-- Bob R

Archived