Gibson Brands Forums

What rock players use a hollow- or semi-hollow?

heymisterk

Got love the sound of Alex in the early days. Neil goes nuts too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF7U8F2aars&feature=related

Neil's thinking "I need more drums...."

Back then, Alex's sound was straight rock n' roll! 335, Marshall MK II, and some pedals (usually a Cry Baby, Morley volume pedal, Fuzz Face, Maestro PS-1A Phase Shifter, and a couple of Echoplex units).

It remained so up through All The World's A Stage. Around A Farewell To Kings, it started to manifest into what most consider the classic Lifeson tone: among other things, a Hiwatt, Boss CE-1, and his white 355.

Love his early tones.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got love the sound of Alex in the early days. Neil goes nuts too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF7U8F2aars&feature=related

'76/'77 I was putting together a band with friends, we did a bunch of Rush. Anthem was one of the most fun songs to play ever with that group (we had a very "Piert-like" drummer, awesome, and our Singer sounded good with the Geddy Lee parts). My personal 3 favorite songs to play with that bunch were Anthem, Bastille Day and Working Man. Honorable mention to Finding My Way, In The Mood and Need Some Love. Great times...

'76/'77 I was putting together a band with friends, we did a bunch of Rush. Anthem was one of the most fun songs to play ever with that group (we had a very "Piert-like" drummer, awesome, and our Singer sounded good with the Geddy Lee parts). My personal 3 favorite songs to play with that bunch were Anthem, Bastille Day and Working Man. Honorable mention to Finding My Way, In The Mood and Need Some Love. Great times...

I would kill to be in a band like that.

Around here, back in those days, you were stuck with "China Grove" and "La Grange"....

Another great one is "What You're Doing". Very Zeppelin-esque (as is the rest of the first album).

Fly By Night and Caress Of Steel boast some of my favorite Rush tunes, like "Best I Can", "Beneath, Between, Behind", "Making Memories", "In The End", "The Necromancer", and even the goofy "I Think I'm Going Bald"!

And lets not forget their first great "Rush moment", "By-tor And The Snow Dog!"

But I actually prefer the live versions of those songs from All The World's A Stage over the studio versions. (with the exception of a few, such as "Working Man", and those great songs they never played live.) The live versions of "Bytor" and "What You're Doing" kick a$ like it's goin' outta style!

I would kill to be in a band like that.

Around here, back in those days, you were stuck with "China Grove" and "La Grange"

Another great one is "What You're Doing". Very Zeppelin-esque (as is the rest of the first album).

I played both of those, think we'd put them on our set list but hadn't worked them up yet. I'd been playing them both since '73 or '74 though (we had some Frampton from Comes Alive too, as did most everyone else-and there was some Kiss, but we were just starting to work those up when it all fell apart).

I was heavily into Rush at the time, and my buddies (bass player and singer) loved it because it was very different for them. They were coming off a few gigs left (high school dances around the State mostly) where their old band was breaking up, as the guitarists, keyboard player and drummer were all headed off to various colleges.

Didn't last though, had a bunch of friends die, Drummer had Girlfriend issues and became unreliable, then I got offered a job that cemented my career path away from music (Dad's doing). Oh, we played What You're Doing to. Love the chromatic descending and ascending licks, simplicity, but pure brilliance. Rush sort of lost me when they moved beyond this early stuff (though I jut DVR'd a live show of theirs from VH1 shot in I think 2011). Don't really see the Zepplin resemblance myself, but their first album was my favorite, along with a half dozen rockers from later albums I've named here (which all fit that mold really).

Dave Edmunds... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

And Billy Bremner (his co-guitarist in Rockpile) also played one quite often.

As it happens "Repeat When Necessary" was one of the last CDs I bought. My 'Compact Cassette' of it was pretty much worn out long ago...

Great band. Great album.

P.

My personal 3 favorite songs to play with that bunch were Anthem, Bastille Day and Working Man. Honorable mention to Finding My Way, In The Mood and Need Some Love. Great times...

Fun stuff. Pretty much my favorite Rush tunes right there. Except you gotta add Best I Can. [thumbup]

While I loved this song a lot as a kid, I have to say I loved it a lot more after reading the novel on which it was based. It's 100 pages worth reading if anyone has not done so. [thumbup]

I love that whole album (Fly By Night). That song is one of their greatest ever IMHO, and it's a shame they don't play it anymore.

That's 3 musicians playing their a$$es off. Nothing beats a great power trio IMHO!

And what blows me away is Geddy's bass playing during Alex's solo. He knows how to fill up the space.

Did you also read The Fountainhead? That's what Caress Of Steel (or at least "The Necromancer" and "The Fountain Of Lamneth") was based upon.

Did you also read The Fountainhead?

Yes. Twice.

That's what Caress Of Steel (or at least "The Necromancer" and "The Fountain Of Lamneth") was based upon.

Hmmmmmm.... vaguely perhaps. More direct is the whole side of 2112 that is nearly verbatim the Anthem plot line. While the song Anthem was inspired obviously by the novel, 2112 is an actual retelling of its plot - substituting a guitar for the light bulb of course and turning the council of "scientists" into priests of the Temples of Syrinx.

I agree with you Dennis.

I've seen his show a couple of times.

We were flirting with a couple of his "girls" back stage one night.

Started playing a game of crayons. You know the one, you have to name a crayon color.

Well I don't know how it happened but it ended up Issak worked it into the show.

I agree with you Dennis.

I've seen his show a couple of times.

We were flirting with a couple of his "girls" back stage one night.

Started playing a game of crayons. You know the one, you have to name a crayon color.

Well I don't know how it happened but it ended up Issak worked it into the show.

I've seen him probably 6-8 times over the past 15 years or so, starting as an opening act for (get this) Tina Turner at the Greek. Have also seen him at the Grove in Anaheim and Pacific Amphiteater. He puts on a real fun show with a good mix of old and new stuff. And ya gotta love the "mirror suit" [tongue]

Archived