Gibson Brands Forums

Do you have any phobias?

Rabs

Nothing springs to mind but as regards spiders...

I actually quite like the things. I've never been bothered by them much ever since I was a kid but recently two things have modified my opinions slightly.

Firstly I was helping a small, red spider escape from the house of my aunt (my wife and daughter are petrified of the things and I don't like to kill unneccessarily) and the little bugger bit me! Boy, did it hurt (and itch!). This was in France. I've no idea what species it was but it was only about 1cm across.

Then, after returning to Blighty, I was getting my bicycle out of the shed and this BIG HAIRY MONSTER ran towards my hand. Boy, did I get a fright! I've never seen a spider like this in the UK outside of a zoo....

So not real arachnophobia but I'm going to start to make exceptions!

P.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually quite like the things. I've never been bothered by them much ever since I was a kid but recently two things have modified my opinions slightly.

Firstly I was helping a small, red spider escape from the house of my aunt (my wife and daughter are petrified of the things and I don't like to kill unneccessarily) and the little bugger bit me! Boy, did it hurt (and itch!). This was in France. I've no idea what species it was but it was only about 1cm across.

Then, after returning to Blighty, I was getting my bicycle out of the shed and this BIG HAIRY MONSTER ran towards my hand. Boy, did I get a fright! I've never seen a spider like this in the UK outside of a zoo....

P.

Yup.. they are getting darn big over here.. which for me is an issue lol..

Time to move to Antartica think :P :)

Guest Farnsbarns

P.

Could it have been one of these blighters...

spider3.jpg

There's loads of these...

argiope23.jpg

On Lloyd Park. Like a giant yellow orb web. This has a nasty painful but not dangerous bite.

Could it have been one of these blighters...

spider3.jpg

No, Farns.

The 'shed' spider was near-black in colour, had a slightly hairy body and quite hairy legs (like a Tarantula which had visited the barbers the previous week). Legs shorter in comparison to body length as well. It was probably about 75mm / 2 1/2 inches 'toe-to-toe'.

That yellow one looks worrying, too.........

P.

No, Farns.

The 'shed' spider was near-black in colour, had a slightly hairy body and quite hairy legs (like a Tarantula which had visited the barbers the previous week). Legs shorter in comparison to body length as well. It was probably about 75mm / 2 1/2 inches 'toe-to-toe'.

P.

Ok people your freaking me out.. even pictres of the bastards make me cringe.....

You telling me these are UK spiders??? :o

Im now glad I dont live in the countryside.. If something like that jumped out at me id have a heart attack

I've had a lot of problems over the last few years which have developed into panic attacks and anxiety.

I can't go into large stores now because of crowds. I start to sweat and feel ill. It sounds stupid but it's true. I can't work for more than a few hours per day either as anxiety builds up and I have to get home. I suppose a phobia is similar, so I have sympathy for most of them. I may even go bankrupt because of it. The stress of life has taken its toll on me. I've even stopped going to see bands.

Always had a phobia of this particular guy:

great-white-shark-2.jpg

...more so than any other species of shark.

My other phobio is heights:

The-Pulpit-Rock-III.jpg

....anything like that freaks me out.

I don't know about you guys but I love watching documentaries and TV shows about my phobias. Anything Great White related I will watch and then things like Everest expeditions fascinate me, as well as watching stunts like the guy in the Spiderman suit scaling skyscrapers without a safety rope.

Is that just a little bit sick?

I was playing acoustic out on my back porch today, semi outside.

And a squirrel sat on a branch and pooped!

Scared the bejeezus out of me!!!

Squirrels are dangerous.

Then, he or she hopped up on the steps and reminded me that the GEICO gecko is a fraud.

And is really from Boston.

HUGE dissapoint, HUGE!!!

Guest Farnsbarns

No, Farns.

P.

Hmmm, I would guess you had a fairly rare encounter with a jumping spider although those measurements would be a very large one . A shed isn't prime location for them but they are most often found on the outside walls of houses but I suppose the inside wall of a shed is similar and nearly all spiders seek out a bit of warmth towards the end of summer, that's why we find them in our houses at this time of year.

I say jumping spider because you say it ran towards you. Jumping spiders are known for bravely approaching humans, this behaviour is described by arachnophiles as "friendly". I call this propaganda, they are aggressive and the spider-huggers know it really :P .

If, however, it was one of these...

l22388.jpg

Keep your kids out of the shed and call rentokill, false widows have a nasty bite and you can lose a limb in a very bad case.

I like spiders in that I find them fascinating and interesting but I am uneasy with large ones in the house. I don't have a reaction like Rabs but I do "get rid" of them ;)

Our current house is the most spider infested I've ever lived in to the point that we get something I consider worse in the house 2-3 times each summer; devils coach horses, they live exclusively on spiders...

devils_coach_horse_180_tcm9-60302.jpg

That posture, which makes them look like scorpions, is a warning, stay close and you'll get squirted with a very mild irritant. They get up to about 2-2.5 inches in length (at least that's as large as we have ever seen).

Rabs, if you find these less worrying than spiders I can send you some! [biggrin]

By the way, brace yourselves for most spider infested autumn for a very long time. Perfect egg laying conditions and wet warm summer has lead to a bumper year, they will start heading in to our houses over the next month as it cools.

Our current house is the most spider infested I've ever lived in to the point that we get something I consider worse in the house 2-3 times each summer; devils coach horses, they live exclusively on spiders...

devils_coach_horse_180_tcm9-60302.jpg

That posture, which makes them look like scorpions, is a warning, stay close and you'll get squirted with a very mild irritant. They get up to about 2-2.5 inches in length (at least that's as large as we have ever seen).

Rabs, if you find these less worrying than spiders I can send you some! [biggrin]

Haha no that doesnt freak me out I can look at that without cringing and half closing my eyes.. but I till wouldnt want to live with one :)

I have no issues with spiders of any kind and living in Arizona it's a good thing cause there's a ton of them some very poisonous, but this weekend one made me jump a bit not really a fear response but surprise I was painting in the cabin I just bought and I opened the storage shed to get another can of paint and there was a huge Tarantula sitting on the can. I actually thought it was a fake one because t=it's too hot in phoenix but up in the mountains there fine I guess. I reached down and picked up the can and the spider backed away dropping off the back of the can and then heading rather quickly between my legs and out the door. Like I said not really afraid of them but it did make me jump a bit when the fake five inch tarantula ran out between my legs. Luckily my wife wasn't the one to find it she might have freaked.

My wife is terrified of scorpions, nasty little buggers so I guess it's a logical fear are scorpions are bark scorpions and are fairly poisonous and give a nasty sting. Last year one fell from the ceiling in our bedroom landing on the bed about a foot away from my wife's she screamed bloody murder and jumped out of bed so fast I was shocked sadly it turned out to be fairly dangerous to me as I ended up with a pretty nasty black eye since my wife in her terror decided the proper thing to do was throw her I-phone at it like a baseball, sadly at almost exactly the same time I reached over to squash it with a sock I had grabbed to pick it up with before it got away. I had luckily grabbed the scorpion with the sock when the phone smacked me in the eye because if it had gotten away I would have spent most of the night hunting it before i got to sleep. that's probably why the wife decided to move although I'm sure the new house has scorpions too there everywhere here.

My wife is so afraid of them that when we go on walks every night she takes a UV flashlight so she can see them glowing and i kill all the one's she find's on a two mile walk every night of the year except in July and August when it's just too hot and humid. On average I kill at least two a night the most I ever got was 14 on one walk but it had rained so they left the grass and were all over the walls in the neighborhood.

The only real phobia I have is a strange one and doesn't impact my life at all. I'm fairly terrified of Hippo's after seeing one attack a man once on TV when I was a kid. I had nightmares for years couldn't even see pictures of hippo's without it creeping me out. Like I said it's a great phobia to have in Arizona because our hippo population is exactly three and they all live behind thick block walls in the local zoo.

I was playing acoustic out on my back porch today, semi outside.

And a squirrel sat on a branch and pooped!

Scared the bejeezus out of me!!!

Squirrels are dangerous.

Then, he or she hopped up on the steps and reminded me that the GEICO gecko is a fraud.

And is really from Boston.

HUGE dissapoint, HUGE!!!

[blink].... I almost bought a Gecko Les Paul once...

I used to be kind of scared of various biting bugs but when I moves south to Tennessee I got used to 'em. Same with snakes. We have a lot of black widows and you get used to them being around. They make a very black stain when you smush them, by the way. Even if you don't know what they look like, you'll know when you see one. One time I went to grab my fence post driver and there was one right on the handle (Scary music in background).

DSC_0014.jpg

I had open heart surgery and that was so scary that I don't get scared much any more. [thumbup]

I don't like snake's, shot's (needles), used to fear the dentist but not any more, that went away with being afraid of the dark when I was a kid.

I some times can be shy around girls I first meet and have strong feelings for, being in a room with a lot of people I don't know can make me some-what reserved/quiet but not so bad really. A creative right brain type full of weirdness. I'm not certifiable but have my crazy moment's of fear.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived