Gibson Brands Forums

Picks

Toolman

I've been fooling with different brands and materials for awhile. My fav, was the dunlop Jazz pick. I decided to try a set of Tusq picks made by Graph tech. After the first try I could tell I was going to like them. Now, after using them for two months, all my guitar cases now have a set of these Tusq picks in them of the 1.00 thickness. Great control, no quaky tone. Even though it's bigger than the jazz size,although it's the same size as your generic Fender pick, I can still grab it in my knuckles for finger snapping notes. I haven't tried Carbon fiber yet (even though a friend makes them) but I think I've landed on my fovorite for now.

Any thoughts?

When I started almost ten years ago, I've been using these:

http://anniespicks.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/5/7/4857075/1067922.jpg

Depending on the genre, sometimes I switch to mediums if I need more bite, but I've tried other picks and always come back to these. They're tiny - less than half of your thumb, but I like them that way.

yNAfz.jpg

Wdqym.jpg

Contents of my pick box.

Earplugs, of course.

Brush, I use it to clean out my bridge pieces after I take the strings off. (Dust buildup)

Picks, 6 or 7 Dunlop .46s, 4 Tortex .50s, 2 Dunlop .60s (one of which was the first pick I ever had, used it for roughly a year and a half. (on and off for the half) ) 1 generic .61 from a music shop somewhere far (given to me at my first jam session, guy who gave it to me has since gone missing) 1 generic .71 from an eBay store, 1 Tortex .88, and I'm not sure about the triangle pick. In all honesty, it feels between a .73 and a .88.

I've been trying to find a pick that is nice medium between my hamhanded picking and what my guitars will take before going out of tune. One style I keep coming back to are Tortex The Wedge picks. Fingers crossed, I have been using this gauge for the past four months and have been very happy.

PK424P-60.jpg

Because of my indecisiveness, I have three of four Altoids boxes filled with random picks in all types (nylon, celluloid, etc) and gauges.

When reading the accoustic forum and about some of these "tortiose" picks, and other 'legal' and expensive ones, I became curious as to the SOUND of different picks.

I decided to do a poor mans version, and when and bought a collection of every-day picks in different thicknesses and types, and try paying attention to the sound.

I was surprised that a lot of the time, the thicker picks actually had a brighter sound, or more of an edge.

I don't really use picks, I use my nail. But, in trying picks and using them sometimes, I was surprised that the thicker nylon ones sounded more percussive and brighter than the old standard Fender ones medium or Heavy.

My 2 favorites at this point, is the purple Dunlop Tortex, and the Fender Extra Heavy.

The silver Herco flex 75's... guess they're made by Dunlop now. It's funny, I had a few I bought AGES ago and hated them until I picked one up about 6 month ago... since then it's been my go to for electric. Still love the orange and yellow tortex for acoustic... orange for rhythm, yellow for lead work.

There's a bunch I've sworn by over the years... my tastes change every so often or I just stumble on something "new" that I like the feel of.

I don't really use picks, I use my nail.

I'm not alone? I play with a pick 10% of the time. Nevery on nylon, if I have to hit individual strings I just screw up if I use a pick, but when I do powerchords (punk or basic folc or pop) I use them. I have screwed up my nails doing this, but I can't aim with picks. [blush]

Nuttin fancy.

electric - red tortex

acoustic - orange or green tortex...

No pick available?

I have cut bread tags into pick shapes on numerous occasions.

They work great.

Otherwise,, I'm a pick Sl^t and not to particular.

I'm not alone? I play with a pick 10% of the time. Nevery on nylon, if I have to hit individual strings I just screw up if I use a pick, but when I do powerchords (punk or basic folc or pop) I use them. I have screwed up my nails doing this, but I can't aim with picks. [blush]

Hey Izzy,, I had a friend who played classical so he used his fingernails all the time.

When they broke, he would cut ping pong balls into shapes and crazy glue them on his nails.

Maybe not the look you're going for but high on the utilitarian scale ;)

hehe,, I know,, I can be an *** sometime.. lol

Archived