Gibson Brands Forums

Finger Picks

RichG

I am fairly new to the forum but have been playing since the 60's. Originally I did not use finger picks but switched to using them all the time not long after. I notice many of the videos that are posted show players not using them. I use a plastic thumb pick and two metal finger picks.

What's your opinion?

Rich

Ive only been fingerpicking for about 5 months, so Im still learning the ropes around the basics.

But even after that time my gut feel is that I really like my fingers to be feeling the strings, along with the nail for added bite.

When Im ready Ill probably give a thumb pick ago, but I have a feeling Im unlikely to go in that direction as I really the feel of my thumb gliding over the bass strings.

I have been using a thumb pick now for about two weeks

i had tried before..but couldn't get used to it... and gave up after probably a few minutes..[crying]

I wanted to do it though..so spent about an hour really trying..then it started to feel ok... I'm still getting used to it..but I won't go back now .. I am really enjoying the other aspect it is giving to my playing [thumbup]

Bare finger tends to be a more intimate sound (Ry Cooder), although you can really snap 'em (Rory Block). Picks are more defined attack (Jorma, following from Gary Davis). No rules. Go for the sound. I tend to go for the picks. Use 'em live (dynamics) , so practice with 'em. Plus, now messing with lap steel.

I keep trying a thumb pick for the dynamic it offers but I still can not find a TP that is comfortable they all seem to be very tight did I say I have a "fat" thumb still searching for that "big and tall" pick... [unsure]

I do like the sound without picks, but I've always done a lot of playing at jams and it's hard to be heard without the picks. I find after all this time when I try to play without them I make more mistakes. I have one guitar that I can plug in. I use that when our little group plays out once in a while. Even then I use the picks on tunes that I have a finger picked part.

Rich

I keep trying a thumb pick for the dynamic it offers but I still can not find a TP that is comfortable they all seem to be very tight did I say I have a "fat" thumb still searching for that "big and tall" pick... [unsure]

Been there myself... in short, there's no pick out there that's instantly comfortable, it's a labour of love initially and it does feel tight and uncomfortable, but a bit of persistence pays off. It can take a wee while to get there though. Del is probably over the first hurdle depending on how many hours he's put in with it already, as he's been at it a couple of weeks but he won't confirm though as he doesn't talk to me anymore eusa_naughty.gif (haw haw eusa_clap.gif )

My guess is it's still uncomfortable for him, but not as much as it was 2 or even 1 week ago... what I found worked on some thumbpicks was to whack them into some very warm water for a few minutes, then put them on the thumb, it should loosen it off a little, but the last thing you want is one that's too loose, they're useless, it has to be a snug fit to feel right. Persist though, after a while it's not sore anymore... you can ramp it up by trying to use one for a few hours at a time.

An important issue for all fingerstylists...

Personal preference is for fingers/nails at all times...facilitated by the excellent electro-acoustics now available

Recently though I have needed to start using a thumb pick for Leadbelly 12 string style

Sounded dreadful initially... [biggrin]...but getting better with daily practice...

Gives a nice gritty attack and extra volume

But a problem is emerging with 'white thumb' due to lack of blood circulation

A thumbpick needs to be tight for stability

The other option is 'pick'n fingers'...

V

:-({|=

Fingerpicks are great when you get that solo job you wanted then overdo it and get a blister after the first or second tune! Save your skin for the next 4 hours.

I don't use a thumb pick much at home because it is really too loud in my little music room - I make an effort regularly to go in a larger room to get some 'thumbpick practice' - have to really keep at it. It is weird how after a while you get used to picks/no picks and just swap between and your mind is ready! A bit like swapping guitars with different nut widths - your hands do the adjusting for your head! Weird, but we just take it and go with it.

A thumbpick playing on my metal Dobro is enough to lift a roof. Who needs electricity?

BluesKing777.

Tried FPs on guitar and 5String and could never get comfortable. As mentioned, either too tight or too loose creates problems. I also found that I was more likely to pick the right string since I know the exact length of my fingers and am less familiar with exactly where the tip of the FP is.

Also, bare fingers can rest more easily on the strings for 'orientation'. Finally, it would give me palpitations if I were trying to rest the FP on my H'bird pickguard and scraping off the paint!

I have been playing with my fingers (both acoustic and electric guitar) all my life but have never gotten the hang of picks. I would love to be able to play with a thumbpick or get into hybrid picking though. I guess I just need to muster up the self sicipline to learn.

I have been playing with my fingers (both acoustic and electric guitar) all my life but have never gotten the hang of picks. I would love to be able to play with a thumbpick or get into hybrid picking though. I guess I just need to muster up the self sicipline to learn.

It's a frustrating nightmare that leaves you feeling like you're almost starting again from scratch... but the sheer thrill of the first time you get a piece spot on, makes the pain, frustration, swearing and sweat worth the while.

First...

Hot water will offer an opportunity to expand a plastic thumb pick. Just be careful not to burn yourself.

I started on nylon strings, bare fingers. Then got a banjo and played a bit of old-style autoharp. Sharp clear thumb pick and two metal fingerpicks. Then got a 12-string and added a third fingerpick.

Now... fingerpicks and thumbpick on banjo, 12 or if playing heavier strings and a more proper approach to the Carter Family scratch. If I got another autoharp, thumb and three fingers steel picks. Almost all the rest of the time, electric or (AE) acoustic, bare fingers and thumb although once in a wild while I'll grab a flatpick for an oldtime style country jam.

I know a lotta guys like a thumb pick and bare fingers, but I never went there. It's a different hand angle. Not a lot, but enuf.

In the old days when I started roughly 50 years ago, a lot of us used the thumb and fingerpicks on 6-strings too, but remember how bad PAs were if you even had one. Usually as I recall the pickin' was a bit less complex than what it seems a lotta folks aim for nowadays, too. Excluding the banjo, autoharp, 12 or a heavy-strung strummer for Carter Family type stuff, ain't likely you'll see me with picks.

m

Del is probably over the first hurdle depending on how many hours he's put in with it already, as he's been at it a couple of weeks but he won't confirm though as he doesn't talk to me anymore eusa_naughty.gif (haw haw eusa_clap.gif )

My guess is it's still uncomfortable for him, but not as much as it was 2 or even 1 week ago...

HUH [confused]

you continue to confound me PM.. anyway

Yes you are right..I'm over the first hurdle. It really only took an evening of forcing my self to play with the thumb pick before it started feeling ok..a few hours.

I now over 30 hours playing with it....and I really like it.. Did feel really tight the first week...then feeling bit more comfortable..obviously the pick will expand a little..but still good and tight.

I filed this one down also.. to bring the edge closer to my thumb. I will probably not need to with my next pick.

i have never really wanted to use a TP before... but the Hummingbird requires the extra bite on the bass I think... I would recommend people to persevere if thats the sound/style they are after..it really doesn't take long..if your a finger picker already of course.

JM

those Herco picks sound interesting..as i strum with mine too...I will be searching out differnt types from now on anyways

( a TP also forces you to really concentrate on that all important thumb rythym again ..which is something else I am getting from it )

I searched the whole internet for a video of Bob Brozman playing a triplet exercise with his right hand fingerpicks - can't find the video anywhere.

I have the dvds, and it is worth every cent to get all of the BB dvds!

He does these fast triplets with the picks that would be pretty impossible with bare fingers...a small but scary taste in this video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS5-1-484Ok

BluesKing777.

I only play with fingerpicks and a thumbpick. Three metal Dunlop fingerpicks (at least .20 or more grade)and a clear Dunlop thumbpick. I play steel string guitar as well as square neck dobro, 5 string banjo, and classical guitar with them. Played with a thumbpick and fingerpicks I was 9 years old...many many moons ago. Developed my playing style with them.

Every player has to find what works for them. I've had the conversation of for or against thumb and fingerpicks and its always the same. Its up to each individual player.

I will say that since I've played so long with a thumb and fingerpicks, my playing ability significantly decreases without them. I'm used to the angle they put my right hand to the strings. Without 'em, I miss a lot of notes. But, its all habit in what each player gets used to.

BTW, I also do a bluegrass flat pickin' thing with my thumb pick and index finger fingerpick held against the thumbpick...in addition to fingerpickin'. Sometimes at time I also do a brush stroke with my fourth finger pick instead of using my thumb. But, generally, I strum with my thumbpick with my index finger fingerpick held against it...like a flat pick strum.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I searched the whole internet for a video of Bob Brozman playing a triplet exercise with his right hand fingerpicks - can't find the video anywhere.

BluesKing777.

Bob Brozman, what a player, seems a bit of a nutter too ..and looks like he's just been released from a police line-up. Tip top!

Bob Brozman, what a player, seems a bit of a nutter too ..and looks like he's just been released from a police line-up. Tip top!

Possibly the Devil's Brother, you think, PM?

For the others that are interested, here is another of his video segments from his first Bottleneck dvd lessons. About halfway through, he demos some fingerpick trix:

BluesKing777.

I have the dvds, and it is worth every cent to get all of the BB dvds!

He does these fast triplets with the picks that would be pretty impossible with bare fingers...a small but scary taste in this video for you:

BluesKing777.

Yes, I also marvel at what the Broz does with fingerpicks. It's hard to get that sort of speed without them (or with them), but classical players manage with just the fingers and maybe nails. Not triplets here, but Bream might just beat Broz to the gold (cut to 2.56 for the fast stuff):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbW4rYYKxhg

The other advantage that BB milks from his fingerpicks is added percussiveness, but he's already boosted by his choice of instrument on that front. It's impressive how much snap you can get without picks nonetheless. It's Josh White week in Mojoland. Despite the obvious differences, I feel the spirit of the JW in BB's playing. Cop the percussive attack here (though apparently he had glue-on fake nails because his own were flaky):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclyijxoTsk

Nice vids, MR! I have seen the Stefan vids.

I have strayed from my original point about Thumb and Fingerpicks because I couldn't really get the whole Bob B fingerpicking lesson video on the Tube that I have at home. The Skint and the Skinflint will have to buy his dvd's to get the full torture! But he does break the picks thing down better and gives 90 - 120 years worth of exercises for the right hand only by muting the left and strings and concentrating on just the right hand picks, which is the original point I was trying to make with the first video... He gives you lots of things to practice, which all helps! (I never said I could do those fast triplets he does - I can't! But I am halfway there by doing his exercises and have not found many dvds for this right hand as good as his stuff.....

BluesKing777.

Nice vids, MR! I have seen the Stefan vids.

I have strayed from my original point about Thumb and Fingerpicks because I couldn't really get the whole Bob B fingerpicking lesson video on the Tube that I have at home. The Skint and the Skinflint will have to buy his dvd's to get the full torture! But he does break the picks thing down better and gives 90 - 120 years worth of exercises for the right hand only by muting the left and strings and concentrating on just the right hand picks, which is the original point I was trying to make with the first video... He gives you lots of things to practice, which all helps! (I never said I could do those fast triplets he does - I can't! But I am halfway there by doing his exercises and have not found many dvds for this right hand as good as his stuff.....

BluesKing777.

I guess I should give fingerpicks a go. I misspent my youth learning bits of Villa-Lobos alongside Chuck Berry, so I can do straightforward thumb/fingers or flatpicks, but just can't get on with my Dunlop thumbpick (currently AWOL). I do sometimes wonder whether adding fingerpicks might alter the angle just enough to make the transition from classical position to prosthetics easier. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to sound like BB - I'd love to be able to do that, but I also like being in awe of his style. Every few months I splurge on his videos for National. He's a great mix of educator and entertainer. And he has a very cool repertoire, it seems.

Enjoying JW at present, because he manages to mix raw with really top technique. The early blues cuts are technically way past contemporary delta stuff (Skip James and some Robert Johnson aside), but they still have a hard edge. Later, the guy comes on like Nat King Cole, but still without losing the edge. When he's using thumb and all three fingers, his hand position is exemplary in an almost classical way - Segovia might even have been impressed. No pinkie anchoring at all. But then the guy will drop down to one or two fingers, and the pinkie is not averse to hovering near the scratchguard. Or he'll play with his thumb and rest the whole right hand on the guard. There's one clip from 'The Walking Hills' where he plays the same pattern in terms of strings in two totally different ways: first with thumb and three fingers, no anchoring, just perfect poise; then with just the thumb, and his hand dropped right down. All for tonal variation. Protean, just like BB. Makes me fancy a brazilian Martin for the first time ever.

Archived