Gibson Brands Forums

Dave Brubeck

rct

has left the building. As much as I poke at jazz players, it is only in fun, I've been a jazz piano "player". Good stuff from him, we were playing that stuff in high school jazz band and I was the piano player. He was for sure one of the greats.

rct

has left the building. As much as I poke at jazz players, it is only in fun, I've been a jazz piano "player". Good stuff from him, we were playing that stuff in high school jazz band and I was the piano player. He was for sure one of the greats.

rct

oh man. :( RIP Dave.

Just heard the sad news.

RIP.

I remember trying, in my naiivety, to get 'Take Five' nailed when I had been playing guitar for less than a year.......

[blush]

Good lesson learned, though!

Away to listen to some D.B. now.

P.

When I was in high school, (perhaps junior high?) we preceded the quartet on a M.D. telethon. We were a little rock cover band who were still cutting our musical baby teeth. Dave and Paul were so kind and encouraging to us. Not only were they great musicians, they seemed to be very nice people.

Blue Rondo ala Turk is one of my favorites. The bridge on Take 5 is a monster to play on the alto. It's one of those songs that no matter how well I learn to play it, if I haven't played it in a year and try to bring it out, I stumble on the bridge.

I saw Dave a few years ago at a jazz fest, he was still a great player then.

The music in heaven will be swinging tonight.

Thanks Dave for all the great music you have given us.

Notes

I confess that I've never heard "Take Five" before or the album it was in. I didn't even really know who Dave Brubeck was as I heard the name maybe once in my life, linked with Stan Getz. Also, I was in high school jazz band but never really played any of his songs as they were probably too advanced for us.

Archived