Gibson Brands Forums

When does someone become a player?

Rabs

Thank you Milod!

For sure guitar brings it's challenges to women it may not necessarily bring to men. Hand and finger streanth for one. It's taken me a long time to gain enough strength to play barre chords on the acoustic. Acoustic being my first love it was a milestone for me. Totally opening new doors to much loved songs I wanted to play on it. Milod, I'd love to know how your grandmother had smooth hands mine are looking more like a construction worker hands than a ladies, but well worth it!

Kaiser Bill said it well "In my opinion owning a guitar does not make you a player anymore than owning a horse makes you a jockey or a cowboy. To me a "player" is someone that can navigate the instrument and a song tastefully."

My brother in law has a guitar and plays around with arpeggios but cant play a single song. I don't consider him a guitar player. I consider he fiddles with guitar is about all.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't somebody a guitar player as soons as they buy a guitar irrespective of level?

This is the rub. NO. Plain and simple. The internet proves this every time some person confesses they just dropped two grand on a Les Paul and want to know if is a good one. I got some great knives for Christmas. I'm getting an AllClad in the spring. I cook, Mrs oooks, we love to cook. We are not chefs by any stretch, not at all, and won't ever be. I would have to take serious time away from my nine guitars and 5 amps and three keys and dozen mics and recording junk to become a chef. But I cook.

Mr. FirstMeasure is very right, as unpopular as his opinion would appear to be.

If the ad in the paper(they still put ads in the paper, right?) is for a guitar player, and myself and a guy that can play, wrong, the opening to Smoke On The Water, the two of us go and try for the gig, I'm pretty much betting all the stuff above that no matter what the genre, I will get the gig. The perception of the peoples that are hiring the guitar player is what matters, not our perceptions of ourselves in whaever vacuum we choose to live in. It seems that Mr. FirstMeasure and many others do not live in any sort of vacuum and they, we go out there or have gone out there and participated in things that require a Guitar Player. If you have not put yourself in the position to be a guitar player you can certainly call yourself anything you want and you would be right, so long as you don't ever objectively test it.

To make it fair, I would not ever answer an ad for a Bass Player. I have a yankee Jazz(man that thing is schmokin hot) and a yankee P. I do all the bass on all of my recordings. But I am the first to tell anyone I am not a bass player, and I am the first to thank a good bass player in any group situtation, because it really is not easy to Be a Bass Player.

Same for keys, I only know enough to get me through this song right here, and I'll practice enough to get me through the next song I write, but I'll never Be a keys player.

It is one thing to consider oneself a guitar player, most that do have something to support it, bands, records, something. Many many people play the guitar, but that is the same as driving a car, none of us would win a race even in the fastest car, because the drivers would win.

I don't think Mr. FirstMeasure is saying it like it's a bad thing, and neither am I.

rct

Sometime the sandbox just turns stupid.

Time to all take yer balls and go home.

It's a fricking word that is subject to interpretation.

Wow... kids these days.

We all interpret the world differently..

But isnt the whole point of forums like this to discuss? What things mean to us and how we see things.. Thats one of the ways how we learn, by sharing experiences and thoughts. And maybe, just occasionally try and see things from someone elses point of view.

As has been said before if you dont like a topic then move on and let us discuss as we want too. But then if we all agreed on everything with no opposing views it would be a pretty boring world :)

We all interpret the world differently..

But isnt the whole point of forums like this to discuss? What things mean to us and how we see things.. Thats one of the ways how we learn, by sharing experiences and thoughts. And maybe, just occasionally try and see things from someone elses point of view.

As has been said before if you dont like a topic then move on and let us discuss as we want too. But then if we all agreed on everything with no opposing views it would be a pretty boring world :)

That's all well and fine. But I don't see anyone here "learning".

All I see is a bunch of ego maniacal guitarist spewing their opinions of who is this or who is that.

Nothing constructive here.

reminds me of religious debates. And how wars start.

Sometime the sandbox just turns stupid.

Time to all take yer balls and go home.

It's a fricking word that is subject to interpretation.

Wow... kids these days.

You mean like the word "is". "It depends on what your definition of the word "is" is." Is that what your saying?

Oh my, did you just make a complete a$$ out of yourself? [wub]

Not from my perspective, but perhaps from yours.

This is the rub. NO. Plain and simple. The internet proves this every time some person confesses they just dropped two grand on a Les Paul and want to know if is a good one. I got some great knives for Christmas. I'm getting an AllClad in the spring. I cook, Mrs oooks, we love to cook. We are not chefs by any stretch, not at all, and won't ever be. I would have to take serious time away from my nine guitars and 5 amps and three keys and dozen mics and recording junk to become a chef. But I cook.

Mr. FirstMeasure is very right, as unpopular as his opinion would appear to be.

If the ad in the paper(they still put ads in the paper, right?) is for a guitar player, and myself and a guy that can play, wrong, the opening to Smoke On The Water, the two of us go and try for the gig, I'm pretty much betting all the stuff above that no matter what the genre, I will get the gig. The perception of the peoples that are hiring the guitar player is what matters, not our perceptions of ourselves in whaever vacuum we choose to live in. It seems that Mr. FirstMeasure and many others do not live in any sort of vacuum and they, we go out there or have gone out there and participated in things that require a Guitar Player. If you have not put yourself in the position to be a guitar player you can certainly call yourself anything you want and you would be right, so long as you don't ever objectively test it.

To make it fair, I would not ever answer an ad for a Bass Player. I have a yankee Jazz(man that thing is schmokin hot) and a yankee P. I do all the bass on all of my recordings. But I am the first to tell anyone I am not a bass player, and I am the first to thank a good bass player in any group situtation, because it really is not easy to Be a Bass Player.

Same for keys, I only know enough to get me through this song right here, and I'll practice enough to get me through the next song I write, but I'll never Be a keys player.

It is one thing to consider oneself a guitar player, most that do have something to support it, bands, records, something. Many many people play the guitar, but that is the same as driving a car, none of us would win a race even in the fastest car, because the drivers would win.

I don't think Mr. FirstMeasure is saying it like it's a bad thing, and neither am I.

rct

Thank you RTC. It's not a bad thing, it's simply reality. It's like saying snow doesn't have to be cold when it absolutely does. Or that water is ice just because it's really cold. It has to be solid or it's not ice. The line between player and owner might not be as easily defined as Ice and Water, but its is as definable.

When I couldn't care less about a topic, I usually avoid adding to the thread, but in this case, I'll add my 2 cents.

I couldn't care less.

Does anyone on this thread really care if they're labeled as a person that plays an instrument or as an instrument player?

Call me an arse or call me a daisy. I know what I am and don't care what others perceive me as.

But maybe that's just me.

You mean like the word "is". "It depends on what your definition of the word "is" is." Is that what your saying?

Why do you care so much? Are you threatened somehow?

Let it go...

Although your analogy is quite impressive as there is no argument to "is" or "isn't" ,, other than ones interpretation of the word being either you are or you aren't..

Much the same as "player"...... are you ? or aren't you?...

If a tree falls... hopefully it squashes something....

Why do you care so much? Are you threatened somehow?

Let it go...

Although your analogy is quite impressive as there is no argument to "is" or "isn't" ,, other than ones interpretation of the word being either you are or you aren't..

Much the same as "player"...... are you ? or aren't you?...

If a tree falls... hopefully it squashes something....

There isn't? Check your history,

I didn't come up with it.

But the silly notion that word definitions are subjective is absurd.

The great thing about the guitar is that it is easy to play but hard to play well. Certainly you are a player if you can strum alone to the song you are singing but a good player if you can then play the melody on the guitar.

I have a friend who loves to play intros but then he can't continue the song with a vocal and guitar,what use is that, is he a player? Maybe the answer is if you can make music you are a player.

Cindy....

I only remember my great grandmother as an weakened antique some 60+ years ago.

But, if I may....

I did meet Mother Maybelle Carter and her hands were not heavily calloused in spite of the heaviest strings I've ever encountered on a guitar on her old Gibson archtop.

It's gotta be a matter of technique. I didn't think of it those roughly 45 years ago, but nowadays, watching her on Youtube, I've noticed she played a lot with a capo. If not almost always. That lowered the action on those first four frets. Secondly pickin' with only necessary finger pressure on the strings had become "her."

That is a good lesson perhaps for all of us.

m

Cindy....

I only remember my great grandmother as an weakened antique some 60+ years ago.

But, if I may....

I did meet Mother Maybelle Carter and her hands were not heavily calloused in spite of the heaviest strings I've ever encountered on a guitar on her old Gibson archtop.

It's gotta be a matter of technique. I didn't think of it those roughly 45 years ago, but nowadays, watching her on Youtube, I've noticed she played a lot with a capo. If not almost always. That lowered the action on those first four frets. Secondly pickin' with only necessary finger pressure on the strings had become "her."

That is a good lesson perhaps for all of us.

m

I don't much mind my callouses these days... I never really wanted 'dentist's hands' anyway....

when I was younger, sliding my hands along a date's pantyhose and snagging them was an issue....but now....not so much!

I've been friends with female pickers, but to tell the truth...I never felt their fingers.

Rob...

Pantyhose for girls on dates? Gee, you are young.

<chortle>

All kidding and teasing aside... The folkie thing was running full force in the early to mid 1960s. I don't recall any girl pickers I knew having noticeably heavy callouses on their hands. OTOH, a capo was as common on most folkies' guitars around me as strings.

m

Lets see, which came first---the chicken or the egg? My feeling is this thread has kinda gone off in this direction. Many points well taken but I don't think there is a definitive answer to the general topic. It's all in the perception of the meaning of the question which for each of us varies. That's what we get for being human. Now, lets play on and enjoy our guitars, whatever the skill level.

Archived