Gibson Brands Forums

Worst car you have ever owned?

heymisterk

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a '72 Vega that I used a "conversion kit" to install a 327ci 300hp heads engine into, this engine also had 11/1 semi-dome pistons, a Weiand tunnel ram w/2 Holley 750s & 236/376 camshaft kit.....it also had a mid 70s Camaro tranny & rear end (which had to be narrowed 8")

1st time I cranked it, every plastic flap I hadn't already cut from the engine compartment melted, the fenderwell flaps caught fire.....1st time I drove it, the windshield popped out, the (shortened) driveshaft broke, and while towing it home a front balljoint gave out.......sold it to my bro in law after that.

a 69 1/2 Dodge Dart 340 GT.....fast, but the trunk just wasnt big enough to carry enough starters/alternators/voltage regulators to last me from payday to payday.

my late "string" of aluminum block V engines....every one of them had the malady of the headbolts backing out, blowing the headgaskets.

Now, I drive an older Silverado, with a cast iron 350 Vortec that just can't be beat!

Working in automotive industry all I can say: never buy anything that's made (glued together) in Europe. They are three times as expensive as an american car of the same level and are junk!

This has always been a puzzle to me: European cars are very, very expensive to buy comparatively-speaking, and for that high price of admission, you are rewarded with frequent trips to the shop and outrageously expensive repair bills.

I know: some people claim that their BMW/Mercedes/Volkswagen was built like a tank/is indestructible/went a million miles before it needed an oil change. And I don't doubt those claims. But when you look at reliability surveys, Asian brands shame these Eurobrands.

My girlfriend had a 2000 Volkwagen Passat that went 30,000 miles before everything electronic started to freak out. Repair bills were nuts. I had tried to get her to buy an Accord, but she thought the Passat "drove better." The problem was, the Passat often didn't drive at all. [biggrin]

My parents had a Peugeot 504 that they gave me. The thing was a piece of junk. The clutch didn't work, but like Milo's Dodge, you didn't have to use it if you knew what to do. From a dead start, you'd rev the engine and push the shifter up toward first gear and the thing would start inching forward. Then, once you were going about 1 or 2 mph, you could let off the gas and dump it into gear. Once you were going, it was a piece of cake to shift. Just a little rough.

To start it in the winter, you'd heat up a pan of hot water and pour it on the carb to heat it up. Then it would start.

[thumbup]

1984 Dodge Daytona turbo.

My first new car. Decided to buy it when I got a permanent job in the government. My payments were $475 a month when I was only making $425, twice a month. Young and stupid and always broke. That car was in the shop 13 times in the first 9 months I owned it. It got a little better after that and only went into the shop every season change. Something happened every 3 months or so.

Even had the hood fly open at 60 mph. Broke my windshield, dented in the roof and totally wrecked the hood. I was on my way to pick up my grandmother. Good thing it didn't happen with her in the car. The last year I owned it, I put on a set of Z rated tires, got a new paint job (Around $5000 total) and then a month later, it died completely.

My best vehicles have been my Ford Explorer's. I'm on my third and only have good things to say.

Dave

This has always been a puzzle to me: European cars are very, very expensive to buy comparatively-speaking, and for that high price of admission, you are rewarded with frequent trips to the shop and outrageously expensive repair bills.

I know: some people claim that their BMW/Mercedes/Volkswagen was built like a tank/is indestructible/went a million miles before it needed an oil change. And I don't doubt those claims. But when you look at reliability surveys, Asian brands shame these Eurobrands.

I paid $28K for my 328i with 12K miles on it, in 3 years it has had 3 oil changes since then and that is it and hopefully I do not jinx it. By the way I have not participated in any surveys about the performance of my car.

Would I pick my car again over a brand new Accord? Yes, yes I would.

I really would like to see those surveys, who is participating, the scientific method used, the sample rate, etc. Something tells me that guys like me do not participate in surveys about BMW when things go well and guys like you do participate in Toyota surveys even if things are going well...know what I mean?

I also have a 96 Chevy Cavalier Convertible with 200k miles on it (that I am driving today since it is supposed to be 71 degrees)

BMWs come with 50,000 miles and 4 years bumper to bumper warranty which is transferable. I am sure if their cars break down all the time it is costing the company millions and millions of dollars.

Hello!

"Surveys" are part of marketing. They don't have anything to do with reality. You can make Your own survey as well: "Riffter's Choice", and the brand pays You more will be told to be most reliable.

“I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself” - W. Churchill.

Automotive business is just as ugly as any other business.

Cheers... Bence

Exactly my point, take Consumer Reports, I'd like to know what % of the average Mercedez owner suscribes to Consumer Reports and fill out surveys. Teheeee.

What strikes me as funny is that Toyota was on the news for like a year with that unintended acceleration issue and a bunch of recalls on their products, they settled out of court. Not sure and don't care but it hurt the brand and finances big time. But it turns to be one of the more reliable brands?

Sounds like I do not know enough to understand the biz.

I just hope my two cars keep doing just like they have so far.

Nevermind these "advertisments". Before You buy Your next car, ask owners of such cars how much they are satisfied with theirs.

What I stated above is my experience, based on what I see happening within these organizations: the way they are maximizing the profit...let me not go into very long and boring explanations. As for myself, I'll keep on to what I've said above.

Cheers... Bence

'63 Pontiac Tempest LeMans convertible with a 4 cylinder motor that was actually half of a V-8 that they chopped in two. Bought it used in '71 and the timing chain broke. Replaced it myself in my Dad's garage - but must have done something wrong because it never ran right after that. Ended up towing it to the junk yard and got about $10 for it. Had many Pontiacs since and never had a lemon, but that one was trouble.

a '72 Vega that I used a "conversion kit" to install a 327ci 300hp heads engine into, this engine also had 11/1 semi-dome pistons, a Weiand tunnel ram w/2 Holley 750s & 236/376 camshaft kit.....it also had a mid 70s Camaro tranny & rear end (which had to be narrowed 8")

1st time I cranked it, every plastic flap I hadn't already cut from the engine compartment melted, the fenderwell flaps caught fire.....1st time I drove it, the windshield popped out, the (shortened) driveshaft broke, and while towing it home a front balljoint gave out.......sold it to my bro in law after that.

a 69 1/2 Dodge Dart 340 GT.....fast, but the trunk just wasnt big enough to carry enough starters/alternators/voltage regulators to last me from payday to payday.

my late "string" of aluminum block V engines....every one of them had the malady of the headbolts backing out, blowing the headgaskets.

Now, I drive an older Silverado, with a cast iron 350 Vortec that just can't be beat!

That Vega conversion is hilarious. Speced out on paper it might have looked like an awesome killer - but as you found out a little too much motor for that little engine compartment - lol.

Hmmm. To put it very simple: yes. 8-[

Has it been awhile since you owned or drove a Ford? You might be surprised. Over 46 years I owned mostly GM and Chrysler products, a couple VWs, and a couple Toyotas, but never a Ford. A couple years ago I needed a small pickup and got a 2000 Ranger with low miles and it has been very reliable. Have spent some $ on it as it is now 13 years old so needed brakes, ball joints, a strut support and a set of tires, but those would need replacing on any brand. Also traded for a '11 Mustang with their 305HP V6 as my highway cruiser and that has been a dream, but only 14K highway miles on it so far. So after a lifetime of driving and never having a Ford I suddenly find myself with two of them and so far so good.

Something tells me that guys like me do not participate in surveys about BMW when things go well and guys like you do participate in Toyota surveys even if things are going well...know what I mean?

Yes, I do know what you mean.

[rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

I fill out the surveys indeed, with hopes that my experiences can help inform other buyers.

If your insinuation is that some[/i ]people with a Benz or a Bimmer are too cool, important, or highfalutin to fill out a survey, then by golly, you might just be right...

...know what I mean?

Yes, I do know what you mean.

[rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

I fill out the surveys indeed, with hopes that my experiences can help inform other buyers.

If your insinuation is that some[/i ]people with a Benz or a Bimmer are too cool, important, or highfalutin to fill out a survey, then by golly, you might just be right...

...know what I mean?

Don't take this the wrong way but you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder, I did not say that these people were "too cool, important, or highfalut" but the surveys you fill out may not (and do not) capture the full picture, that is my point. Not filling out surveys does not make you anything, maybe smart because your time.

It is cool that you have always loved your cars and have had good luck with them, but it is just that, luck.

Look at your previous post indicating that yo do not believe owners of European cars when they said they have not had problems, let me ask you why you to say that? I bet you that again, that is an unsubstantiated statement.

Toyotas had a bunch of issues in recent years, was it all a lie? all of the stuff that was on the news? the people that died? the settlement? see how that works? you may not have had issues with your Toyotas but a lot of people did.

That is my point, well that and the fact that I find unscientific statistics useless but that's just me.

you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder

Riffster, it's nothing personal. But I just don't share your suspicion of the of CR's reliability data gathering method. I am happy that you have had good luck with your BMW.

I have followed Consumer Reports' advice for the last 20 years when it comes to reliability, and they have not steered (ha-ha) me wrong. While you want proof that their method of data gathering is scientific, I would say, alternatively: Prove to me that I have reason to be suspect.

What I said is that Consumer Reports has consistently ranked European cars much below Asian nameplates when it comes to reliability; Bence's initial post seems to confirm that, and he is, indeed, an insider.

Archived