Gibson Brands Forums

Has Gibson stopped using laminated fretboards and bridges???

onewilyfool

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought a j 45 tv made in February of this year and it has solid fretboard and bridge.

Was in a shop a few weeks ago and on brand new guitars 3 had laminated bridges the other 4 had solid bridges.

Thats 3 out of the 7 in this pic.

8487889596_d2f4a251c7_c.jpg

IMG_1551 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

It was posted here several months ago that the dreaded L componants have ceased to exist. In additiion, I've checked out almost all of the new instruments coming into the local 5 Star Dealer (and they get a lot) and have not seen many and not any in recent months. I think it's safe to say that they are a thing of the past.

My L00 TV proudly sports a two piece "Lacy era" bridge and tonally I can't determine that it matters. Of course there is no practical way to A/B this.

I am going to risk being obnoxious here but ask what is all the ruckus about. I cannot see where this would have one smidgeon of impact on sound or feel. No different than when Leo Fender went to thin slab boards and a different finish on his guitars. While folks at the time grumbled about Leo being a cheapskate (which he was) today those guitars are highly sought after and sell for a pretty penny.

... What's the details and the timeline?

I'll take a shot off the cuff at it - The use came about from supply problems after the raids in 2009 and 2011. Sometime in 2011 it started on 2012 models in the Acoustic division, along with all the alternate woods and synthetic material in the electric divisions. Layering came to an end in the Acoustic division in the second half of 2012. I think it was used a bit longer in the electric divisions.

And even though there are those who can't understand it, some don't like layering in fretboards and bridges - but it's certainly their prerogative, no explanation needed.

I'll take a shot off the cuff at it - The use came about from supply problems after the raids in 2009 and 2011. Sometime in 2011 it started on 2012 models in the Acoustic division, along with all the alternate woods and synthetic material in the electric divisions. Layering came to an end in the Acoustic division in the second half of 2012. I think it was used a bit longer in the electric divisions.

And even though there are those who can't understand it, some don't like layering in fretboards and bridges - but it's certainly their prerogative, no explanation needed.

Slight edit there BK

I think the first models sporting the 'Lacey Act' bridge and boards.came out in 2011..My HB TV 2011 has the controversial bridge..as do a few other member here with 2011 models. I would guess you are correct in when it ceased.

I remember the big palaver it caused heer on the forum when it first came to light.. I and a few other had had our guitars for quite a while with out even noticing it. Then it was forgotten about..i must say there was some ridiculous statements flying around at the time..concerning folk saying they will never buy a new Gibson again... it's like a Walmart Asain knock off ... the end of the world ect ect

then nothing... simply forgotten and people went back to asking what strings come on Gibson acoustics .... heheh

It makes no odds to me what so ever... very ocassionaly i catch sight of my bridge in a certain light..notice it.s 2 piece..think about it for 5-10 seconds..then forget it.

Good they got the matter sorted..as was obviously going to be the case.

I remember the big palaver it caused heer on the forum when it first came to light.. I and a few other had had our guitars for quite a while with out even noticing it. Then it was forgotten about..i must say there was some ridiculous statements flying around at the time..concerning folk saying they will never buy a new Gibson again... it's like a Walmart Asain knock off ... the end of the world ect ect

If a laminate bridge can cause this much gnashing of teeth I cannot even imagine what would have been being said in 1944 when Banner J-45s with tops pieces together with scraps started showing up.

I can't really be critical though - I get bent out of shape when Gibson refuses to call a natural top J-45 a J-50.

... I think the first models sporting the 'Lacey Act' bridge and boards.came out in 2011..My HB TV 2011 has the controversial bridge..as do a few other member here with 2011 models. ....

Thanks Del. I couldn't remember if they showed up on some 2011 models.

And yes, there were some looong and crazy threads. . B)

Sometime after the subject arrived on the forums I remember Gibson finally responding to the "controversy" (which swirled around the use of layered rosewood, granadillo, baked maple, north american rosewood and richlite) with this FAQ - http://www2.gibson.com/Support/FAQ-Tonewoods.aspx

Sorry guys, but that's totally cheesy.

I could understand something like this if Gibson was trying to bring these guitars to market for around a grand, but obviously that's not the case.

In addition, they should not be allowed to advertise such guitars as "all solid woods". A laminate is a laminate, regardless of what parts of the guitar it appears in.

I couldn't care less whether or not my 2012 ES-330 VOS

has a laminated fretboard.

The build quality & tone are superb,

effectively ending my vintage 330 lust.

If there's ever a reason to take the nut off,

will let you all know.

Yeah, I remember a similar thread last year.

Am I right in thinking the only people with an issues are the ones who haven't got one? Cause all the people that have, have said they are fine? It seems that people go and try a few guitars the best one home(not me), so it really shouldn't mater.

Oh I was asking about the rosewood, cause I wondered if it was other types of wood, maple, ebony, hog etc?

I am going to risk being obnoxious here but ask what is all the ruckus about. I cannot see where this would have one smidgeon of impact on sound or feel. No different than when Leo Fender went to thin slab boards and a different finish on his guitars. While folks at the time grumbled about Leo being a cheapskate (which he was) today those guitars are highly sought after and sell for a pretty penny.

Maybe not with the fingerboard but maybe the bridge.

Id rather have a single piece with pores going in one continuous direction than opposite grained pieces with a layer of glue at the sound source.

I am going to risk being obnoxious here but ask what is all the ruckus about. I cannot see where this would have one smidgeon of impact on sound or feel.

Like I said in my earlier statement. I simply prefer an all solid wood guitar, especially for the prices Gibson charges. I honestly expect, make that demand, all solid woods for that much money.

If others are okay spending that kind of money on laminates, more power to them. In the end, it's the money spent, or not spent, that does the talking.

Like I said in my earlier statement. I simply prefer an all solid wood guitar, especially for the prices Gibson charges. I honestly expect, make that demand, all solid woods for that much money.

If others are okay spending that kind of money on laminates, more power to them. In the end, it's the money spent, or not spent, that does the talking.

My 2011 HB TV has a Lam bridge. I did not notice this when I first bought it, I did however notice the sound.....and that is why I bought it!!

After discovering a few weeks later that it had a lam bridge, 3 ply's btw :o , I have to admit I was a little disappointed and felt somewhat bummed when seeing other Gibsons of the same vintage with solid bridges.

But then, all I have to do is strike a chord or 2 on this beauty and all in the world is good.

The sound of the guitar as a whole is what I fell in love with.

Cheers

bobby

The sound of the guitar as a whole is what I fell in love with.

In spite of my soapbox stand on Gibson's use of laminates, there is no better reason for buying a guitar in my opinion. I can certainly respect that.

Archived