Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird pickguard fail

paulville

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the whole story needs to repeated once again.

The traditional pickgard material used by Gibson shrinks over time. The same for Martin guitars. If the pickgards are glued to the top firmly when they shrink they will cause the wood to crack. Old Martins are famous for this crack. Gibson had 3-M develop a glue that would hold but let go when the pickgard started to shrink. No more cracked tops.

Now Gibson has started using the rubber material because customers were tired of the engraving on the pickgards wearing off. These are not two piece pickgards as was suggested earlier. The photo posted is simply the rubber pickgard coming up from the top. The gibson employee that found the rubber imported pickgards(cheap Asian crap) was not smart enough to know that they will never shrink but they will move around as the rubber is very flexible and will squirm. Since the rubber pickgards will never shrink Gibson could glue them hard to the top and not worry about cracking. That would eliminate the problem. They just have no one on staff that can think thru an entire process. Sigh....

Shrinking pickgards are not a problem with laminated tops. The plywood won't crack. Other makers are not bound by tradition and can get by with using newer material that won't shrink.That is why other makers don't have this problem. Would you rather have a pickguard come off or have a cracked top?

Well I would rather have a traditional engraved pickgard and not the rubber stuff. Contrary to what some here think the rubber just sits on the top and soaks up the vibration. The old style pickgard material is hard and will vibrate with the top. So.... To all you silly people who were upset with the paint and engraving wearing off. I hope you are happy. I'm not. To the good folks at Gibson. Get out the crazy glue and glue the rubber tone suckers down.

We all need to keep in mind that these are just pickgards and if the things curl up a bit so what? In the words of the old guy that used to work for Gibson. "Shut up and play the damn thing".

Thank you for your detailed insight and response. It's refreshing to see some answers in here that addresses the OP's question and concerns, instead of assaulting others personal opinions as some people often do. Your response at least clarifies some of the problems, and circumstances as they have evolved over time, concerning the lifting Gibson pick guards. It's educated responses like yours that actually help people to understand the problem at hand. and that's what people come here for. Thanks again!

We all need to keep in mind that these are just pickgards and if the things curl up a bit so what? In the words of the old guy that used to work for Gibson. "Shut up and play the damn thing".

That was my only point in reply, and with a little tact usage, at the outset of this wasted thread.

Hogeye, hope it was ok to utlize your last sentence to stress such!

Steve

Prove it lets see a picture of your 40 gibsons bet ya can't.

Yes I'm on all the other forums too already martin agf etc.

I'm a gibson guy but there's nothing wrong with a good Martin either. Anyhow you continue to contradict yourself if you had 40 gibsons why would you talk about the 3 you sold all the time? Anyhow don't respond to this because whatever you have to say is a lie and won't be worth reading.

Motherofpearl, those are the three Gibsons I sold, I still own 40 other Gibsons with 3 more on the way. I've always been a Gibson fan. And I haven't sold them all off like you did because you were unhappy with your Gibsons. Perhaps you should try Martin or Taylor forums if you are that unhappy with your Gibsons. After all this is a Gibson room.

That was my only point in reply, and with a little tact usage, at the outset of this wasted thread.

Hogeye, hope it was ok to utlize your last sentence to stress such!

Steve

Hi Steve;

Feel free to quote the "old guy" anytime. He will enjoy it. Sometimes it's just to difficult to be politically correct.

To the rest of the folks. No one cares how many guitars anyone has. It's not a contest.

It's hot,it's summer, we are all a little cranky, so. Lets all just step back and play the damn things. Play 'em till the pickgard falls off.

Would you rather have a pickguard come off or have a cracked top?

I don't really have anything to add to that. I just thought it bore repeating. Wrapped up in a box by itself, so no one could possibly miss it.

-- Bob R

Prove it lets see a picture of your 40 gibsons bet ya can't.

Yes I'm on all the other forums too already martin agf etc.

I'm a gibson guy but there's nothing wrong with a good Martin either. Anyhow you continue to contradict yourself if you had 40 gibsons why would you talk about the 3 you sold all the time? Anyhow don't respond to this because whatever you have to say is a lie and won't be worth reading.

LOL

• 2 years later...

Greetings,

I'm the happy owner of a new 2015 hummingbird cherry sunburst.

However i started to notice after a week that a bubble appeared between these 2 parts of the pickguard. I had to force it back with fingers to slightly have it fade, however i noticed that another is starting at the right corner.

Living in France i wonder about warranty and how i could eventually get it fixed or replaced when this problem grows... which is sad on a brand new guitar.

What are the solutions proposed by Gibson for European people? Get back where i bought it sothat they send it back to Montana ? Would take ages i guess?

Otherwise i truely love this guitar.

thanks,

Mafy

Helo Mafy31 - could you post a sharp close-up of the situation ?

Hello thanks for the reply.

I left the guitar at the shop for a setup (a slight string buzzing when using a capo). Will get it back in 2 days, i will post a pic when it gets back.

Wow, I see why that Guitarlight guy got banned. Why was he even here?

This problem is a bit of a scary one, though, so I'm glad this thread came back.

I can't tell from photos, but it looks more to me like an air bubble under the pickguard?? But apparently it's the two parts of the guard coming apart, hmm.

I worry about the paint wearing off mine (mine is the other type of Hummingbird guard), but I guess with the part where the paint is under it, you have to worry about this instead. At least Gibson will fix/replace this--I don't think they will replace it in 25 years if I have worn the Hummingbird off my pickguard. :)

Mayflies, welcome. Might have been less confusing to start a new thread than resurrect one from a couple of years ago, since you have a specific, different issue than what appeared to fall apart on the original thread.Anyway, "pickguards 2 parts coming apart in 2 places", and "pressing it back with diners to have it fade" sounds like your problem may be the protective film on the actual pickguards is peeling off. G'Luck!

Not sure why these guards have to be so big anyways.. not unless you have to beat on the guitar to get a decent sound. :rolleyes:

Your critique is 55 years too late, sir.

What I think is funny is that a pickguard is meant to protect the guitar from your pick, or fingers, but these pickguards have art on them, which needs protection from pick/fingers. So I am now very careful of my pickguard. :P

Mayflies, welcome. Might have been less confusing to start a new thread than resurrect one from a couple of years ago, since you have a specific, different issue than what appeared to fall apart on the original thread.Anyway, "pickguards 2 parts coming apart in 2 places", and "pressing it back with diners to have it fade" sounds like your problem may be the protective film on the actual pickguards is peeling off. G'Luck!

So here is a picture. Of course it is very small since my hummingbird is brand new.

Hope the photo is good enough for it to be seen.

Mafy

post-73642-000328300 1440672730_thumb.jpg

So here is a picture. Of course it is very small since my hummingbird is brand new.

Hope the photo is good enough for it to be seen.

Mafy

Pictures are rarely clear enough to be 100% sure - but I would still bet $20 it is the protective film put on by Bozeman that is peeling off. It is so transparent - you can't hardly see it. For obvious reasons - Gibson wants you to see the beauty of their pickguards and to protect them from harm until the are purchased. Flick it up with your fingernail and see if it peels away a little more.

I subscribe to the theory 'if it's not broken - don't fix it'. And, also it's corollary - 'if it is broken, try to fix it - you can't re-break it".

So, to avoid the thought of sending it in for repair, or even an exchange - you need to find out if this is really a defect.

Possibly the shop that is doing the set-up can help you perform this simple, exploratory procedure. The key is - if the piece peeling off is thin and flexible and the underlying piece appears unharmed - and neither you nor the store have already peeled off a protective layer of plastic - this is probably the answer. Let us know. Jim

I goes the opposite of Hogeye.I know for sure that Martin with shrink pickguard and cracked the top are the one that made in the 70'.The reason behind that was they put the pickguard on top first and then spry lacquer over it.I haven't seen a single one that crack the top when they put on top with lacquer applied first.

So I really don't mind a nice bootleg pickguard on my Hummingbird as long as it fit nicely and it won't wrapped overtime.

Archived