Gibson Brands Forums

Propranolol

fretplay

That's funny because I take Atenolol, a beta blocker, for my blood pressure and I used to NOT take it when I played out because it slowed me down, even though sometimes it made me a little nervous. Now I take the same meds every day no matter what. [biggrin]

Propanolol is a drug widely taken by musicians and I was wondering if any members here take it and how you are getting on with it?

Some musicians may use it to control their stage fright. When I was young and I felt like nervous before a gig I just used to have a couple beers. But then I realised that drinking before playing was slowing me down. Nowadays I luckily don't need anything. Musicians who need such a drug are certainly under pressure or they're not very confident.

I hate any medication and so does my body, I suffer of inflammation issues due to a genetic marker but even then I only take Celebrex occasionally and when I do it is only 100mg.

When I feel anxious I simply channel that anxiety. Not sure that I have anxiety as a defined medical condition, I view anxiety as normal and address it in normal ways.

thankfully for me, @57, the only medication I take is for acid reflux.

other than a gin and tonic or a Jack and Ginger, or a few well crafted IPA's that's about the long and the short of it.

I used to rely heavily on cannabis, but nah, don't need that anymore, on occasion sure,, but it's not a requirement,

I hate any medication and so does my body, I suffer of inflammation issues due to a genetic marker but even then I only take Celebrex occasionally and when I do it is only 100mg.

When I feel anxious I simply channel that anxiety. Not sure that I have anxiety as a defined medical condition, I view anxiety as normal and address it in normal ways.

while everyone is different, and theres no blanket answer or solution, I subscribe to Riffster's views. over the years, i've been prescribed Xanax for anxiety, and a couple of others for Depression. The last was just a couple months ago. All 3 times, I took that stuff for maybe 3 weeks. the Last time, just 1 day. Couldn't deal with the side effects. Made me a zombie. I've never heard of this stuff, I had to Google it too. It's good if it helps people when they need it. I'm lucky in that I can sometimes just "deal with it", and carry on.

Sheesh...

I guess I have nothing against folks using such stuff under the supervision of an honest physician - but I'm super-glad that I don't need such stuff. Well, they gave me some codeine-added tylenol when they pulled all my teeth in two days, but... after a day or two they were set aside and I didn't see much difference.

As noted above too, each of us will respond to any sort of medication - even diet - differently depending on our individual circumstances. And those circumstances themselves will change over time as well.

My "drugs" of choice are nicotine, caffeine, a little alcohol (perhaps a liter per year max) and if there's an owie, some aspirin. Some "purists" go nuts to see me putting a layer of salt on a nice fat chunk of beef. I just grin. Usually they're half my age or less, or have half the general health I enjoy.

Yeah, it makes me a bit old fashioned and also indicates I'm doggone lucky in terms of genetics at my age.

m

I know you say no side effects Rev but do you find that your mind is as quick?

Well as far as my mind being quick I haven't noticed that this particular drug affects that at all. I was put on this one along with some BP meds when they discovered an aneurysm on my ascending aorta and another in my abdominal area. That was a couple years ago and although I had smoked my entire life - I quit the day I found out about those aneurysms. My older brother Bobbie died from a brain aneurysm when he was only 54 so it scared me enough to do whatever the cardiologist tells me to do and what to take as far as meds are concerned. I would prefer not to have to take any medications as well but what are you supposed to do. Getting older sucks in that regard for sure. They check me every 6 months to see if they're growing in size so it's just something I'll have to deal with the rest of my days. Come to think of it - if I just suddenly stop posting here all of a sudden I probably croaked [unsure] :blink: :( [biggrin]

... Some "purists" go nuts to see me putting a layer of salt on a nice fat chunk of beef. I just grin. Usually they're half my age or less, or have half the general health I enjoy.

Yeah, it makes me a bit old fashioned and also indicates I'm doggone lucky in terms of genetics at my age.

m

A considerable amount of salt is indispensable to life. We are forced to substitute mineral losses for survival. Nowadays people are poisoned to death rather with water than with salt.

Well as far as my mind being quick I haven't noticed that this particular drug affects that at all. I was put on this one along with some BP meds when they discovered an aneurysm on my ascending aorta and another in my abdominal area. That was a couple years ago and although I had smoked my entire life - I quit the day I found out about those aneurysms. My older brother Bobbie died from a brain aneurysm when he was only 54 so it scared me enough to do whatever the cardiologist tells me to do and what to take as far as meds are concerned. I would prefer not to have to take any medications as well but what are you supposed to do. Getting older sucks in that regard for sure. They check me every 6 months to see if they're growing in size so it's just something I'll have to deal with the rest of my days. Come to think of it - if I just suddenly stop posting here all of a sudden I probably croaked [unsure] :blink: :( [biggrin]

OK - this is a very good reason for keeping blood pressure under control. And in case you don't suffer any bad side effects, it's all right. My liver must be of a very special kind since the diuretic HCT caused me - fluid retention! No pi$$ing off as desired... [scared][rolleyes][biggrin]

while everyone is different, and theres no blanket answer or solution, I subscribe to Riffster's views. over the years, i've been prescribed Xanax for anxiety, and a couple of others for Depression. The last was just a couple months ago. All 3 times, I took that stuff for maybe 3 weeks. the Last time, just 1 day. Couldn't deal with the side effects. Made me a zombie. I've never heard of this stuff, I had to Google it too. It's good if it helps people when they need it. I'm lucky in that I can sometimes just "deal with it", and carry on.

Hello!

Xanax is a poison. I had to take it too, a decade ago. I can still remember how bad I felt at that time. It made me feel worser than being depressed. "Made me a zombie" - is a correct description.

Avoid it.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Xanax is a poison. I had to take it too, a decade ago. I can still remember how bad I felt at that time. It made me feel worser than being depressed. "Made me a zombie" - is a correct description.

Avoid it.

Cheers... Bence

Dr. tried me on several antidepressants after my Son was killed (5/00) Xanax and Prozac BOTH turned me into a near homicidal, vicious SOB.

Zoloft worked great and after a cpl. yrs I weaned m'self off it.

This March I weaned off opioids, and in May weaned off synthetic opi's.

now it's 1 cholesterol pill a day and 1 B/P pill a day (because I smoke) and coffee is my drug.

Can't use cannabis due to being tested at work.

CHYT being straight all the time SUX !!

I have to say I'm fortunate enough not to recognise any of the medicinal drugs mentioned here.

In fairly recent times I have developed the odd (in both senses of the word) allergic reaction to certain foodstuffs and for those instances when it's acute I have some NSAID's.

Other than that I don't take anything more exotic than Ibuprofen and that's only when I have a smaller-scale reaction.

I suspect the time may come when the bathroom cabinet will resemble a pharmacist's store but I'm hoping it will be a long while before that day arrives.

P.

I am sorry to hear about Your tragedy, Bender.

I am constantly struggling with depression from my childhood. Usually, I have like couple of better, couple of worser years. So, I am on and off these kind of medicals.

Last time I`ve been to a doc, He recommended the Xanax, as a long-term solution, and at the same time the Medazepam, which gives immediate results, but not long-lasting. I told Him, I won`t take Xanax, never again.

...but the Medazepam seems to work well. It didn`t make a sleep-walking zombie out of me. I have a better grip on controlling anxiety.

Get well... Bence

I suspect the time may come when the bathroom cabinet will resemble a pharmacist's store but I'm hoping it will be a long while before that day arrives.

P.

Hello Pippy.

I hope You'll stay away from any medicals for the coming 80 years. :)

Cheers... Bence

I hope You'll stay away from any medicals for the coming 80 years. :)

Thanks, Bence!

Yup. Me too.

For one thing it will mean I'll have made it into the Guinness Book of Records!...

[thumbup]

P.

The problem with "medicine," regardless whether a witch doctor's incantation one ascribes to or the latest and greatest medicinal discovery, is that all will have consequences in our lives and health.

In short, one is in the position when it comes to "medicine," to make choices of the value of the treatment.

I guess that in ways I'm concerned that "we" nowadays seem to rely on pills for everything on and in our bodies that we consider a problem or that we consider "less" than ideal. Note I said, "that we consider."

I'm also very lucky in that I don't do, or must do, "drugs," although ... wait a minute... I drink coffee, I smoke, once in a while I'll take a drink of alcohol. I've used aspirin as well.

Beer? Wine? How many lives in history have they saved due to covering for contaminated water?

I dunnno.

I also know from experience that "pain meds" I've used have caused me more pain through "stress headache" fighting them. Then again, that's also my body chemistry and makeup. In a sense, it scares the socks off me because what would be available were I to be in a car wreck? I didn't use anything at all when I had a shattered break of my left lower leg, but the doc said I was nuts. Didn't really hurt all that much and I always figured I was a bit wimpy at pain.

Bottom line? If the result with "drug 'A'" is better than without, with fewer tradeoffs than no drugs or "drug 'B'", I'll tend to favor it. If not? I won't. But for all of us, it's a matter of opinion of the value of the result.

I also question heavier "recreational" drugs that inevitably become one way or another rather habit forming. That includes my coffee and little cigars. It could include alcohol, but... it depends on how it's used.

We humans have been using all kinds of "medicine" for all recorded history, and obviously from anthropology and archaeology, we know "medicine" has been used far into preliterate societies.

Again... the question then and now has been whether the value outweighs the cost. A "stage fright" drug? No thanks for me. A cup of good coffee at breakfast or a beer at 5 after doing "outdoor work" in mid summer temperatures? Sound good to me.

m

Dr. tried me on several antidepressants after my Son was killed (5/00) Xanax and Prozac BOTH turned me into a near homicidal, vicious SOB.

Zoloft worked great and after a cpl. yrs I weaned m'self off it.

This March I weaned off opioids, and in May weaned off synthetic opi's.

now it's 1 cholesterol pill a day and 1 B/P pill a day (because I smoke) and coffee is my drug.

Can't use cannabis due to being tested at work.

CHYT being straight all the time SUX !!

As sad and angry and frustrated as I get from time to time over the loss of my brother, I am constantly reminded of a pain and a level of suffering that I don't think I could withstand. That of the loss of a child. You Sir, inspire me to be stronger. Thank you. Although truly, I wish you did not have to experience such a horrible loss.

Two years after the loss of my brother (06/2005), my friends encouraged me to have my doctor give me something for my depression. I don't recall what it was back then, but I remember it seemed to help me not get so terribly low. The problem was that although it seemed to suppress those "lows", it also suppressed the "highs" - by that I mean the natural joys of life. I became kind of an unfeeling cardboard cutout of myself. Not sad. Not happy. Not feeling anything. Nothing.

A few months later I got off of that stuff and never looked back. Yes I still have those bad days, I think any of us who have lost a family member, or friend or close loved one - will always mourn and grieve for that loss. It's natural and it's what makes us human and what keeps the joy and good times we shared with those loved ones alive in our hearts and memories. But I also have those moments of pure joy and happiness that I know all of my family would want me to have (my folks are gone too). None of us know how long we've got so I just try to get through each day one at a time. Minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day - whatever it takes.

I am very fortunate to have had such a loving family and great friends and loved ones. I remain thankful for that each and every day. And now - it's time to go whip out a guitar and wail brethren. Thanks for being a great group of guys! Take care of yourselves [smile]

Archived