Gibson Brands Forums

Collings Guitars

fretplay

Fate found a Collings guitar in my hand yesterday. It wasn't the reason I was there and so I was somewhat taken by surprise. These are just beautiful guitars, the handle, feel and sound just wonderful, they play superbly. The one I played was a small body type, not a parlour, I'm not sure of the actual model. They are American made and I guessed straight away mega money but worth ever penny. The word Lust comes to mind! Has an member had the pleasure of one of these?

Ah Collings, yes lovely guitars . But then I look at my J45 looking at me from the corner of the room and my knees just buckle. No , seriously lovely but I keep thinking you could buy a Hummingbird and a J45 for the same money msp_thumbup.gif

On the AGF they describe Collings as like Martins, but extra crispy, which I tend to agree. Their dreads sound a lot like Martin but are more responsive and certainly brighter. Played a few of them, I dont like them new, as I find the tone just too clinical. But one of the best ever guitars Ive played was a 2002 D2H which had good 10 years of been beaten around and it sounded warm, rich and really superb.

I got a pre-owned all mahogany C-10 (similar to a L-00) last week. Never really searched out a Collings before...this one just sort of happened.

I'm pretty happy with her but I have to admit we're still getting to know each other. She has a completely different voice from my 15 tear old 000-15s.

I am extremely happy with my Collings. Over the summer I stopped in at Artisan Guitars in Franklin, TN (just outside Nashville). Played a few really nice guitars, but a CJ35 just blew me away. Couldn't get that guitar out of my head so I had them ship it to me to Pennsylvania about a week later.

I've owned a lot of really nice guitars over the years, but this particular guitar I play ALL THE TIME. First experience with a Collings....afraid not the last?

I have a Collings OM2. I'm thrilled with it and I'm getting happier by the day. Its loud as a strummer, the neck is extremely comfortable for finger picking and the workmanship is first-rate. I can't say anything bad about it.

You know I don't believe that they are all that pricey. If I had bought my Collings OM2 (similar in woods and decoration to the Martin OM28) just completely standard (no upgrades) it would have been around $3700. I just looked at a new Martin OM-28 on Sweetwater and its $3059. A Martin OM-18 Vintage 1933 is over $5200.

I have a Collings 00, Red Spruce over Mahogany. Great tone. Comfortable to play. Stunning to look at. Build quality is top notch. Highly recommended. Collings offers a wide variety of options to choose from where you can mix and match tonewoods, inlays, finishes, nut widths, scale lengths, hardware, etc. Options are spendy i.e. Adi top: $1,000, Sunburst finish: $600. But, in my opinion the guitars are worth every penny. I am probably not stopping with the one I currently own. I recently played a CJ that knocked my socks off.

For the record, I am probably not stopping with the Gibsons I own either. I love those J-45's.

On an aside, I own two of Collings' Waterloo guitars, a WL-K (inspired by a Gibson budget line Kel Kroyden) and a WL-S Deluxe ( an homage to the Stella guitars of the '20s).

Built in the Collings factory in Austin TX, these guitars have less spit and polish than the regular Collings line and thus are less costly.

Tone wise they're simply amazing. Great bang for the buck. I couldn't be more pleased.

Had a chance to play a CJ35 a few months ago. Was an outstanding guitar, very responsive and easy to play.

Wasn't what I expected, everything I've read would suggest it should sound like a J45 and it had a totally

different tone. It had it's own distinctive sound I would say it was the best guitar I played that day.

But I'll stick with my 2 Gibsons (1947 L48 and 2013 J 35) and may be add a AJ some day and still be under

the $6500 Cnd they where asking for the CJ35.

But I'll stick with my 2 Gibsons (1947 L48 and 2013 J 35) and may be add a AJ some day and still be under

the $6500 Cnd they where asking for the CJ35.

There's no wrong choices...we all choose what works best for our ears and wallet. I do think you're on a good track regarding the AJ. Mine is a gem.

I got a pre-owned all mahogany C-10 (similar to a L-00) last week. Never really searched out a Collings before...this one just sort of happened.

I'm pretty happy with her but I have to admit we're still getting to know each other. She has a completely different voice from my 15 tear old 000-15s.

Hi Dotneck.how do you find your Collings C10 compares with your J185?

I've only had the c-10 a week so I have not had them out side by side yet. I know a couple differences off the bat, though. The Collings is all mahogany and the 185 is rosewood. Maybe I'll see if I get a chance to compare their sound tonight.

Also, the C-10 has a fuller rounder neck profile that I like a lot. The Gibsons seem to be thinner. The Collings neck feels like an old gibson neck.

I've got a collings 000-2h, its a lovely guitar with a very warm, woody tone but with a great deal of clarity (Thomastik strings). In one sense It's the easiest guitar I own to play but also the most unforgiving if your having an off day. Like a lot of Collings guitars it's not really a great strummer, there is just too much note seperation to get a nice chordal blend, but for fingerstyle its a real beauty. The fit and finish is exquisite, the quality of the wood used exemplary. They also represent great VFM when compared to the other boutique brands.

I've only had the c-10 a week so I have not had them out side by side yet. I know a couple differences off the bat, though. The Collings is all mahogany and the 185 is rosewood. Maybe I'll see if I get a chance to compare their sound tonight.

Also, the C-10 has a fuller rounder neck profile that I like a lot. The Gibsons seem to be thinner. The Collings neck feels like an old gibson neck.

Thanks Dotneck, I would be grateful if you could update me between the two when you get a chance.

Fate found a Collings guitar in my hand yesterday. It wasn't the reason I was there and so I was somewhat taken by surprise. These are just beautiful guitars, the handle, feel and sound just wonderful, they play superbly. The one I played was a small body type, not a parlour, I'm not sure of the actual model. They are American made and I guessed straight away mega money but worth ever penny. The word Lust comes to mind! Has an member had the pleasure of one of these?

I have had the good fortune to own several different Collings guitars over the past few years. IMO, no one builds a better guitar than Bill Collings! The craftsmanship, time & effort (re; curb appeal) they are second to none. However they do have their own sound and it is nothing like a Martin nor a Gibson. If their sound suits your taste then BINGO you have a winner!

The new price of a Collings guitar is pretty steep compared to their competition but there are some sweet deals on the secondary market for Collings guitars.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

My first slope shoulder was my Collings CJ, which I've had 10 years now. I added a Collings SJ four years ago as well. I started down the Gibson acoustic journey in '08, so I'm well acquainted with rounded shoulder models now. I like them both for the different sounds they provide.

This may seem like a bit of an odd comparison....there are some immediate differences...woods...my 185 is sitka over rosewood...my C-10 is all mahogany. Different body shapes...the 185 is a bigger guitar than the C-10. Short scale (185) vs long scale (C-10). The 185 has a rosewood fretboard and bridge vs ebony on the C-10.

Now some similarities. Both are guitars. Both fretboards are bound. Both are finished with nitrocellulose lacquer.

They sound very different. The 185 has a bigger, lazier sound. Almost lush compared to the C-10. The C-10 is more immediate (I guess its a quicker attack) and more fundamental. I think I understand better what guys mean when they say a guitar has a more focused sound is when I play the C-10.

I don't think one is better than the other but they are way different from each other. I think it would be interesting to comapare a maple/sitka 185 with a maple/spruce C-10. I bet we would find a much different result.

Archived