Gibson Brands Forums

Wish Ren Ferguson a Nice Recovery

JuanCarlosVejar

We certainly hope Ren gets better soon! I will be out at NAMM next week and I will find out how he is doing. They don't expect him to make the trip, but I will talk to the Montana guys.

Ren will be at NAMM. You'll have to hunt for him.

For those of you who don't already know, Ren Ferguson is no longer working for Gibson.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but when did this happen (and why)?

If Ren does read this - Ren, thank you for your contribution to Gibson history and for making great instruments that we get so much pleasure from. Between my brother and I, we have three Bozeman acoustics and each is fantastic! Get well soon!

He resigned on December 15th and his last day was December 31st. His departure will surely be a major loss for Gibson Acoustic.

No doubt this news will come as an explosion for many people like it did for me. It means the R.F. era is over, which is a challenge for all.

I'm sure it-he will be remembered, cherished and talked about for many years to come.

And many means MANY. . . . .

No doubt this news will come as an explosion for many people like it did for me. It means the R.F. era is over, which is a challenge for all.

I'm sure it-he will be remembered, cherished and talked about for many years to come.

And many means MANY. . . . .

Wow same goes for me . I am pretty shocked . I think Gibson will have huge shoes to fill there ...

what ever Ren is doing I wish him the best :).

He resigned on December 15th and his last day was December 31st. His departure will surely be a major loss for Gibson Acoustic.

His impact on the world of acoustic guitars is, to say the least, enormous, in terms of his contributions to rediscovery of classic Gibson designs, as well as having a central hand in developing some new designs.

I'm honoured to have gotten to know Ren, and to have a few guitars built by him. Like this one:

IMGP2007.jpg

Fred

For those of you who don't already know, Ren Ferguson is no longer working for Gibson. His recent injury had nothing to do with his departure and his injury is healing fine.

Thats News That wasnt expected.. If its True... Its a Major Loss for Gibson Acoustic and Gibson as a Whole.. He Made the Modern Acoustic Gibsons what they should be, Raising it from the ashes.. .... Two Thumbs Up.. =D> . I wish you all the best Ren... I hope Ren Gets well soon as well....

How do you know if your guitar was built by Ren?

1990 ish to 2011

I would have to say for all the Gibson Acoustics... they would be Ren Era Guitars.. that would be at the end of 2011.( Just a Guess) .. anything built or watched over by Ren.. would have a Signiture on a label..along with a certificate..

I would have to say though , how its going to unfold from now till when down the road..,,, more than anything.. I think that should be a concern for Gibson.. Gibson lovers know there Guitars.. what they like and what they dont...

the word I get from Bozeman is that Ren is retiring, but leaving Montana is pretty much never going to happen. He may do some consulting for companies (including Fender, his son works there) but he isn't quitting Gibson to go work for Fender. He is getting up there in years, and retirement has to come some time. Ren has some things he wants to do in his life and he can now. I wish him the best!

maybe I am wrong, but i couldn't think of a better source of info on the subject unless it was Ren himself (who i haven't talked to)... but the guy i did talk to works hand in hand with him and would know.

He is getting up there in years, and retirement has to come some time. Ren has some things he wants to do in his life and he can now.

As someone just about the same age as Ren, I can say that very few people with the talents and energy demonstrated by Ren feel the need to "retire", unless they have another project they want to take on.

If you enjoy your work, and are good at it, you generally stick with it as long as you can. Or at least as long as they'll have you.

I can't imagine Ren not wanting to build guitars. Craftsmen, almost more than anyone else, come to identify with the things they create, and they often struggle when they try to give it up. It's one thing if you're a banker, a lawyer, or someone who does backbreaking physical labor. I'd want to retire from that, too.

Sure, I'd love to have the time to do some more personal projects. But it's harder and harder for people to really "retire" these days.

I hope Ren will keep us in the loop. He has an awful lot of friends here, even if he hasn't met most of them.

And if he wants to start building guitars under his own name, I'll be the first in line.

Archived