Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Jolene is killer. I own it on vinyl. I’ve been to the Country Music Hall Of Fame. I demand Yes be inducted. Steve Howe played pedal steel on Going For The One.
  3. I think the only difference is the finish. I've had the J-50 version for about three years and also really like it.
  4. Today
  5. IanHenry, No I wouldn't do it. Instead, I'd trade it for a nice Martin acoustic guitar. But that's just me. The relevant question is why ask what others would or wouldn't do? In this instance, it only matters what you decide and are comfortable doing. RBSinTo
  6. So, in the merry go round of Sal Guitars, I recently circled back to a J45 60s Reissue with the adjustable saddle. And I really like it. and yet I also like, and always have loved, all things J-50ish. There is a 60s reissue that also has and adjustable saddle. I’m guessing it sounds … SIMILAR! and yet…
  7. Yesterday
  8. If he figures out how to look the same as he did 48 years ago, I want some of that.
  9. Danvill - I'd hereby recommend you to reintroduce that look. .
  10. Didn’t Dolly Parton try to “bow out” of induction into the RRHOF? But she was inducted anyway. My wife really likes Dolly and I can listen to most of her stuff, but she is, and never has been, a R&R performer.
  11. If you do let me know.. It would be great to meet up, have a Beer or three & play some Tunes.. Nice job on Desperado too..
  12. Love Miles Davis, he’s in the Hall, but he’s a Jazz musician. His music is great, but it’s Jazz. I guess this concept is just to difficult for some.
  13. I have several fuzz pedals but seem to prefer the fuzz face sound of the ‘69. I like that Hendrix tone. the fulltone soulbender is another I like. My HBE UFO I enjoy using with psychedelic acid rock.
  14. I read somewhere that one of the Moody Blues lent George Harrison an ES-345 that was used in promo videos for (I think) Ticket to Ride, Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out. Maybe it was Justin Hayward. But as for them being cheap and available over here, I'd never heard that before. I'd always been told that relatively few were exported to the UK and that prices were significantly more than in the US. In the 90s, I remember hearing stories of how UK Customs Officers had serial numbers for Gibsons, Rickenbackers and Fenders which showed whether they had been imported into the UK direct from the manufacturer to UK distributors or not. Apparently so many UK guys were buying guitars incredibly cheaper in the US and coming back swearing blind that they'd bought them over here to avoid customs duties. The price difference point rings true. First time I went to America in 1991, I was given a list of things to buy for friends including 2 car radios when digital displays were the new thing, only to find out that you guys had FM/VHF tuning on the even decimal places only meaning we couldn't get the signals for all stations clearly here where we used both even and odd frequencies. I think more research would have been needed if we were to compete with the Cosa Nostra for international smuggling!
  15. We don't know, but it appears the Victoria was a limited edition? so I would guess this one could be as well.
  16. Fulltone makes some great stuff. Enjoy!! I bought a Keeley Darkside again recently.....wish I never sold my first one. I like the fuzz on the Darkside pretty good. It reminds me of Claptons Cream sound
  17. It's a firm "no" based on this post from TGP. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/is-it-possible-to-negotiate-on-price-when-buying-directly-from-gibson.2318796/
  18. Hello All, hoping to get some commentary on a guitar we have received for consignment, what would be a reissue of an L-4C. We handle more than a few guitars of all ages and types, this one is presenting questions I'd like to answer accurately. The guitar in question has a label reading ‘L-4’ as the model, but is otherwise an L-4C in a light cherry burst, with pickguard mounted pickup. The COA, unlike the label, lists the model as HSL4, which I assume means ‘Historic Series L-4’. The serial number is 20412001, which seems to suggest 2022 construction (Feb 10 2022). Would this be correct, were these available in 2022 and is this model still offered? The very light wear and finish condition do support that year and light to moderate professional use. Also, is there any general information about the Historic Series, if that’s the correct name? Web searches mostly return Les Paul models, and the Gibson site does not really mention traditional archtops anymore. Any light shed is greatly appreciated. Best Regards!
  19. The Blimp - Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band
  20. That's great to hear, Rob. No one could ever fault Chet Akins' virtuoso guitar playing. Maybe he did feel more comfortable picking his notes from a lower fret level. Soaring past the 12th fret seems akin to an acquired taste for certain foods-some really enjoy these sonic embellishments that come from the upper register frets but, as mentioned, unlike a piano where all keys (notes) are equally accessible and evenly spaced, finger space room can become problematic as you get nearer to the last frets. Some players like to dazzle listeners with these high range notes and their close spacing between frets appears to make lightning fast "shredding" easier. (or, at least, I would think so) For myself, this upper range offers new and heretofore untapped sounds, so presently, I'm still in the discovery or exploration phase. Over time, I expect a more balanced playing approach will involve using all the frets that the piece being played requires. As for finding and selecting that elusive ES 335, (I'm looking for mine too, BTW) to me, that's almost like looking for a wife or soulmate. The search is not for just a man-made object made to produce sounds, but for a device to be used to best express yourself musically. To do so ideally, it must accurately transfer the musical thoughts in your mind, or taken visually from a written musical score, then through your hands and fingers to direct the guitar to make the exact sounds you want. The perfect ESS guitar will be one that you pick up and it just naturally feels right. The action or strings level should seem ideal, sliding up or down the fretboard is smooth and easy, while everything is visible that needs to be visible. I'm sure you've noticed that sitting down and playing the guitar is different than standing up and not seeing the fretboard clearly, thus making it more likely to make mistakes due to visibility limitations. Makers like Gibson long ago understood this issue and placed dots or marks on the upper side of neck still visible whenever you're holding the guitar upright. It's takes time, but eventually, you'll know where on the fretboard you're playing just by glancing at the dots or marks. Keep in mind there are several well known blind guitarists who've done quite well in their playing and they just memorized the spacing and note positions on the fretboard as a mental map rather than being able to see them. Seasoned performers seldom look at the fret position dots because over time with enough practice, you'll have a mental map of the fretboard and playing just one note will inform you exactly where you are position-wise. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it. Quality Gibson guitars at very affordable prices must have been fairly common in the U.K. in the late 1950's and 1960's as I've read a number of well known U.K. players tell about causally finding their signature guitar in some little shop or by word of mouth from a friend of a friend. Justin Hayward, founding member and guitarist extraordinaire of the Moody Blues. told such a story about finding his ES 335 casually (without a formal search) back in those days and it sounded entirely plausible. My only suggestion is to be patient and follow all leads. It's akin to dating...you may go out on many dates but you'll instinctively know when you've met your one true love. That special ES-335 guitar is waiting for you out there somewhere. Let us know when you find it. Good Luck!
  21. pedophilia pe-də-ˈfi-lē-ə noun a psychological addiction to collecting guitar pedals. (eg. The patient was diagnosed with pedophilia after he bought his 15th Wah-wah.)
  22. You seen the price of a new car lately? Ouch ever year they go up too along with everything thing else. although I haven’t had a raise from my company since 2012
  23. Yes, could have been a ‘65 order and ‘66 construction date. It was indeed a special order (per my Dad) specifically for the left-handedness, no etching, and wider nut. (I measured to be sure it is 1 11/16”.) I did swap the strings around just to play it for a bit, but it’s not being left like that. (My left-handed son will end up with it.) Employee error is definitely another possibility for the 2 serial #s. Looking inside it appears they applied the 2 braces below the bridge pad angled the opposite way as a right handed guitar, and the bridge route is obviously angled opposite for intonation. Other than that I can’t see anything particularly different. Thanks!
  1. Load more activity