Gibson Brands Forums

Strats you would like...

pippy

OK. We all know many of us would dream about winning several lotteries and buying a famous guitar or two. Just for the sheer unadulterated history which goes with the package.

Les Pauls, of course, are well represented with the ex Peter Green/Gary Moore; "Beano"; Any of Paul Kossoff's; JP's #1 & #2; 'Pearly'; the Joe Perry/Slash Darkburst; 'Brockburst; etc...etc...

What would the forumites here in the Gibson forum choose from the world of Strats?

Hendrix' Woodstock, of course, and Rory G's 'Road-Worn-To-Death' '61 is a given. But what others would you really like to handle if only for a quiet minute or two?

For me I'd like to try out Mark Knopfler's original '61/'62 red one but top of the list would be David Gilmour's famous Black Strat mongrel.

I went to London's O2 one day too early and therefore missed this once-in-a-lifetime treat....

The second solo is fantastic enough but watch the visuals from about 6:13 on when Rog tries - successfully - to find a weakness in The Wall. Tremendous stuff.

BTW - the strap Gilmour uses for his Black Strat was originally Jimi's.

Props!.............[thumbup]

P.

Sorry Pippy, I've had 2 Strat's now and couldn't get on with either. I also hate the headstock on them, as well as the whammy bar. Just a no love thing I suppose, each to their own though. Telecasters though, I really like and wouldn't mind getting another some day.

Sorry Pippy, I've had 2 Strat's now and couldn't get on with either...

Hey! No sweat, Steve!

To be perfectly honest immediately before I posted the thread I had been listening to/been watching Brad Paisley doing wondrous things with HIS Tele.

If you haven't already seen it (I've posted it about a million times) please watch this...

For me Dave Murray's Strat that he used for many years.

If I'm not mistaken that was also an ex-Paul Kossoff instrument!

Yes; that'd be nice to try out, too, very much!

[thumbup]

P.

I did some work on one for a guy years ago who had played with Thunders for a bit.......

He had a lefty strat set up right handed (opposite Hendrix style) that had belonged to Mick Taylor from the Stones.......

It had been smashed and rebuilt, etc......MOJO for days........simple incredible playing and sounding.

NHTom

Buddy Holly's Strat,

In all the hoopla of celebrity guitars, I've never heard anything about this one. As a reformed Strat player (12 step program), this is like one of the coolest sunburst maple neck Strats that ever lived. What happened to it? It's been proven by Peter Frampton's Black Beauty that guitars can survive plane crashes, yet I've never seen a written word about Buddy Holly's Strat!

Anyway... my list:

#1. Eric Clapton's "Brownie". Now resides under glass at the Musical Instrument Museum in Arizona.

#2. George Harrison's white-washed Strat from the Bangladesh concert. Was that a stock Fender color (Alpine white maybe), or another "sand it off experiment".

#3. David Gilmore's red Strat from the "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" era (built by John Page of Fender's Custom Shop on his kitchen table).

The reality of the Strat thing is you really only need one or two. Here's what I've kept over the years:

5443049545_59f7156f12.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Not really famous but I've always rather liked this. I think the terrible colour appeals to me as much as the tone Kirk gets out of it. Of course there's an element of subconscious belief that it would help me play as well as Kirk too. I suppose that's true of any specific artists guitar. We all listen with our eyes and look with our ears to some extent.

Sorry but I like my own custom made one with my name engraved on the neck plate the best:

309194_464012223621997_1269106443_n.jpg

Very cool custom strat !

I have a Buddy Guy Strat, the Eric Johnson RW model and also a 50th Anni. Dlx

Wouldnt mind the mark knophler strat, or the robert cray model, or a 70s large headstock model

strat_4.jpg

Dlx 50th

bg_1.jpg

Buddy Guy (has lace sensors and the DBX boost circuit)

ej1.jpg

and my new EC RW model

I would choose SRV's Number One. Or, if it is even still around, Buddy Holly's Strat, just for the history of it.

I actually know who has one of Buddy Hollys Stratocasters.

The guitar was passed from Waylon Jennings, to my friend <Ricks> father, who then passed it to Rick.

Waylon Jennings played bass for Buddy Holly for a short time and the guitar was giving to him, who then years later gave it to Ricks father.

Ricks father then passed in on to him.

I was fortunate enough to work on the guitar.

I did not believe the story that I was told on where the guitar came from until 2 or 3 calls, and letters back and forth from me to Fender.

They could not positivley identify the guitar without having the guitar in hand, but did send me a letter stating that the serial number that I provided did belong to a guitar that was sold to Buddy Holly.

When I gave the guitar back to Rick, I gave him all the letters from Fender that regarding the guitar.

One thing I remember about the guitar was it had a full pick guard on it. It was a single ply pick guard that followed the body curves top and bottom of the guitars shape

Hated to give the guitar back to Rick of course, but he was a very good friend of mine.

I have not seen Rick in over 25 years, but I am sure he still has the guitar.

Sorry hit the button to soon lol

That is beautiful is it a 64 model?

I see the clay inlays.

It had 3 way and no reverse middle pickup correct?

The Case and Guitar are in great shape.

It looks to be worth about 20 grand maybe 30, had it appraised?

Yes, it's a "L" series '64 Strat. I modified the selector switch

to a 5 way (years ago) but still have the original 3-way...IF I should

want to return it to (totally) "Stock." Someone offered me 30 Grand,

for it 15 years ago. (I didn't take him very seriously, at the time.)

But, it's not for sale, at any price! It's "Priceless" to me, given it

was my first electric, and a birthday gift from my late Mother.

CB

I actually know who has one of Buddy Hollys Stratocasters.

The guitar was passed from Waylon Jennings, to my friend <Ricks> father, who then passed it to Rick.

Waylon Jennings played bass for Buddy Holly for a short time and the guitar was giving to him, who then years later gave it to Ricks father.

Ricks father then passed in on to him.

I was fortunate enough to work on the guitar.

I did not believe the story that I was told on where the guitar came from until 2 or 3 calls, and letters back and forth from me to Fender.

They could not positivley identify the guitar without having the guitar in hand, but did send me a letter stating that the serial number that I provided did belong to a guitar that was sold to Buddy Holly.

When I gave the guitar back to Rick, I gave him all the letters from Fender that regarding the guitar.

One thing I remember about the guitar was it had a full pick guard on it. It was a single ply pick guard that followed the body curves top and bottom of the guitars shape

Hated to give the guitar back to Rick of course, but he was a very good friend of mine.

I have not seen Rick in over 25 years, but I am sure he still has the guitar.

Cool story bro B) ..... and I don't mean that sarcastically. [smile]

Well, actually I already have "my" favorite Strat! It was my first (ever) "electric" guitar...

a 14th birthday present, from my Mom, in 1964!

DSC_0022.jpg

CB

my favorite Strat [thumbup] too !

your Mom must have been a cool Mom CB!

since I can't have IT, or David Gilmours' Black Strat i'll be happy w/my latest creation:

GarysCam272.jpg

Archived