Gibson Brands Forums

Top-10 Debut Rock Albums

darling67

Was just watching some youtube videos by The Cars, and it made me recall what a fantastic debut album they released in 1978(!). It gave me an idea for a thread...

What do you think are the ten greatest debut albums by rock bands and/or artists? Below are mine—not in any particular order, but perhaps to some extent:

1.) Meet The Beatles - The Beatles. I think anyone would be hard-pressed to think of a more influential and game-changing debut album. Of course, the band had released an album already in the U.K. But this first U.S. album, on their official U.S. label, put them over the top as international superstars, and was the beginning of rock and roll as we know it today.

2.) Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin. With the release of their first album in 1968, Led Zeppelin created a "template" for all hard rock bands that would follow in their wake.

3.) The Cars - The Cars. Ummmm... like, every song on this album could have been a single!

4.) Mr. Tambourine Man - The Byrds. The Byrds took what they had learned from The Beatles, and created a whole new genre of "Folk Rock" with this impressive debut album. "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better", alone, is worth the price of admission.

5.) Is This It - The Strokes. Still as exciting and fresh today as it was when I first heard it, twelve years ago(!). One catchy hook after another, this debut is a stand-out among releases by all those "post-punk revival" bands of the new millennium.

6.) Murmur - R.E.M.. At a time when lots of bands were trying so hard to be rock stars—and putting image before substance—R.E.M. burst onto the scene with this jangly, moody, hook-laden gem that heartened this fledging guitarist by illustrating that you need not play 100 notes per-second to be a "good"!

7.) The Pretenders - The Pretenders. Incredible debut release… just incredible!

8.) Outlandos D'Amour - The Police. Much like the Pretenders debut above, The Police's debut release took "Punk" and added smart songwriting and top-notch musicianship.

9.) The Doors - The Doors. In my opinion, The Doors were the first "New Wave" band ever. Their first album bid "good-bye" to surfin' safaris, and heralded-in a whole new west coast trip!

10.) Yes - Yes. There really are no "hits" off this debut… those would come a few years after its release (with the addition of Steve Howe to the lineup). But, this album represented Progressive Rock in its infancy. Whether you like "Prog Rock" or not (and I don't, particularly), Yes did it right.

I know there are many other debut albums that deserve to be on a "top-10 list"… some that I may have missed or just couldn't include due to limitations. So, I am looking forward to seeing others' lists!

1. Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin (1969): Need I say more?

2. Van Halen- Van Halen (1978)- Again, need I say more?

3. Are You Experienced- Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967): Again, need I say more?

4. KISS- KISS (1974): It may have bad production, it may sound a little more old-timey and rock and rolly than what KISS is really about, but I love it and it was the birth of the Hottest Band In The Land! A standout for me is "Let Me Know", which has a very Beatlesque feel, as well as that killer riff at the end (which was subsequently used for introducing Ace's solo at the end of "Watchin' You" and then "She")! And another is the instrumental "Love Theme From KISS". It's much too short, but it is a great jam. And I don't care what anyone says, "Kissin' Time" is catchy as ****!

5. Rush- Rush (1974): Shows Rush as what they were before Neil joined and they officially changed the face of the Earth. Some killer rockin' stuff, as well as some criminally underrated songs such as "Before And After" for example. And their live versions of "Working Man" pale to the original IMHO. Neil adds a bunch of fancy **** on the skins when they play it live with him (as heard on All The World's A Stage), but he doesn't swing in the pocket like John Rutsey did. Plus, some killer guitar tone from Alex Lifeson.

6. Kill Em' All- Metallica (1983): A complete sonic bombast from start to finish. Shows how important Dave Mustaine was to them. And the cover kicks ***!

7. Badlands- Badlands (1989): A great solid album from one of the most underrated bands. Jake E. Lee's masterpiece IMHO. Ray Gillen was one of the greatest singers ever to grace the planet, and Greg Chaisson and Eric Singer laid down a great groove.

8. Pride and Glory- Pride and Glory (1994): Great showcase of great southern grooves and musicianship from Zakk Wylde, James LoMenzo, and Brian Tichy.

9. Jackyl- Jackyl (1992): One of the best and most underrated bands of the past 25 years. They scream rock n' roll.

10. Tesla- Mechanical Resonance (1986): They kicked *** and brought on a pure punch that was lacking in the midst of the glam scene.

How about top ten debut albums released while you were musically cognizant.

Anyone can pick the their top ten favorite bands first albums.

Or historically important debut albums.

It think its more relevant to have bought and played that debut album when it was released to experience it as a "debut" album.

So seeing as I was only born in 61, many of my favorites were making debuts before I knew who they were.

And I don't think I can even pick 10.

But the Cars were one.

Boston

Foreigner

Van Halen - this one just blew my mind when it came out.

The Black Crowes - And after all the crap from the 80's this was a refreshing return to real music.. (Sorry to all you 80's fans [flapper] )

I'm sure I have more but those I recall as new bands I liked.

Which to me is how you really appreciate a "debut album".

Not ten years after it's release because you like the band.

Just sayin...

How about top ten debut albums released while you were musically cognizant.

Anyone can pick the their top ten favorite bands first albums.

Which to me is how you really appreciate a "debut album".

Not ten years after it's release because you like the band.

Just sayin...

Well, it was understood that these lists would be subjective to a degree. So the point is to list those albums, that you know of, that represent to you the top 10 debuts. Everyone will list those that they think represent this, and the rest of us can appreciate the different takes on it. Although great music was being made prior to, "Meet The Beatles", I'd say "Albums as artistic statements" began shortly thereafter. I became "musically cognizant" perhaps around 1975-ish, and so I go back about 10 years or so when looking for a starting point.

But I do hear you on the "debut when it came out as opposed to historical significance" point. But many of those that I see, objectively, as "the best debuts" were released either before I was born, or when I was a toddler or a little kid… and so I can't really use that "model".

I have several favorite bands who's debut albums I didn't include in my list, as I felt other less-favorite bands' were stronger debuts. So, it's not simply just about listing favorite bands' debuts—not for me, at least.

Anyway, thanks for participating. [thumbup]

Mine are no particular order:

MC5 - Kick out the Jams.

The Stooges - The Stooges.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

The Who - My Generation.

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses.

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The B*ll*cks.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin.

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy.

At The Drive-In - Acrobatic Tenement.

These lists are so tough, but so fun. :rolleyes:

In no order, a mix of some personal favorites with some of undeniable historical significance:

Meet The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Boston

Van Halen

Get The Knack

Black Sabbath

Appetite For Destruction

Dookie

Shake Your Money Maker

Texas Flood (I know it's mostly just 12 bar blues songs but it introduced me to the blues playing of SRV)

These are great lists so far!

Many are of bands/albums I am seeing I've never paid attention to or heard. So, it's interesting - as well as informative - to see albums listed that I've never listened to. I might have to sample some of these on iTunes...

surfpup… Big Star, indeed! That was one I had in mind, but ran out of spots to put it in.

Some of my faves that I don't think have been mentioned...

Cheap Trick- Cheap Trick (don't laugh)

Aerosmith - Aerosmith

Heart - Dreamboat Annie

Chicago - In Transit

Bad Company - Bad Company

Living Colour - Vivid

Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

Jane's Addiction -Nothings Shocking (not actually a debut, but it was their first real album)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Len Nerd Skin Nerd

Pearl Jam - 10

Three more, that have not been mentioned, yet...from my era (the '60's):

Although "technically" not their "debut" album, Jefferson Airplane's "Surrealistic Pillow"

was their first album, with Grace Slick, and Spencer Dryden...and, the one that most of

us remember as their 1st...since it was the debut, with that more familiar member lineup.

"Cheap Thrills" Big Brother & The Holding Company w/Janis Joplin...again, not the debut

album, but the one that most remember, as their "first" (it was the first on

Columbia records).

Also, John Mayall with Eric Clapton (The "Beano" cover) album.

CB

In no particular order:

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Meet the Beatles - The Beatles

Skid Row - Skid Row

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

Appetite for Destruction - Guns and Roses

Kill'em All - Metallica

Show No Mercy - Slayer

Motorhead - Motorhead

Metal Health - Quiet Riot

Ten - Pearl Jam

In no particular order:

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Meet the Beatles - The Beatles

Skid Row - Skid Row

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

Appetite for Destruction - Guns and Roses

Kill'em All - Metallica

Show No Mercy - Slayer

Motorhead - Motorhead

Metal Health - Quiet Riot

Ten - Pearl Jam

didn't quiet riot have two albums before metal health

Thumbs up to those who suggested Badlands; Dio - Holy Diver; Sex Pistols- Never Mind the....; Kiss

One not mentioned so far is AC/DC's High Voltage but the international version rather than the original Australian import.

For me, to qualify, the album needs to have more than a fair sprinkle of tracks that are still played to this day (or in the band's latter days) in the live set.

Here's the track listing for High Voltage:

Side A

It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)

Rock 'n' Roll Singer"

The Jack

Live Wire

Side B

T.N.T.

Can I Sit Next to You Girl

Little Lover

She's Got Balls

High Voltage

I don't know if they were debut albums I first heard, but I am commenting on what I thought when I first discovered these few groups.

Queen, I thought they were amazingly unique.

Rush's strange time signatures and quirky phrasing was really interesting to me.

Boston just wowed me. What a great bunch of tunes.

CCR I loved their intros and fun rhythms. I remember thinking, "Wow, how'd you like to be in a bar and hear these guys kick into 'Bad Moon Rising.'"

Archived