Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo Red Spruce

BigKahune

Earlier this year I was shopping for a SJ and ended up with a fantastic SJTV. In that process I came across a couple really nice AJs. You probably know the story - they kept returning to my thoughts. Then I saw a post about a 1937 AJ. I had severe GAS attack. One of those AJs I came across was rosewood b/s (of course), but it also had a Adi top. I checked my herd, no rosewood Gibby, no Adi guitars. Welp, I decided to kill two birds in one shot and pulled the trigger. I picked up what this time around Gibson is calling (you know how they like to pile on the monikers) a Custom Shop Advanced Jumbo Red Spruce. It's a keeper. It plays fantastic. Absolutely love the sound/tone. The rosewood produces really nice overtones and it's got that bell like ring to the sound. Totally pleased. I know Em7 will be up in arms if I don't post a sample, so for those interested, there's one here (not a great mic, but adequate). And pics below. . B)

AJRCFrontmd_zps5e156170.jpg

AJRCTop_zpsfc43b7ee.jpg

AJRCBackmd_zpsf04360d8.jpg

GibsonAcoustics_zps30869e4e.jpg

Looks like a wonderful rig, Kahune! Glad it's not a red cedar tho'!

Fred

Actually, cedar is a good tonewood for guitar tops, and is used quite a bit in classical guitars. I have a Spanish-made classical with rosewood B&S and cedar top.

Actually, cedar is a good tonewood for guitar tops, and is used quite a bit in classical guitars. I have a Spanish-made classical with rosewood B&S and cedar top.

I agree -- it *would* be interesting, in a weird-Takamine sort of way, perhaps.

Just not very spec-like for an AJ! [thumbup]

Fred

You would have to go and post those pics....when I was buying my Hummingbird TV last week, the shop also had an AJ just like yours hanging on the wall. I had been going back and forth between the two and finally decided on the 'bird even though it was quite a bit more than the AJ. Now all I'm going to be thinking about is that that dealer would probably cut me a great deal on the AJ just as he did on my TV.....gas is a terrible thing.... [crying]

Fantastic BK, what a rounded collection that is, they look great together. If I placed my AJ, SJ and J-150 next to each other they would like just like yours ! You clearly have all the three main food groups covered in mpale, hog and rose ... enjoy !

Great sound clips. I am amazed that there is no reverb on the recordings - especially the last few!

Thanks TS. The room was all hard surfaces - kind of accentuates the bit of metallic sound in the rosewood, and this guitar has that bell like ring too.

Archived