Gibson Brands Forums

Changing knobs

Zeppeholic

I need to replace the speed knobs on my Les Paul and the top-hat knobs on my SG, I bought two sets of top-hat knobs, how do I pop the knobs off with out like breaking them or the pots inside?

I need to put top-hat knobs on my Les Paul since the speed knobs are all cracked and I don't like them

And I need to replace them on my SG because two of the metal inlays fell out and some are chipped and broken (I guess that's what I get for buying it used)

But um, any help would be appreciated, it's a noobish question I know, I just want to do it correctly

Here's a couple of commercially available tools for this purpose:

http://www.stewmac.com/Shopping?actn=search&keyword=knob+puller&x=30&y=10

I'm not familiar with the cheaper one, but the expensive one is tried and true, more of less the industry standard. I have seen somewhere a "build it yourself" explanation.

There are various other home remedies such as slipping a string under the knob and using the string to pull it off.

I'll either just grab it under my fingernails and yank, or use two thin flexible putty knives, one to protect the finish (Gibson) or pickguard (Fender), and the other on top of the first one to pry the knob off. I REALLY DO NOT RECOMMEND EITHER OF THESE METHODS FOR THE FAINT AT HEART.

Guest Farnsbarns

Take a tea towl (drying up cloth?) And, holding two corners at either end of a long side, tuck the middle of that side under the edge of the knob. Now, by pulling one corner round, twist it around the pot shaft under the knob, once, maybe even twice. Now you've the entire knob wrapped in cloth, just pull the cloth directly away from the body and you'll remove the knob nice and squarely and avoid bending the shaft.

Take a tea towl (drying up cloth?) And, holding two corners at either end of a long side, tuck the middle of that side under the edge of the knob. Now, by pulling one corner round, twist it around the pot shaft under the knob, once, maybe even twice. Now you've the entire knob wrapped in cloth, just pull the cloth directly away from the body and you'll remove the knob nice and squarely and avoid bending the shaft.

This is the method I've been using, works great and no risk of scratching the finish!

This is the method I've been using, works great and no risk of scratching the finish!

I will use this method if/when i ever need to change knobs. :) Thanks for the tip.

I'll try that, thank you for the top!

The other guy mentioned that if my guitar has push/pull pots it'll rip out the shaft, can I use the method you listed and avoid that?

Beware that pulling the knob off of a push/pull type control can remove the shaft along with the knob.

I'm not speculating about this :)

And, I've pulled out the shaft on a regular pot trying to get the knob off. I suggest slow steady pulling pressure, and gently tilting the knob back and forth ever so slightly. Just prying the knob off on one side is probably what I did, I like the sound of the tea towel trick. These days, I usually use fingernails and give up if that doesn't work.

And, I've pulled out the shaft on a regular pot trying to get the knob off. I suggest slow steady pulling pressure, and gently tilting the knob back and forth ever so slightly. Just prying the knob off on one side is probably what I did, I like the sound of the tea towel trick. These days, I usually use fingernails and give up if that doesn't work.

My shaft removals were using the towel technique, but I wasn't exactly going slow.

Guest Farnsbarns

DO NOT DO THIS. The rocking motion bends the two halves of.the pot shaft slightly closer together and the new knob will not be as tight. 2 or 3 goes and it'll be falling off.

I try to pull them off with my fingers. It's safe and effective (sounds like a sleep aid commercial). Just stick the tips of your thumb and two fingers on the base and work your fingertips under the knob by flexing your fingers. They should pop right off. If you can't get them off this way, you can always try something else. You're better off pulling them straight upward. Prying them off is o.k. as long as you don't mar the finish.

Like Larry said, most of the good ways of doing this can be disastrous if you screw up. So you have to be careful at first, but once you do it the first time, you'll be a pro!

Guest Farnsbarns

I try to pull them off with my fingers. It's safe and effective (sounds like a sleep aid commercial). Just stick the tips of your thumb and two fingers on the base and work your fingertips under the knob by flexing your fingers. They should pop right off. If you can't get them off this way, you can always try something else. You're better off pulling them straight upward. Prying them off is o.k. as long as you don't mar the finish.

Like Larry said, most of the good ways of doing this can be disastrous if you screw up. So you have to be careful at first, but once you do it the first time, you'll be a pro!

When it actually comes down to it, that's what I do to but if someone is asking I err on the side of caution and go with telling them the cloth method.

The polishing cloth method works great! A couple things to consider that haven't been mentioned...

1) It's a good idea to start knob removal by putting the pot in the middle of it's rotational postition. If it's up against its stops at either "1" or "10", you chance over-rotating and damaging the pot internally. I can't count the number of guitars and amps I've played lately at music stores that have pots that are damaged by over-rotation.

2) If you have a knob that is extra tight, or just as a precaution, use a hair dryer to heat the knob before removal. Heat will expand the knob and also soften the plastic a bit so it comes off easier. This is also a good precaution to help prevent damaging a pot by pulling the shaft out of it. And if you're worried about the heat damaging the guitar finish (although a hair dryer shouldn't be hot enough to do this), just place polishing cloths around the knob before heating to keep the heat off the finish.

Archived