Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite vocalists?

nick_s

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!

Ladies first: Tarja Turunen, Stevie Nicks, Zsuzsa Cserháti.

Men: Tony Martin, Ronnie James Dio, Joe Lynn Turner, Rob Halford.

Probably much more. These people I can think of at the moment.

Cheers... Bence

Male: Muddy Waters, Elvis, Paul Rogers, Bob Segar, a young Robert Plant, Greg Allman

Female; Brenda Lee, Etta James, Anne Wilson, Linda Ronstadt,

I know I missed a lot of good one. I just went with some of the most obvious choices off the top of my head.

Sinatra's one of those whose career was so long that I'm not certain what "genre" he belongs to. The voice itself changed and with it, a bit of phrasing change. Truly someone who used his voice as a musical instrument as well as a carrier for lyrics.

Baez' later work is almost shocking in range for those who essentially considered her a folkie and political radical. She could do a torch song as well as anyone.

I'd say ditto on a number of rock/country folks the same way, in that it seems that at a certain age they begin to realize the huge potential book available to their voices and sing standards instead of current "style" material.

Joan Jett actually has a good "rock" voice, but I wonder how it would translate into standards.

Ditto a lotta "rock" and "blues" voices.

Thing with voices is that one might wish to have a certain "voice" at a certain time of life, and almost immediately discover it doesn't fit what is perceived as the style he/she wishes to do. I think there are a lotta great singers out there who'll never "make it," but who may be far superior to those who have. Some of that is the luck of the draw in pop music and some, I think, is that they gave up early. Some too is whether their range "fits" with the arrangement a band is attempting to do as an exact "cover." I can't imagine Joe Cocker singing Orbison's "Crying," for example.

Too, there are singers who may be best at carrying a lyric, but get little credit for it because a voice doesn't "fit" perceived genre, such as Knopfler. Some work well at a time and place that way, such as Roger McGuinn, but not necessarily as a genre "classic" that stands out, such as Rod Stewart or Roy Orbison, Sinatra or many others.

m

In NO particular order:

Chrissie Hynde

Amy Winehouse

Linda Ronstadt

Norah Jones

Dusty Springfield

Grace Slick

Mamma Cass Elliot

Janis Joplin

Judy Collins

Joan Baez

Carol King

Bonnie Raitt

Carly Simon

Mirella Freni

Celine Dion

Etta James

The Ronettes

Diana Ross

Whitney Houston

KD Lang

The Beatles

Luciano Pavarotti

Bob Dylan

The Byrds (original lineup)

Crosby Stills Nash

Neil Young

Simon & Garfunkle

Eric Burden

Roger Daltry, and Pete Townsend

Robert PLant

Van Morrison

Jim Morrison

These lists, could go on and on!! [tongue]

CB

Here's to hoping that we never find out if this is true or not! [biggrin]

[biggrin] That remindes me of a thing I read, not too long ago,

about Elvis Costello working on a project with Chrissie Hynde,

in which he stated, that she can do things, vocally, we would

not expect or believe. We (and, even they) tend to pigeon hole

them/themselves, into a genre, or style, when IF they wanted to,

they could probably do a decent job, in most any style, if they

are truly good/great singers.

Linda Ronstadt, was a great example...she could definitely "Rock"

when she wanted to, but could give you goose bumps, with the old

"torch songs" and "standards," as evident with her 2 albums with

Nelson Riddle. [thumbup]

CB

Linda Ronstadt, was a great example...she could definitely "Rock"

when she wanted to...

When Mrs and I were very young we saw her at Philly Spectrum, 20k seat venue, packed. The air was...uh, thick, yeah, that's it. She had the bestest damn band on the planet which was most of the Eagles, bunch of other just bada$$ players, Warren Zevon, Andrew Gold, whole buncha mooks she brought with her. She just stood up there making it look easy to fill that place with voice and music. One of the best shows we ever saw. MAN she was something else!

rct

Emmylou Harris.

J.J.Cale.

Bing Crosby.

Mary Ford.

Paul Rodgers.

Sonny Boy Williamson II.

James Dewar.

Joan Armatrading.

George Brassens.

The other week I saw Mavis Staples (Staples Singers) at the Royal Albert Hall and she could still belt them out in fine style!

P.

Rosemarie...

Is Jett's version of that on YouTube? I'd like to hear it. I actually like the vocal quality in speech from her... but one's speaking voice can be a lot different from one's singing voice.

I'm afraid she probably doesn't like me much at this point in time although we've never met. A long, long story developed only over the past cupla days.

m

My favourite female vocalists are Linda Ronstadt and Maggie Reilly (she sang the hit "Moonlight Shadow" from Mike Oldfield's "Crises" album) I also love Emmy Lou Harris and Sheryl Crow but my first favourite female vocalist was Connie Frances.

My favourite male vocalist (besides Lennon,Harrison and McCartney of course)is Donovan followed very very closely by Harry Nilsson and Murray Head.

BTW: Today I received my autographed copy of Linda Ronstadt's autobiography "Simple Dreams",I've been dreaming of meeting her getting her autograph for 40 years,now all I have to do is meet her.

Rosemarie...

Is Jett's version of that on YouTube? I'd like to hear it. I actually like the vocal quality in speech from her... but one's speaking voice can be a lot different from one's singing voice.

I'm afraid she probably doesn't like me much at this point in time although we've never met. A long, long story developed only over the past cupla days.

m

Here ya go, Milo!

Archived