Gibson Brands Forums

Guilty Pleasures

Rosemarie

What group or artist do you listen to that would make your friends and family cock their heads to the side and think "What????"

Mine are (considering I mostly listen to Korn, Metallica, Rob Zombie, Def Leppard, Five Finger Death Punch):

Abba (only certain songs, though!)

Deee-lite (Groove Is In The Heart)

Wham!

The Bee Gees

I am sure I have a few others, but I would have to look through my iPod

Sorry, Rosemarie...I have No "guilty pleasures"...I don't give a damn,

what other people think, about who I choose to listen to, for whatever

reason. [flapper][biggrin]

I like a wide variety of musical genres.

CB

No problem, CB! Just thought I'd try to get the board jumping *a little* since it's been kinda slow.

I personally don't care what people think of what I listen to either. Just had the conversation with friends the other day and they had said that they never would have pegged me as listening to the stuff I listed considering what my staple playlist usually is. Thought it might be interesting to see what others had to say.

Twang, I dig some Wichita Lineman from time to time, too! :)

What group or artist do you listen to that would make your friends and family cock their heads to the side and think "What????"

Mine are (considering I mostly listen to Korn, Metallica, Rob Zombie, Def Leppard, Five Finger Death Punch):

Abba (only certain songs, though!)

Deee-lite (Groove Is In The Heart)

Wham!

The Bee Gees

I am sure I have a few others, but I would have to look through my iPod

This would confuse them bad. If you knew my musical tastes, you would understand. I HATED this group when they were popular. One day a coworker was playing this song and I asked who it was and was surprised to find out it was Duran Duran.

This would confuse them bad. If you knew my musical tastes, you would understand. I HATED this group when they were popular. One day a coworker was playing this song and I asked who it was and was surprised to find out it was Duran Duran. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TreNe5D8OXE

Duran Duran were my favourite band when I was a kid

Well, ok...I've always loved this song, Bobbie/Bobby Gentry's voice, the story, along with the

a great memory, of driving home from Colorado, in my (late) 68 Opel GT, with windows rolled

down, the radio blasting this song (among many others), on a hot summer night, thinking

at the time that "it (life) doesn't get much better than this!" [biggrin]

Of course, it did get "better," and worse, too. "C'est La Vie!" :rolleyes:

CB

This would confuse them bad. If you knew my musical tastes, you would understand. I HATED this group when they were popular. One day a coworker was playing this song and I asked who it was and was surprised to find out it was Duran Duran.

I listen to Duran Duran from time to time, too! :)

Saw them guys twice in one March, I think 83. Third row of Philly Spectrum first night, 9th row second night. Excepting the band and their crewI was the only male in the building! They were, in a word, bada$$. Professionals, well trained, excellent sound, Simon sang all night, and John killed it all night long. Great band!

rct

Saw them guys twice in one March, I think 83. Third row of Philly Spectrum first night, 9th row second night. Excepting the band and their crewI was the only male in the building! They were, in a word, bada$$. Professionals, well trained, excellent sound, Simon sang all night, and John killed it all night long. Great band!

rct

I didnt know what I was missing. Ted Nugent was one of my top 3 favs ( I was 19 ). If it didn't have a screaming guitar solo I didn't want to listen to it. Now Im discovering some great music.

Like Charlie Brown already stated, I have a "who cares?" attitude these days. If I like it, I like it proudly.

However, there was a time when I was "concerned" with what others would think if I made it known that I was listening to and liked certain music, bands, etc....

The Police. I remember seeing the video for "De Do Do Do...." and thinking I'd never seen or heard such cool music. Up 'til then, it was all 60's British Invasion rock and 70's Hard Rock for me. I was afraid my brother was going to make fun of me when I bought "Zenyata Mundata", but much to my relief, he was actually interested and supportive of this major shift! LOL!

Other than that, I simply don't like crappy music... and thus, I feel no guilt over any of it! [laugh]

Well, ok...I've always loved this song, Bobbie/Bobby Gentry's voice, the story, along with the

a great memory, of driving home from Colorado, in my (late) 68 Opel GT, with windows rolled

down, the radio blasting this song (among many others), on a hot summer night, thinking

at the time that "it (life) doesn't get much better than this!" [biggrin]

Of course, it did get "better," and worse, too. "C'est La Vie!" :rolleyes:

CB

Big surprise here you once owned an Opel GT... [omg][biggrin]

Great song, by the way.

When I was a schoolboy, ABBA was one of my guilty pleasures - among boys one was said to be gay if listening to them. Same for Supertramp. They always were one of my favorites despite of being said to be a band for girls only by my male classmates :rolleyes:

I'm still listening to ABBA and Supertramp, by the way...

Some of my actual friends can't understand me liking Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5 featuring Christina Aguilera. Some of them also didn't and still don't like The Lightning Seeds who were a very great band to my taste.

more "not so guilty, but not so rockin'" pleasures...

Charlie Daniels Band: Legend of Wooly Swamp

David Allen Coe: The Ride

Johnny Cash: Hurt

Willie Nelson: too many to list

Johnny Paycheck: Outlaws Prayer

Toby Keith: Courtesy of the Red White and Blue (The Angry American)

Miranda Lambert: White Liar

Kelly Clarkson?: Two Black Cadillacs

Alabama: Christmas in Dixie....though it makes me cry every time, reminds me of when my Son was alive, and for just a moment gives me a break from the awful depression I have every Christmas.

i'm out of the "Country Closet" now !

I watched a program on John Denver on BBC4 Friday night. Denver was a bit of a joke as being uncool and music your mum liked.

I had forgotten how good the songs were, his voice is fantastic,clear and precise, and his mastery of the 12 string guitar,fantastic.

I was still singing the songs on Saturday. Good job Mums not listening!

All the folks who know me well know I'll listen to anything and anyone regardless of 'pigeonhole'. Good Music is Good Music.

That said; about 25 years ago one very close mate was surprised to discover I really like the songs of Bacharach and David.

There's even some Rap I've heard which is good. Honest! That was the only genre which had never appealed to me previously but some fellow forumites posted several youtube links which opened-up my mind.

I didn't go straight out and buy the CDs but no longer will I say 'All Rap is Crap!'.

P.

Some folks don't care much for this lady's singing or arrangements - but note that at one point Bobby Zimmerman played harmonica for her. Sad, sad life as with many of the green-witch villagers of the late folkie era.

Her version of "how sweet it is" is marvelous too, but this one gives an idea.

When it runs in the office I get funny looks as if I were old. <chortle>

Of course, they also know they're likely to hear anything from rock to swing, Mozart to early folkie, country to jazz...

Archived