Gibson Brands Forums

Those Glorious Bursts

zombywoof

Back in the 1950s Gibson President Ted McCarty proclaimed the Gibson burst to be as much a company trademark as the logo. I could not agree more.

While on my picture taking binge the other week I decided to also get all the bursts together. Unfortunately, my wife had her J-200 with her so it did not make it. But here are the others.

The two Gibsons ya'll know. Joining them off to the side are a 1956 Epiphone FT-79 lurking in the back corner, a 1930s 14 fret Oscar Scmidt-made Galiano jumbo and a similarly aged Oscar Schmidt Stella. Not pictured is a late 1930s Regal Recording King which I am currently working on.

436e2d3e-fe03-407a-b4c7-93ef3d45d9f4_zps191ff26d.jpg

Those are some beautiful bursts for sure. No one makes bursts like Gibson. Bursts actually inspire me to play more often, and better, because the instrument looks so beautiful in my arms, and so enticing to the public. BURSTS of every kind are IN!..and always will be! And Gibson will forever be the king of bursts, because while other guitar makers can try to recreate the Gibson burst...that is the one thing...along with Gibsons unique and utterly addicting tone, that no one else in the entire world can seem to produce. Kudos to Gibson!

JT-

HAAAAA ! That Circle O' Banners shot caught me off guard! Now I remember seeing the photo. I'd love to go 'round the clock on that grouping.

Thanks!

A humbling experience for me. Folks sent me about 30 Banners for the recording sessions.

I'm quite reluctant to post photos my own guitars for fear of appearing to brag. But, these belong to others and are evidence of the graciousness and altruism of the guitar community.

I was inspired by Zombi's first Burst shots and I have been dragging old guitars around to the back fence to get some iPhone pics, but the thread has moved on rather significantly since!

Great pics!

All I have to offer now in a burst is my very humble, but beautifully shot with my iPhone,is my 1952 Gibson LG1:

LG1-01b_zpse98ada72.jpg

BluesKing777.

Very nice BurstFest. I'd love to get my hands (and ears) on that Galiano. Could you provide some description of it's construction, and, your favorite thing, a sound description :0 !?

There was actually no Galiano Guitar company - just a consortium of four or so east coast guitar builders (mostly Italians) who made guitars with that moniker.

The Galiano is about as rare as it gets when it comes to Schmidt-made guitars with its 14 frets to the body and solid peghead. About the only thing to give it away was the angled neck heel and square top kerfing which are typical Schmidt features. But even then I had to have Neil Harpe verify what it was.

As with all Schmidt-made guitars, the Galiano is a lightly built ladder braced guitar. It has no soundhole bracing (which can be a problem so I will eventually go and have some added) and only three top braces plus the bridge brace as opposed to the more normal four brace and bridge system. What keeps it being an absolutely stellar sounding guitar is the birch top. It really cuts the volume down. But the larger lower bout and longer scale gives the guitar some decent upper end snap and low end thump. There is not a hint of the lo-fi hollowness or tinny sound you often get with birch top guitars.

This is an older, and oft-posted picture, but it feature some of the bursts Gibson is shooting these days.

Top: J-160E Standatd (x-braced), J-160E Peace (ladder braced), Short-scale Maple Advanced Jumbo, Advanced Jumbo

Bottom: J-45 Custom Rosewood Vine, True Vintage Southern Jumbo, True Vintage J-45, Fuller's 1939 J-35 Reissue, J-185 Custom Vine

Not Shown: 1942 J-45 Legend

227ii.jpg

Archived