Gibson Brands Forums

Collectors choice #9 "Believer Burst"

Rabs

Have you ever tried any?

I've (only) played four examples from the series and - the 'aged' rear of the neck of the 'Koss' apart - they were all, without exception, fantastic guitars. Really Fantastic.

P.

How every guitar they make should be? Without taking out a second mortgage? Not trying to be overly snarky, P, just think a 13k guitar is ridiculous. A bottle of port isn't helping matters.

What about Gibson's Jonas Bros signature model they made a few years back. Who the hell at Gibson comes up with these ideas. They sould be keel hauled.

That was actually a great concept! Minus the JB sigs and graphics, the specs on the guitar were great.

How every guitar they make should be? Without taking out a second mortgage? Not trying to be overly snarky, P, just think a 13k guitar is ridiculous. A bottle of port isn't helping matters.

But a 13k bottle of Sandemans would be awesome. I'd buy it, split it with the Mrs.

rct

As long as there are people prepared to pay 13k for a guitar then Gibson will keep producing them and thinking of inventing more ways to further bump the price!

13k is beyond a joke.

Why don't they concentrate on making the standard a killer guitar again instead of diluting the pool even further!

Buy secondhand!! [flapper]

I think I know where this idiotic "aged", "relic-ed", call it what you will thing came from.

Over on the Fender site there is an article about Keith Richards asking them to make a duplicate of a 1952 model (or something like that) and when it was done he told them "bash it up a bit and I'll take it" and the manufacturers took the idea and ran with it. Ca-Ching!

Looks as if Keith wanted to look his gutars a bit like himself... [scared]

:lol:

All kidding aside, there might be a certain vanity which makes him wanting to appear to the audiences as if he played his old beat-up instruments. But I think meanwhile lots of people know that these are remakes being much more expensive than glossy and shining new ones. [unsure]

It's working. Henry's rubbing his hands together listening to us say how great Les Pauls are. Whether it's a wannabe guitar in the 13K range (to go with the pre-worn in jeans and the pre-lived life) or if it's a real workingman's axe from the Standard/Traditional/Studio range.

I'm breaking out the LP today! [thumbup]

Hey, Snarky's just fine with me, Jeff...

Of course it is just, in essence, as Searcy described it; "...a 59 reissue.... this time in a tasteful burst.... didn't see that coming"

[lol]

But there has always been a subtle difference between the ones I have played and, say, a regular Les Paul Standard/Trad - and even with the re-issues.

On which note....I've just checked and I made a mistake in my earlier post. The 'Koss' wasn't part of the 'Collector's Choice' series. Apologies!

The ones I've played, therefore, number only three. These have been #2 (Goldie); #3 (The Babe) and #6 (the un-named Mike Slubowski-owned '59).

Analogy time, I'm afraid............[blush]

In any decent city you can find a good tailor's shop who will do you a really nice off-the-peg suit. This is the equivalent of the LP Standard/Traditional (if you will).

Pay him quite a bit more and he will make you a really nice made-to-measure suit. This would be the equivalent of the R8 / R9 / R0.

Pay him more still and he will take the finest cloths he can source and he will make you a suit which makes every other suit you've ever owned seem 'lacking' in that certain something.

The C-C guitars I've played would all fall into this category in terms of sheer craftsmanship and attention to detail. They really have been wonderful guitars.

I've been fortunate enough to have played many R-Is and most of them were very nice. A few have been quite exceptional (of course) and I'd happily rate those examples as being on a par with the C-C's in all respects.

But quite a few R-Is have been, shall we say, slightly 'below one's expectations' in the performance stakes?. Good enough guitars in their own right but not any more 'special' than any fine, regular USA-line LP.

Now; I agree that 13k is a scary price to pay for a new LP but I didn't remember thinking the ones I tried were ridiculously priced.

I've just checked the 'List' and of the three mentioned above the #6 is priced a mere $33 more than a regular '59 R-I. $33.00, that is.

It also happened to be my favourite of the trio I sampled (with #3 a close second except I didn't like the Bigsby).

Were I in the market for another LP and was looking for something in the R-I price-range then I wouldn't hesitate to fork out the extra $33 for the #6.

The #3 is $700 more but as that comes with a Bigsby some of the hike can be attributed in that quarter.

'Goldie',admittedly, is a whopping $2k more than a regular R9. More work making the 'patina' look authentic? Who knows?...

P.

There's no doubt that there exquisite guitars, check out Andertons reviews of previous CC models:

Very nice indeed!

Thanks for posting those two clips, Ian, I hadn't seen those before.

Co-incidentally they showcase two of the CC's which I have tried - although I didn't play the ones in Andertons.

The whole ten minutes or so of the first clip is interesting but especially the first minute or two in particular because they echo my own sentiments as previously posted...............[lol]

OK; they prefer the #2 over any other LP but that was only because the #6 was yet to appear.....[laugh]

Also interesting to note that Chappers and The Cap'n are less frivolous than their usual selves. They do appear to be pretty awestruck by the instrument throughout the whole clip.

The clip also answers - at least in part - why the #2 was $2k more than the others; Tom Murphy did the ageing on those.

One further notable point is the bit around 4:40 - 5:00 where Chappers talks about the neck profile.

Although it's meant to be a '59 he says (in effect) it seems to be slimmer. This is no doubt because the 'real' '58 / '59 necks had considerably less 'shoulder' than that seen on the R8s and R9s.

Putting aside the 'attention to detail' etc. I mentioned in my earlier post there seems (to me) to be no reason why the regular USA-line can't have the same neck-profile or action as seen here.

The 'Fancy Clothes' of the top matching the original; custom-wound PAFs; Murphy-aged finish and so-on are really no more than expensive non-essentials.

Take all that stuff out of the pricing equation and it does beg the question 'Why aren't all LPs built this well?'.

Thanks again, Ian!.........................[thumbup]

EDIT : Just for fun here's a later CC (#15) which is a mere $33 more than a regular R9;

http://www2.gibson.c...8-Les-Paul.aspx

P.

Have you ever tried any?

I've (only) played four examples from the series and - the 'aged' rear of the neck of the 'Koss' apart - they were all, without exception, fantastic guitars. Really Fantastic.

P.

Hello All!

Although, I never had the chance to put my hands on one of these, I believe Pippy.

The guys at my favorite shop have been to Musikmesse, where they tried some of these out. They say, not even the best of Gibson USA range comes close to these. I trust them too.

Still, 13K is an insane price for me. But, I hope there are guys who can afford them and willing to buy more and more of them to keep the company going strong.

Cheers... Bence

The Luthier that built that "Belivers Burst" did one hell of a job..... Dont know if I could justify $13K for any guitar, but you cant take away from the fact that it's a nice AXE.... And if it plays like any of the historic R9's it's definitely one hell of a player.

Yes Pippy, there is no real reason why a "regular" Les Paul can't be as good as those, but then again they wouldn't be able to charge a fortune for the CC models then! I find the whole re issue thing a little amusing, it's as though Gibson are saying that the products that they produce now are no where near as good as the ones they produced 55 years ago, but you can have one like that if you pay a premium!

Imagine that sort of business logic being applied to, for example the motor industry, only Morgan could get away with it! Oh no sorry, scotch that out, I drive one of those [unsure]

Regards,

Ian.

Well, I just don't think of guitars when I hear or see the name Tom Murphy. Having sat and had a...coffee, yeah that's it, with him a couple times out there. He takes awesome pictures.

19182CoyoteBlowingSnow.jpg

rct

Yes Pippy, there is no real reason why a "regular" Les Paul can't be as good as those,

Sorry..... But a regular Les Paul wont touch that axe no matter what you do to a "regular" Les Paul..... There are just too many reasons in the construction..... Sorry man....

But there's no reason one cant enjoy the standard built Les Pauls as much

Sorry..... But a regular Les Paul wont touch that axe no matter what you do to a "regular" Les Paul..... There are just too many reasons in the construction..... Sorry man....

But there's no reason one cant enjoy the standard built Les Pauls as much

Yep, stop lusting, start playing!

Ian.

Nice snap of the wolf, rct! I'll check out his site.

[thumbup]

And as far as the USA / R(x) / CC stuff is concerned;

It probably just goes to show that God/The Devil really IS in the detail.

(as those responsible for crafting those wonderful ash-framed runabouts can confirm............[wink])

P.

I figure that I'm enough of a relic as it is.

Once that AARP card hits the mailbox it's all downhill from there.

You whippersnappers enjoy your guitars, I've got to go find where I left my teeth.

Ha ha ha hahahahaha - almost fell out of my chair [biggrin][thumbup]

Nice snap of the wolf, rct! I'll check out his site.

He's The Man for Yellowstone photography. Prolly have a halfa dozen or so hanging in our house. And a really nice guy, happy to sit and chat about his favorite stuff. We were actually trapped in the Snow Lodge during a pretty good spell of weather this past February, he was inside for a change, so we made our way to the bar for a bit. A few years ago he was signing books in the lobby of the Old Faithful Inn and actually stopped for a while to give a teen some tips on the fading light out front of the hotel. That was fun!

You guys need a Yellowstone.

rct

Yes Pippy, there is no real reason why a "regular" Les Paul can't be as good as those, but then again they wouldn't be able to charge a fortune for the CC models then! I find the whole re issue thing a little amusing, it's as though Gibson are saying that the products that they produce now are no where near as good as the ones they produced 55 years ago, but you can have one like that if you pay a premium!

Imagine that sort of business logic being applied to, for example the motor industry, only Morgan could get away with it! Oh no sorry, scotch that out, I drive one of those [unsure]

Regards,

Ian.

''Well,it may be because the person they admired played one,it may be because of a myth that this guitar is better than that guitar,

I believe that the guitar they're making today is far superior to the guitar that we had back then,not that there was anything wrong with the guitar we had then,

We've just learned over a period of years how to make them even better''.

Archived