Gibson Brands Forums

Who wants Gibson to make amps again

Rabs

So id love to get a Gibson amp... You know, an amp specifically aimed at the Gibson sound.. Maybe make one that suits each model or something so a LP amp, and SG amp etc...

I just think it would be great if Gibson did that.. id get one..

I know one might say that Marshall already make the perfect amp to suit a Gibson.. but I think it would be a real money spinner for them..

What do you reckon?

I already have 5 amps...whats one more?? Come to think of it, I used to have a 1X12 Gibson back in the 70's. I think I (stupidly) had it recovered in Fender Tolex and "rehardwared" with all Fender parts (corners, handle and feet)

...then I sold it for $50 to a bandmate when times got tuff around '94.

It would be nice if they did it again. I played on some of the ones from the early 2000's which I thought were awesome. .I used to have the Gibson hawk. it was killer. 1 15" speaker reverb and tremelo. I sold it to a friend about 20 years ago and wished I never had. Oh well, Tim

I have 4 Gibson amps and 3 of them are the Goldtone series which are drop dead superb amps. I can't imagine why they quit making them (or having them made) unless they just didn't sell enough of them at the time to be able to make a profit. It's a shame really because they are killer amps. I voted yes because Gibson is capable of making a great amp - they just don't have the will I guess.

Gibson were always playing the poor relative to Fender back in the '50s and '60s which is why they stopped amp production back then.

I suppose it's been pretty much the same story ever since but with even more in the way of competition.

Oddly enough in the '50s & '60s Ted McCarty gave the job of turning amp sales around to Seth Lover who had showered himself with glory by (effectively) inventing the humbucking pickup.

History shows that he was less successful with this second task...

Part of the trouble was Gibson (i.e. Ted McCarty and Maurice Berlin) wanted to make clean, warm, undistorting amps at a time when players were all over, firstly, the 'Surf-Scene' jangly-ness of a Fender Twin and then, afterwards, the might of a Marshall Stack. Hardly surprising that they failed to corner the market.

I'd have loved to be able to try out one of these beauties when they were out;

gaamp_zps4ba3c748.jpg

P.

Gibson were always playing the poor relative to Fender back in the '50s and '60s which is why they stopped amp production back then.

I suppose it's been pretty much the same story ever since but with even more in the way of competition.

Oddly enough in the '50s & '60s Ted McCarty gave the job of turning amp sales around to Seth Lover who had showered himself with glory by (effectively) inventing the humbucking pickup.

History shows that he was less successful with this second task...

Part of the trouble was Gibson (i.e. Ted McCarty and Maurice Berlin) wanted to make clean, warm, undistorting amps at a time when players were all over, firstly, the 'Surf-Scene' jangly-ness of a Fender Twin and then, afterwards, the might of a Marshall Stack. Hardly surprising that they failed to corner the market.

I'd have loved to be able to try out one of these beauties when they were out;

gaamp_zps4ba3c748.jpg

P.

Fantastic Pippy! As usual you taught something by being factual and then summarizing it as a retrospective analysis. AND you play well [thumbup]

Did you guys see this amp.. its at the end of this video... I like the old school look [thumbup]

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=14012215024858&gclid=CKn0nt-_n7wCFVDLtAodzTIA5A

14012215024858f_zpsecbc1d76.jpg

£469.00

The most iconic Epiphone amplifier in history gets updated for the 21st Century player!

Faithful replica of classic 1930’s era cabinet design including hand made laminated Maple cabinet with bent rims, all metal handle, 6-point star screws and vintage grill cloth.

Re-designed electronics including:

• 18 watts; All-Tube; Class A/B

• 2 - 6V6 and 2 - 12AX7

• 12” Speaker

• Master Volume with pull “boost” mode

• Master Tone

• Bright, Normal and Dark Inputs

• Extension Speaker Output

• Footswitch Jack (footswitch optional)

• Internal Bias Adjusment

Estimated worldwide production – 3,000

So id love to get a Gibson amp... You know, an amp specifically aimed at the Gibson sound.. Maybe make one that suits each model or something so a LP amp, and SG amp etc...

I just think it would be great if Gibson did that.. id get one..

I know one might say that Marshall already make the perfect amp to suit a Gibson.. but I think it would be a real money spinner for them..

What do you reckon?

Hows about one like this?

GibsonGA-25RVT_zps0150894b.jpg

Did you guys see this amp.. its at the end of this video... I like the old school look [thumbup]

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=14012215024858&gclid=CKn0nt-_n7wCFVDLtAodzTIA5A

14012215024858f_zpsecbc1d76.jpg

£469.00

The most iconic Epiphone amplifier in history gets updated for the 21st Century player!

Faithful replica of classic 1930’s era cabinet design including hand made laminated Maple cabinet with bent rims, all metal handle, 6-point star screws and vintage grill cloth.

Re-designed electronics including:

• 18 watts; All-Tube; Class A/B

• 2 - 6V6 and 2 - 12AX7

• 12” Speaker

• Master Volume with pull “boost” mode

• Master Tone

• Bright, Normal and Dark Inputs

• Extension Speaker Output

• Footswitch Jack (footswitch optional)

• Internal Bias Adjusment

Estimated worldwide production – 3,000

Holy crap! (469.00 British Pound Sterling equals 777.27 US Dollar) [scared]

Beautiful amp but... [scared]

Sure! Why not...

I had a chance to get a vintage Gibson amp and I missed my chance. Not only did the amp disappear from the shop while I mulled it over, but the chain-store folded and closed its doors shortly thereafter too...

Guess I waited too long...

Ain't seen another one in-person since...

I wonder if there's any old patent stuff from Lester Polsfuss hisself they could use...

Take a spin through eBay (or a vintage guitar show for that matter) and you will find 60's Gibson amps bringing $400-$800 generally. This is quite a bit less than comparable Fender amps, even though the Gibson amps are rarer. In my opinion they are great bargains considering the tones they can create. If I had the $ I would seriously go around and buy them all up. Then again, telling you this might just drive up prices. Perhaps I should say they sound like a$$ and you should avoid them at all costs. [biggrin]

You had me all fired up to play my EpiphoneBlues Custom 30 which I have not played through in a few months. I disconnect and power down my Bassman, move my Twin out of the way and hook up the BC30. Turn it on to Stanby and wait a few minutes. Power her up and zewwww. Amp lights go out and nothing. Dead! :(

why re-invent the wheel?

We already know Gibsons penchant for giving us things we don't really want-

and, then charging at least a third again more than the same amp w/o the Gibson logo, and then having to buy them thru Guitar Center?

IMO not worth it

Archived