Gibson Brands Forums

Rhoda, my latest project.

Searcy

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

getting flak from the animal rescue people (really just one person).

really? what sort of logic is capable of someone finding the gonads to give you a hard time with what you are doing?

sounds like you have found yet another moron to deal with.

I don't get some people.. really.. I just don't,

Good work Searcy.

Searcy

You mentioned one person is giving you flak about the dog.

What are they saying that you are doing is so wrong?

That just does not make sense.

I would think they would be happy you are taking such an interest in helping a stray dog and her pups.

You are a good man Searcy, I think every one here on this forum is pulling for the dog and her puppies.

Ok, got a lot of work done on the fund raising efforts here. Actually my wife did the entire funding setup.

I'll try to answer a few questions here and give some updates.

"Are you taking one of the pups home? ;)"

If I took anyone home it would be mommy Rhoda herself. While that's not likely to happen... I haven't ruled it out.

"You mentioned one person is giving you flak about the dog. What are they saying that you are doing is so wrong?"

This person has helped out in this effort a great deal but is also a control freak that wanted to micro manage everything. She has a problems with everything from the type of dog food being used to who is "getting credit for the rescue" to how I was planning to raise funds to cover the vet bills. After a few days of trying to reason with this person I finally told her that her concerns were nothing I was willing to worry myself with and that I am now going to do things my way.

The target goal is $3500. This may sound high but keep in mind that we have 9 dogs that all need shots and checkups. We have only had the dog for a week now. The pups are only 4 days old and the vet tab is at about $1000 already. Rhoda is heart worm positive and will be starting a difficult and expensive treatment after the pups are weened. There is a chance she will not survive it. We also need dog food, pee pads and all those other little things you need when fostering and weening a new little of puppies.

If for some reason the amount of money we collect turns out to be more than is needed to pay Rhoda and the pups bills we will donate the rest to a small local animal rescue facility.

Here is a link to our funding effort. Give if you can. Please share the link to anyone else you think would be willing to help.

Save Rhoda & Her Eight Puppies

10371629_790815310942402_1798607112953521887_n.jpg

10013360_789692544388012_3622435283786235797_n.jpg?oh=87e1e61065f38714dff9c2c220b1cebb&oe=53F6C7D0

Anyone that cares that much for dogs is alright in my book. You and your wife are great people. I haven't clicked on the link, but will after I post this. I will give whatever I can. Good job Searcy.

Thank you! It's going to be a job raising the money. That's always the tricky part but we have already hit 5% of out goal in about 24 hours of fund raising.

Anyone interested in giving a buck or two can click the link below.

http://gfwd.at/1jnQWkt

1hrhe1nl07mce2mkix9ntd.jpg

Judy is Rhoda's foster mother. She has been watching over Rhoda for a week now. She delivered all of the puppies and has graciously donated a basement kitchen to be Rhoda's temporary home.

Being a new mommy and not really being accustomed to the rules of living indoors, Rhoda has had a hard time understanding that she should go outside to use the bathroom. This makes for a lot of extra work for Judy. However, this morning was different. When it was time to use the bathroom Rhoda went to the garage door and waited to be let out. When she was let out she went to the designated bathroom spot and did her business.

Seems the old dog is learning a new trick. If she's housebroken the adoption process will be much easier.

So far we have reached about 10% of our goal in less than a week. Thank you to everyone that has donated and please remember to share our link with anyone you might think would be willing to help. [thumbup] [thumbup]

These little guy should start walking in a few more days. Then things are going to get really tricky! [scared]

any word on how Rhoda is doing ?

Rhoda is nursing puppies all day long. The last few days she has been eating and drinking a lot more. She has taken to leaving the whelping box for a little while each day to rest in a bed crate we have made up for her. I plan to go see her in the next few days. The pups eyes aren't open yet but they should open in the next few days.

As for Rhoda's parasites, we can't treat those with the pups nursing. We don't yet know how bad her heart worm problem is. We just know that she is positive and has an audible heart murmur. Once the pups are weened we can do some more extensive testing on Rhoda and plan her treatment

oxrd5rqhp2oeb3mxnbot1x.jpg

Here's a link to our fund raising effort.

Save Rhoda & Her Eight Puppies

I'll post more updates as they come.

Best thread I've ever read. Inspiring. Thank you Matt.

It's "Clint" but thanks for the complainant! We can;t save the world but we can save this dog. And when she and her piups are all healthy and adopted we can move on to the next one. [thumbup]

You sir absolutely rock. I did the same thing with a rescue with 12 pups, 9 of which survived. She was abandoned in a house here in Clearwater, Fl, for what they estimate was almost 2 weeks with only a bucket of water, and had already delivered the pups. She was very timid at first, but did come around and became my new buddy. We fostered her and 2 of the nine pups.The other 7 went to different foster people. She had heartworms as well, and I thought it was gonna be a touch and go situation since the medicine was so brutal on her little 50 lb. body, but she came thru with flying colors. It just made her really tired and for the most part sick at times. But hey, 5 years later and she's my little pain in the ***!

Again, good on you and all you did.....and I understand what it takes to make this kind of stuff happen, because we had no help with bills and took on the responibility to pay all for the mama, and for 2 of the 9 pups.....It's real pricey!

This is her asleep at the vets joint

post-4357-093380600 1400948003_thumb.jpg

You sir absolutely rock. I did the same thing with a rescue with 12 pups, 9 of which survived. She was abandoned in a house here in Clearwater, Fl, for what they estimate was almost 2 weeks with only a bucket of water, and had already delivered the pups. She was very timid at first, but did come around and became my new buddy. We fostered her and 2 of the nine pups.The other 7 went to different foster people. She had heartworms as well, and I thought it was gonna be a touch and go situation since the medicine was so brutal on her little 50 lb. body, but she came thru with flying colors. It just made her really tired and for the most part sick at times. But hey, 5 years later and she's my little pain in the ***!

Again, good on you and all you did.....and I understand what it takes to make this kind of stuff happen, because we had no help with bills and took on the responibility to pay all for the mama, and for 2 of the 9 pups.....It's real pricey!

This is her asleep at the vets joint

Thanks for putting in all that effort Zippy. I honestly think a lot of people abandon animals out of shame. IF they take them to a shelter then thay have to admit they failed the animal. This combined with the high kill rate of most shelters (thanks again PETA) makes people feel they are doing better by the animal by turning them out in the wild. I live in the country near Nashville so it happens here all the time. Leaving a dog closed up in an abandon house is deplorable. Lucky you guys found her! [thumbup]

Rhoda is going to have to go through a few weeks of antibiotic treatment for her other two tick born ailments before she can be treated for the Heart Worms. But she has to finish weening the pups before we can start antibiotics... She's young and strong so that's on her side.

I went to see her over the Memorial Day week end and took her outside to sit in the sun like we used to in the woods. She needed a break from the pups and some fresh air. Then I went in and shot some video of the pups with my new Nikon D3200. I patched it all together at about 3AM Tuesday morning I improvised this little guitar track for it on my 1964 Gibson Melody Maker. It's both sloppy and sappy.

Thanks!! For those of you brave enough to be on FaceBook we have a FaceBook page for Rhoda and the pups.

Rhodas FaceBook Page

If everyone that reads the Gibson forum could just send $5, $10 or $20 to help Rhoda and the pups it would make a huge difference. I blow that much a week on Dr. Pepper's and Payday bars ...

If everyone that reads the Gibson forum could just send $5, $10 or $20 to help Rhoda and the pups it would make a huge difference. I blow that much a week on Dr. Pepper's and Payday bars ...

Point well taken Karloff.

I shared on my facebook page too. I have lots of friends and family that love their animals. If some of them can contribute to the fund, I'm sure they will.

Dave

Archived