Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibsons, and their glorious burst variations

Lars68

It is a warm, sunny May day here in Sweden, and I thought I should take the opportunity to phothograph my Gibsons. I do see guitars as beautiful works of art, and they are especially glorious when hit by sunlight!

The photos also show how different the bursts can look.

First up, 2012 Sheryl Crow SJ:

DSC_0184_zpse2d817d8.jpg

Then 2007 AJ in adi/madagascar:

DSC_0185_zpsceb93d06.jpg

1942 J-45:

DSC_0186_zps85228b7a.jpg

Finally, 1938 Kalamazoo 3/4 Sport (the picture does not really show how tiny this guitar really is):

DSC_0188_zpsbfa92f8b.jpg

Please post your bursts in sunlight!

Lars

Nice!

Kinda partial to the Kalamazoo finish as I love the 1930s darker pear shaped bursts. So no surprise that my favorite burst in the house is my 1930s Schmidt jumbo which just has a tiny bit of yellow right beneath the soundhole surrounded by a sea of black.

My personal burst favorites are the 1942 J-45 and the 2012 SJ, which are actually very similar. I prefer the red in these two bursts. The sunlight makes the transition of the burst on the Kalamazoo look more distinct than it is in less bright conditions.

Lars

My personal burst favorites are the 1942 J-45 and the 2012 SJ, which are actually very similar. I prefer the red in these two bursts. The sunlight makes the transition of the burst on the Kalamazoo look more distinct than it is in less bright conditions.

Lars

I agree, the red in the J45 is stunning!

Lars

I agree, Lars -- the reddish character of the Banner J-45 is quite fetching. Perhaps it's the sunlight that has enhanced the red, but whatever -- it sure is pretty!!

Fred

I agree, Lars -- the reddish character of the Banner J-45 is quite fetching. Perhaps it's the sunlight that has enhanced the red, but whatever -- it sure is pretty!!

Fred

Fred, yes the sunlight really brings out the colors in the burst. The differences between them is still there in normal conditions, but it is not as evident.

Lars

I'd love to photograph my sunbursts in sunlight but I live in Manchester, UK, so I doubt this thread will still be going by the time the next sunny day comes around...

Jayyj, Manchester is the home of some of my favorite music. Had there been more sun, The Smiths would never have sounded so marvelously gloomy :-)

Lars

Sorry for the poor image. This was a hard copy photo that I scanned. I sold this guitar to the late Connie Gately several years ago. I wish I had kept a record of the FON. I browse thru the Banner Registry occasionally to see if I can spot it. Oh well.............

post-6923-048331500 1401057663_thumb.jpg

Beautiful guitars!! All. I am partial to the Crow as well.

What are those pickguards on the Crow and AJ? They look really nice. Certainly not from Gibson.

The pickguards are both from James (who also posted in this thread) www.firestripepickguards.com He makes beautiful replica guards and I tweek them a little by painting a sunburst pattern on the back.

Rambler & James, those guitars are beautiful. Thanks for posting!

Lars

Archived