Gibson Brands Forums

Remember Lyrics Live - Poll

BluesKing777

If I really had a paying gig…..I might be tempted to use sheet lyrics and chords….but for my non-paying cafe gigs, I have about 1 1/2 hour of songs memorized, and I've done them so many times that I've got them down pretty good. I actually find that when I have the song memorized, I can play around with my voice and the lyrics more, can do more connection with the audience…..it's actually a lot of fun!!

I hear you BK, some of Dylan's songs are SOOOO long, that I would definitely bring some sheets along to help me.

If I really had a paying gig…..I might be tempted to use sheet lyrics and chords….but for my non-paying cafe gigs, I have about 1 1/2 hour of songs memorized, and I've done them so many times that I've got them down pretty good. I actually find that when I have the song memorized, I can play around with my voice and the lyrics more, can do more connection with the audience…..it's actually a lot of fun!!

I hear you BK, some of Dylan's songs are SOOOO long, that I would definitely bring some sheets along to help me.

Who has memorized Dylan'd Woodie Guthrie? :)

My ninth grade daughter had to just analyze that song for English class. Very cool teacher.

I do use a lyric sheet. Most of the songs I have memorized, but I do have the words down there in front of me for a quick peek if needed. Usually, I'll lay the lyric sheet on the floor so the audience really doesn't see it. Mostly used on the new songs that I've learned. There's no shame in it! The older I get, the more more sheets are on the floor!!!

I do use a lyric sheet. Most of the songs I have memorized, but I do have the words down there in front of me for a quick peek if needed. Usually, I'll lay the lyric sheet on the floor so the audience really doesn't see it. Mostly used on the new songs that I've learned. There's no shame in it! The older I get, the more more sheets are on the floor!!!

I always have my Ipad mounted to my mic stand. All of my songs are organized in Onsong. For the most part I may use it sparsely unless it is a song that I am just learning. So the better I know the song the less I use it. I can also search songs that are requested and occasionally play them on the spot.

JM

Larry…you can see all the way to the floor???

Since under-school I have tried to remember words without sheets.

Have developed techniques and methods to reach complete memory when it comes to lyrics and song structures.

Never had papers with me in the rehearsal cellars, rooms and suites – thought it would make me more convincing and allow me to demand more from the men.

Very seldom brought anything written to the studio and always sang from the back-brain at parties or kitchen jams.

Know tons of tunes and confess I took/take great pride in this and saw/see it as a part of my trade.

Now as we getting older people are so amazed (that must be the case) that they respond by calling me autistic and semi-psychotic –

that's their way of handling it, , , that has been my reward ,-)

That's why I asked - like Em7 says, there was a lot of pride taken once to remember lyrics without aids....and guitar riffs and chords and.....well, everything!

But the brutal truth is that as soon as an audience appears, anything not totally memorised vanishes! Blank!

BluesKing777.

- like Em7 says, there was a lot of pride taken once to remember lyrics without aids

BluesKing777

As much as pride, I think it's a matter of inhabiting the song. Kind of like the difference between an actor reading from a script and acting on stage. Every now and then I'll cop to using a cheat sheet, but ideally, Ill have played the song enough so its well in my head.

My wife and I have an active song list of about 350 songs -- lots more if you count the choruses on which we can sing harmony. As we get older, it becomes harder. We mostly can do it on the fly, but if we are going to gig a song, we always rehearse it at least once before a gig in case something has slipped. We go over songs when we drive places to keep them fresh. We also like to sing, so it is fun.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Who uses a music stand live to read lyrics from?

. B)

BluesKing777.

I'm forced to use the stand and lyric sheets. I have a hard time remembering what stanza I'm at even when it's in front of me[cursing] Must be dementia getting the best of me!

Chord and lyric sheets are a crutch, but without them in front of me I am more nervous and forget things more often. It is something I am working on. I have really only been playing for about 6 years so I don't have those songs I have played for 20+ years.

How long did it take for y'all to get away from needing sheets in front of you?

I currently make it a point to only look when I have to....and that is getting to be less often, but it feels like I will never get away from needing the security blanket.

In the 60's, we sometimes taped not only set lists but lyric prompts to the side of the guitar, so you could remind yourself if necessary. Nowadays, I would need my glasses just to read them, which wouldn't look too cool.

And no, I wouldn't tape anything to any of my guitars now.

Archived