Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson best and worst

music4love

I was just wondering what Gibson is the top and worst sellers as far as acoustics go. My guess would be the J-45/ Southern Jumbo in all of its many incarnations. Followed by the SJ-200 and Hummingbird. I would also guess that the Dove and J-185 aren't big sellers. I hardly ever see or hear mention of these models. Oh I almost forgot about the Advanced Jumbo. I wonder if it outsells the SJ-200 and Hummingbird. Of course I am referring to the Hummingbird, not the artist or pro models.

Worst selling acoustic, now or then?

The Les Paul Jumbo didn't exactly rush out the door.

Introduced in 1969, the sales were dismal to say the least. Gibson records state that 43 were sold in 1971, 3 were sold in 1972 and 3 were shipped in 1973, the guitar's final year.

That's according to this blogsite: http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com.au/2010/10/most-overlooked-les-paul-les-paul.html

lp-Jumbo-96W.jpg

Introduced in 1969, the sales were dismal to say the least. Gibson records state that 43 were sold in 1971, 3 were sold in 1972 and 3 were shipped in 1973, the guitar's final year.

That's according to this blogsite: http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com.au/2010/10/most-overlooked-les-paul-les-paul.html

lp-Jumbo-96W.jpg

That is truly horror show.

: http://uniqueguitar....l-les-paul.html

Easy to see why this got pushed aside - what a weirdo.

However I have developed a crush on the thing over time. I think it rocks. .

There was one on the Bay recently (maybe still up), but it was far too pricey for experimentation.

I can picture taking it to a band-session - using the old black'n'white leather-belt strap, wearing a half crumpled mouse-gray suit. 3-4. . .

Easy to see why this got pushed aside - what a weirdo.

However I have developed a crush on the thing over time. I think it rocks. .

There was one on the Bay recently (maybe still up), but it was far too pricey for experimentation.

I can picture taking it to a band-session - using the old black'n'white leather-belt strap, wearing a half crumpled mouse-gray suit. 3-4. . .

I well remember the Les Paul Jumbo being launched. In those dark Norlin days 1969-86 the Les Paul was almost the only thing Gibson had going for it and must have assumed that adding the name "Les Paul" to any guitar (no matter how inappropriate) would give it a little magic.

Consequently we saw a plethora of misjudged and poor selling models such as the Les Paul Jumbo, Bass, Professional, Recording etc.

lp-Jumbo-96W.jpg

Would that be considered the Edsel of Gibson? I actually wouldnt mind owning one someday [biggrin]

I don't want it!

Never say never!

Satisfaction Guaranteed! Check these links!!!!!

Example:

http://antennabloke.com.au/bird-proofing-antennas/bird-proofing-antennas.html

Reality - it doesn't work!:

Guaranteed_zps08e6da00.jpg

BluesKing777.

Either the bird is that cagey, or it just didn't know about Antenna Bloke's guarantee. ;)

Re the Les Paul acoustic:

I saw one a long time ago & briefly played it,

but don't really recall anything about it's tone.

I do remember the price seemed to be rather steep,

which is probably why I didn't focus much on it.

Regardless, I kinda like the goofy thing!

Sales records would be the only way to know, without complete speculation (not that this stops the internet). As far as the Les Paul Jumbo goes, if total production was around 50 units there won't be any reasonably priced ones any time soon. I would certainly like to play one.

The Gibson Mark guitars in the 70s were total failures and in the collector world known as their Edsel. Though they were actually good guitars. It was Norlin Gibson trying to seriously invest in trying to again be an industry leader in design and playability. It totally tanked and probably was the nail in their coffin. No one liked them and their stigma in the collector field is Edsel like. They weren't just oddities like the Les Paul which have a bit of oddity allure to them. The Mark guitars were Gibson's Edsel and still are...(although they really weren't bad guitars, just not right for their time and too radical for their time to the point of their Edsel-like reputation overpowers everything else still today.) Interestly, there are some newer indie guitars in today's market place (not by Gibson) that have some of the Mark series' features that might have been ahead of their time.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

LOL..I would have to agree…..Norlin strikes (out) again!!!

The dawning of the Norlin era was brought home to me around 1969/70 when I ordered a new Gibson J45 in cherry sunburst from a London guitar store. I'd always loved the round shouldered J45 as played by Donovan and that's how it still appeared in the Selmer catalogue when I placed the order (Selmer were Gibson's UK distributors right through the 60s).

Soon the delivery day arrived and I dropped in to the guitar store to collect the object of my desires. Imagine my crushing disappointment when, instead of finding this beauty:

gibson-j45-63-64-cons-full-1.jpg

....I opened the cardboard box (a case was not included in the price) to find this:

p1_urave5vln_so.jpg

Luckily I was able to return the guitar since no one had told me or the store that Gibson had revamped their acoustics beyond recognition.

lp-Jumbo-96W.jpg

I used to have one of those.. 5 years it took to get rid of it..

as for the best or the worst ... it all depends on what guitar you do like and dont like.. what sounds good and doesnt. .. for any of the 90s up.. Ren and Gibson have done well putting together some fine guitars.. you will have your chance to experiance the good and the bad as time goes on.. I found which ones I like and dont.. but those are my losses and wins.

Regardless if about acoustic or electric guitars, there may be a gap between instruments as such and sold number of items. One may find for whatever reason overrated and underrated models through the decades. To my senses, some changes in appreciation and value are beyond reason though.

The dawning of the Norlin era was brought home to me around 1969/70 when I ordered a new Gibson J45 in cherry sunburst from a London guitar store. I'd always loved the round shouldered J45 as played by Donovan and that's how it still appeared in the Selmer catalogue when I placed the order (Selmer were Gibson's UK distributors right through the 60s).

Soon the delivery day arrived and I dropped in to the guitar store to collect the object of my desires. Imagine my crushing disappointment when, instead of finding this beauty:

gibson-j45-63-64-cons-full-1.jpg

....I opened the cardboard box (a case was not included in the price) to find this:

p1_urave5vln_so.jpg

Luckily I was able to return the guitar since no one had told me or the store that Gibson had revamped their acoustics beyond recognition.

Unbelievable!!!

Archived