Gibson Brands Forums

Wouold you sell? (one of your favorite guitars any of your guitars)

Thundergod

Hi, as some might now, due to lack of room to keep most of my stuff, I had to take down the studio (now only working small demos and "gingles") and had to sell lots of stuff (most of all studio equipment but some guitars had to go).

So between early december and last week I sold 6 guitars... a guy bought 3 of them the same day, and this guy fell in love with my beloved american ash 60 anniversary telecaster... which is one of my favorite guitars.

I just got a call from him offering 200 more than what it costed me... I dont know what to do... I think I can buy another tele (maybe an american deluxe) if I end up missing it too much... I have another tele ordered that should be here in less than 2 months.

I am 50% for selling her and 50% for not selling her (of course if he offered, say, 500 bucks more than it costed I think I would even drop her at his house).

The thing is, I am not needing the extra money, but it never hurts, and well... I am not playing her that much as I use mainly my lester, that tele has come to my office (my former studio) a total of 3 times... and all of them were so that I could take some pics... the rest of the time she has been at home... I play her at night, and some weekends I play her for about an hour or two during the day.

What would you guys do? Would you sell her?

I've read in this forum a million times "its only a piece of wood with strings... there are others out there" and "to this day I regret selling her in 79!"

So, you guys wanna tip the scale?

Here's a couple of pics

DSC01850.jpg

DSC01846.jpg

DSC02014.jpg

DSC02088.jpg

Hey Thunder, don't sell if you don't need to. I have the philosiphy that I'll never buy a guitar I'm not going to play / enjoy, so therefore I will never need to sell one. I would not sell my LP standard to upgrade to a Custom or a Historic. Since you don't need the money, keep the Tele and you won't have any regrets.

I wouldn't sell any of my favorites without having a replacement in hand that I liked just as much or better. It's really up to you though, only you know how much you like that guitar.

I could never give up my Custom Shop Les Paul Custom, not just because this is a Gibson forum or whatever, just that it really is an exceptional player that is different and I know of no other just like it (and I've looked quite a bit). While I could probably eventually find one that plays as nice, the chance of finding another one just like it is pretty slim and one that is the same and plays as well is probably impossible.

While I love my Strat and it's my main guitar, it's not THAT great and I could probably find a better one without too much hassle. Also, it's nothing special to begin with, just a MIA 57 reissue that I bought at a clearance sale; it's a two tone burst which looks nice and I'm fine with it but, if I had a selection, I'd probably go for a different finish.

I'm the last one in the world to tell anyone else how to live his life, and you know that YOU will be the one who must make the final decision...but...I think if you just got a nice haircut and a new pair of blue jeans you might feel a little more positive about things.

(Dad...is that you?)

I'm the last one in the world to tell anyone else how to live his life' date=' and you know that YOU will be the one who must make the final decision...but...I think if you just got a nice haircut and a new pair of blue jeans you might feel a little more positive about things.

(Dad...is that you?)[/quote']

hehehe its an old pic man (from 2 or 3 months ago I think)... I got a haircut, and actually wear a suit on a daily basis... :-({|=

I wouldn't sell unless the money was needed or there was something your dying to replace it with. I say that because youve talked about how hard it is to find a good guitar where your at.

But hey do what feels right Fenders are a lot more easily replaced than a great Gibson most Fenders sound good and most are pretty equal in my mind but there are still some special ones out there.

Hey why would you listen to me though I have 40+ guitars so you should look elsewhere if your trying to get a sanity check.

I own guitars I love but would sell for the right price but I also own a guitar that they will really have to pry out of my cold dead hands... (My Taylor). It is my number 1 guitar for a reason. I played about 15 or more of the same model when I bought this 14 years ago and picked the one that spoke to me best. It still makes me smile just looking at this one and playing it is a special treat as well. Everyone who picks it up comments on what a sweet little guitar it is. I wouldn't part with it for the world.

If you have a guitar that emotes those kind of feelings, I can only think you will regret selling it. Electric guitars may be different than acoustic's that way. Perhaps you could find a Tele that pleased you as much, but with an acoustic, I don't think I would ever find one as nice as that one.

Ok... at the risk of becoming a Lynyrd Skynyrd 14 kind of character... and after reading your posts, I called the guy and told him it wasnt for sale... you know what he answered?

"I will think about it... but you gotta know, everything is for sale".

I might just make another unexpected couple hundred bucks out of this... (If I end up selling her...maybe I should become a guitar dealer).

-the ibanez is gone

-the frankenpaul cant be sold' date=' it has sentimental value (my first electric guitar, which I plan to pass to my son as his first so that he values a gibson when I get him one)[/b']

-my boots... eh... not in this lifetime!

Good point.

Just for how much can you get those kind of awesome boots?

I wouldn't sell any of my favorites without having a replacement in hand that I liked just as much or better. It's really up to you though' date=' only you know how much you like that guitar.

I could never give up my Custom Shop Les Paul Custom, not just because this is a Gibson forum or whatever, just that it really is an exceptional player that is different and I know of no other just like it (and I've looked quite a bit). While I could probably [i']eventually[/i] find one that plays as nice, the chance of finding another one just like it is pretty slim and one that is the same and plays as well is probably impossible.

While I love my Strat and it's my main guitar, it's not THAT great and I could probably find a better one without too much hassle. Also, it's nothing special to begin with, just a MIA 57 reissue that I bought at a clearance sale; it's a two tone burst which looks nice and I'm fine with it but, if I had a selection, I'd probably go for a different finish.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been attached to my Gibsons. I wouldn't even sell my Sonex. The attachment has been with me since the day I got them. But, for whatever reason, I don't have the same (fatal?) attraction with my Strat even though it's a fine guitar. To be honest with you I don't know why. Part of it could be that I didn't get a real Les Paul until later in life, which is something I wanted since I got my Sonex.

Thundergod, I think in this case you should let your little head do your thinking for you...

Hey TG,

I am all about the guitar is just wood and metal (look at my signature), however there is the element of sentemental attatchment. My view about the "just wood" stems from the thought that if it was lost in a fire and nothing could be done then so be it.

My LP is the guitar I've had the longest and it's seen some good days and bad days, I have good memories with it and bad ones. I don't play her nearly as much as I used to, but it's one of the last ones (if not the last one) I would part with simply because she's been around for so long. Sort of like having an old pair of blue jeans - it's comfortable.

I say keep your tele unless you are absolutly broke and need the cash.

A guitar is more then a collection of parts. It becomes part of you. Don't sell. The only thing that would make me want to sell my LP Standard is feeding my family. As for the Robot.... who wants it. I'd trade it for a Tele American standard DLX.

Don't sell the Tele!

If you are not hard up for cash keep it.

Lot of us guys had the experience selling and then regretting it.

("... I used to have... man that was a great guitar... but...")

Take a look at my picture: I wish I still had that one!

TG.

I understand your predicament (I got rid of a '64 Strat that I'd owned for 24 years by the rationale which follows).

I suspect I am going to be in the minority but here goes;

(1) If you are not automatically saying "No! She's not for sale!" then it really is just another guitar.

(2) Beautiful though she is (and she is lovely), she can (if required) be replaced for a reasonable price by another guitar which would be exactly the same. She is not an original '51.

(3) There is no (3)

I wish you well in your choice.

Archived