Gibson Brands Forums

Country Music...

cody78

With all due respect...two of the videos are Bluegrass...NOT country. Bluegrass is a genre unto itself. A darn fine institution and one form of truly American music....but by no stretch is it country.

Now Joe Maphis is country. Red solo cup is today's country. JMHO

Very true Kaiser Bill. I should have entitled the thread Country & Bluegrass as I ended up posting the 'grass first. I was going to post some Tex Ritter, Emmylou Harris etc first, but thought some of the people who dislike country may be able to get into both styles more easily though modern bluegrass.

I grew up in Arkansas. I hated Country music. I don't now. Very talented guitarists. New country is very melodic, kinda rehashed Beatles in my opinion, but everything is rehashed Beatles in my opinion. Now that I'm older, I even like old country. Hank; good stuff.

When I was a teen in the 70s, playing in a rock and roll band, someone said to me, " Guess what? Country music is more popular than rock." I told them they were full of it. I still don't know. In the South , probably. In other places, maybe. 🏄

Aside from "Old Country," I've enjoyed "Country" by The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco,

Emmylou, Linda Ronstadt, etc., etc., etc. When I was in my late teens, I had a problem, with

those that listened to "Country," more than the actual music itself. Those folks didn't "cotton

to," us "long haired Hippy freaks," and never missed an opportunity, to make that clear,

verbally (at a minimum), and often with physical violence, or the very real threat of it.

So, for a few years, I wouldn't allow myself, to like "Country Music," because of the associated

violent memories. But, with a lot of the bands I really liked, doing more "Country" style

music, within their repertoire, I warmed up to it, once again.

CB

There's talent in there, and some of the "cross-over" stuff is ok. I've heard good things by bands like Lady Antebellum, and I love a lot of Rock music that has Country elements in it (Eagles, latter-day Byrds, etc.).

All genres of music are susceptible to being commercialized. But commercialized Country Music? Can't stand it. To me, it's simple music marketed towards simple people. Beer, trucks, girls and the inevitable over-the-top patriotic "message" songs. :blink: I mean no insult towards any fans of Country music when I say this. It's just my perception of the genre, and the reason I don't care for it.

Aside from "Old Country," I've enjoyed "Country" by The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco,

Emmylou, Linda Ronstadt, etc., etc., etc. When I was in my late teens, I had a problem, with

those that listened to "Country," more than the actual music itself. Those folks didn't "cotton

to," us "long haired Hippy freaks," and never missed an opportunity, to make that clear,

verbally (at a minimum), and often with physical violence, or the very real threat of it.

So, for a few years, I wouldn't allow myself, to like "Country Music," because of the associated

violent memories. But, with a lot of the bands I really liked, doing more "Country" style

music, within their repertoire, I warmed up to it, once again.

CB

That's interesting CB. When I was in my teens in the late 90's early 2000's I had similar experiences with Indie music fans. They would always be the ones to pick fights with people - one of my friends once got chased about half a mile up the road and given a black eye by a group of them. I still don't like Indie music much for my memories of the type of people who listen to it, plus I never really cared for Indie music in the first place. Btw, we weren't playing Country otherwise we'd have probably had a worse beating [biggrin] , I played in a few bands 1 metal, 1 jazz fusion and 1 folk

While I don't prefer Country music and never purposely listen to it I don't hate it and find alot of very piquant things about it, such as legendary guitarists...

Albert Lee, (British Country picker sensation) James Burton, and many of 'em. I must say I kinda like Vince Gill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPHr71auAzY

If it's good enough for Eric Clapton's Crossroads I can appreciate it for sure!

I'm also big on a few classics. One of the big hits of my gigs is Fulsom Prison Blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDPmT40IFFQ

For whatever reason that song always is a crowd favorite. We kill that one and I've even done an Elmore James version playing slide in Open-E! But I have such fun playing it and I went to the trouble of learning that original lick/riff from the solo and it just kills at gigs...

I ain't no country player, but I'll play Fulsom Prison Blues... Until the day I die... msp_thumbup.gif

While I don't prefer Country music and never purposely listen to it I don't hate it and find alot of very piquant things about it, such as legendary guitarists...

Albert Lee, (British Country picker sensation) James Burton, and many of 'em. I must say I kinda like Vince Gill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPHr71auAzY

If it's good enough for Eric Clapton's Crossroads I can appreciate it for sure!

I'm also big on a few classics. One of the big hits of my gigs is Fulsom Prison Blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDPmT40IFFQ

For whatever reason that song always is a crowd favorite. We kill that one and I've even done an Elmore James version playing slide in Open-E! But I have such fun playing it and I went to the trouble of learning that original lick/riff from the solo and it just kills at gigs...

I ain't no country player, but I'll play Fulsom Prison Blues... Until the day I die... msp_thumbup.gif

Lawd have mercy Jimi Mac wen are you coming back Jimi Mac Oh Jimi Oh Jimi Mac

I grew up around country and claimed to despise it. I guess I've softened on that position, at least to where I don't generalize. If I don't like a song or artist, then fine. They get hung with the same rope as a pop artist. If I DO like a country song, I no longer feel like I'm sleeping with the enemy.

And I'm a nostalgic type, so I could listen to "country oldies" all day long. I may have hated a song in 1970 but now it makes me think of the good times in 1970.

And "Red Solo Cup"..... that song brings out a side of me that none of you want to see. I don't even know who sang it but suffice to say, there'd be two men going to the river but ain't but one coming back.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but here's my rambling perspective. :rolleyes:

When I was a hop headed teenager, most of my buddies and I were into metal or "hair bands". Priest, Maiden, Sabbath and a little Van Halen, RATT, KIX... we had no real use for country music. But I had this one old friend that would sometimes tag along with me to parties and such. He would always get drunk and want to start fighting people over country music. He would get all belligerent and telling everyone how their music sucked and how Hank, Waylon and Willie etc. was "real" music. I had to drag him away from several parties before he got his a!# whipped just for being obnoxious. Years later I'm still friends with him and I've actually come around to liking a lot of that old country music, even if I don't actively listen to it. Thankfully he's grown out of wanting to fight over it.

Then several years ago I auditioned for a band that played a lot of "country" songs. I got the gig and had to learn all these songs I'd never heard of. They were mostly laid back, beachy, style songs by artist like Kenny Chesney, Jimmy Buffet, Blake Shelton and some others. I don't call myself a country picker, but I did learn to play lead guitar with a country "feel". Mostly using major scale and pentatonic major scale. I actually got to enjoy playing that stuff. It's pretty simple and melodic and once I got the style down, I could improvise pretty good to it.

Then a year or so after that (maybe 3 years ago) I was asked to fill in with my friend's son's band who plays a lot of modern country music. I figured OK I will know a lot of the songs and the style should be no problem. Well this was a whole new batch of songs and artists I'd never heard of like Jason Aldean, Eric Church, Brantley Gilbert...as I started cramming to learn these songs I quickly realized that they were just "rock" songs sung with a southern accent and about "country" subject matter like trucks, dirt roads, beer etc. Kinda like Three Doors Down... And after the previous work I'd done learning the style of major scale leads, all these new songs had the lead work in the more "rock" style of minor pentatonic. Oh well. I learned those songs just enough to get through 2 gigs and haven't played them since.

So, in conclusion, I kinda like some country music... :unsure:

I sometimes am amused by how music is pidgeonholed.

I can't define country any better than I can define rock and roll. What are they? Is it country because the singer is wearing a Nudie suit and cowboy hat and there is a pedal steel behind him? Seems like sometimes those are the only defining attributes.

And rock... I'm sure in most music stores Culture Club CDs are located in the rock section. Let that sink in.

I guess labels bug me.

Here's Hank Snow in 1950. Even with the steel and fiddle, it's more rock and roll than most of the tripe on the radio in 2015.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StvgvCoXrYA

Archived