Gibson Brands Forums

What were first three songs you learned to play on guitar?

Steven Tari

"On Top Of Old Smokey", "She'll Be Comin' Around The Mountain", and "I'll Be Working On The Railroad", from Mel Bay's "Fun With Guitar". Still one of the best books for someone to learn a few chords.

Many people around the world learned to play guitar from Mel Bay books, Mel lived in my home town. When we had a question about playing guitar, we didn't buy the book, we just went up the street and asked Mel. He couldn't answer a question without picking up a guitar and giving you a personal lesson right there in the isle of the store. I learned more about guitar playing from those 5 minute conversations than I ever will from a thousand books.

i learned (in order), start ro finish, the solos i wuld learn the basics of the solo and then i can improvise the rest. i find that i'm pretty good at playing in a way that sounds like who ever is playing the song (if i do say so myself :P )

1). all along the watchtower

2). purple haze

3). and then it was either stairway to heaven or sweet home alabama (i can't remember which came first)

smoke on the water... 3 6 8 3 6 9 8 3 6 8 6 3 scrolled on a napkin by a friend 24 years ago i still riff it out!!!! whats the latest on this killer looking explorer GIBSON is coming out with? i heard its going to be huge and its a real work of art.. i hear its sexy,mean,sleek,raw and an instant collectors item... i want one NOW!!!!!!!

First three riffs I learned were probably:

Smoke On the Water (isn't that everyones first?)

God Of Thunder

Iron Man

I don't know about complete songs but probably:

Sweet Home Alabama - Skynyrd

Peace Of Mind - Boston

Heartbreaker - Zep

Archived